I need a Digital Interface...
Aug 9, 2014 at 12:53 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

fredhammersmith

New Head-Fier
On one end of my musical computer system...
a good computer rig / Dell server, plenty of power, Windows 7, JRiver Media Center 19

On another end...
a Metric Halo ULN-2,with FireWire inputs (Mac only) and SPDif inputs (then Neumann KH120 monitors)

The transport, from the Dell computer to the ULN-2 DAC, can be of many. Here are the possibilities I am considering, for a budget of maximum 300$

1. Buy the brand new DI-2014 from Audio GD from China, to convert from USB to SPDIf, (but then I am blowing my budget) with a 30 feet USB cable from Redco (not sure which want to get). Previous experience with AudioGD: great sound, poor drivers.
  2. Buy a m2Tech hiface from a local vendor, with a 30-feet SPDif cable from Redco. 200$ for the m2tech, probably about 50$ for the SPDif cable
  3. Buy an inexpensive digital-out only PCI card (Musiland Digital Times), 50$, with a 30-feet SPDif cable from Redco.
  4. Buy a more expensive soundcard, like an Asus Azur (200$?), and use the digital-out with a 30-feet SPDif cable.

These little decisions are important, of course: we all have heard the resuts of poor digital transport and its impact on sound. And of all these solutions, I bet the AudioGD is the only one whose making any re-clocking...

So what do you think? The m2Tech seems like a sure bet (loads of praise), but am I gaining anything compared to the cheaper Musiland card? Or is there other soundcard (like the Asus) with bit-perfect output?
And for 30 feet cable transport, is there a preference between USB and SPDif?

Aug 9, 2014 at 1:01 PM Post #2 of 12
So I am not completely sure what your goals are here. Is that it that you just need to be able to run a long cable between your computer and your DAC? Can you define the problem you are trying to solve a little more clearly?

Aug 9, 2014 at 1:15 PM Post #3 of 12
Basically, yes, you defined the more important problem: the distance.
But between the AudioGD, the hiFace and the Musiland, I tend to believe that there is more involved then just swithcing from USB and SPDif.

Aug 9, 2014 at 1:48 PM Post #4 of 12
I'm still not clear on what you problems you are trying to solve other than distance. Your initial post is couched more in terms of what solutions would accomplish. I think if you could explain the problems and your needs more, people might be able to help better. They might offer different solutions.

Aug 9, 2014 at 2:59 PM Post #5 of 12
OK I undertsand what you mean.
I need to connect my Metric Halo SPDif input with my Dell Windows 7 station.
The distance is around 30 ft.
And I have a 200$-300$ budget.
24/96 is the maximum resolution I have from the Metric Halo.

Aug 9, 2014 at 3:18 PM Post #6 of 12
30 feet is pushing the edge of the recommended limit for spdif. If the Metric Halo has coaxial, I definitely would use that and get a good quality cable from Blue Jean Cable or Ghent Audio. My understanding is that coaxial is a little more reliable at a distance than optical because you can get better cables. If your computer doesn't support coaxial output, then upgrade the sound card and don't spend a lot of money on it. Since the sound card is not doing any analog conversion, typically the only benefit of a more expensive sound card in this instance would be additional DSP that, I'm guessing, you probably don't use. I wouldn't buy a $5 or $10 sound card, but any reputable entry level card from a manufacturer that supports coaxial output should be just fine.

Aug 9, 2014 at 5:00 PM Post #7 of 12
Welli, no Coax-IN with the Metric Halo. A certain config can cut the distance to 25 feet. My understanding is that USB is less reliable after 15 feet. Is something like the Audio GD DI good to overcome such problems?

Aug 11, 2014 at 6:36 AM Post #9 of 12
Why not un the problem on it's head and extend the cable betwen the interface and your speakers instead?

If you use the balanced connectors out from the ULN-2 into the KH120 then 30 feet is a trivial run. The speakers even have a built in ground lift switch. That's a better solution all ound than doing a double convertion. If you need a monitor controller at both ends then the TC level pilot or SM=Pro nano patch are balanced and cheap but with you budget so far you could probably afford a Mackie Big Knob or better still omething from SPL such as the volume 2.

Aug 11, 2014 at 1:21 PM Post #10 of 12
Eek! Apologies all round. I'm not a Mac person so I have only just realised what your main problem is.

The Metric Halo is Mac only so it doesn't have drivers for Windows Therefore your only input possibility is digital - AES, Toslink or BNC.

Since the quality of your audio will be determined pre ULN-2 whatever you do then in your position I would sell it on and get something comparable from RME, SPL or MOTU All of which offer comparable performace at lower cost and can cope with both Windows and the Mac equivalent. I doubt that suggestion will meet with your approval!

Don't forget you will need a Mac at some stage anyway in order to set up the MH correctly. You might be able to borrow one but it's never going to be very convienient.

Aug 11, 2014 at 10:27 PM Post #11 of 12
  Eek! Apologies all round. I'm not a Mac person so I have only just realised what your main problem is.

The Metric Halo is Mac only so it doesn't have drivers for Windows Therefore your only input possibility is digital - AES, Toslink or BNC.

Since the quality of your audio will be determined pre ULN-2 whatever you do then in your position I would sell it on and get something comparable from RME, SPL or MOTU All of which offer comparable performace at lower cost and can cope with both Windows and the Mac equivalent. I doubt that suggestion will meet with your approval!

Don't forget you will need a Mac at some stage anyway in order to set up the MH correctly. You might be able to borrow one but it's never going to be very convienient.

No it does not meet my approval,
tongue.gif
since I've been using the ULN-2 as a DAC with SPDif input for the past three years.
It's just that I need to replace the Digital Interface.
But the DAC is good enough for me.

Aug 12, 2014 at 6:08 AM Post #12 of 12

Users who are viewing this thread

Back