I Need a DAP - and what else?
Oct 30, 2015 at 12:21 AM Post #16 of 25

The Audezees area lot more efficient than most HiFiMans, but still, I'm not about to walk around with those, not even in a case/bag. To a meet sure, I even bring a roller bag, but not regularly. I actually tried it with the X3 before and in a relatively noisy location - which at the time was a meet - playing louder has a fair bit of distortion vs my Meier Cantate. In a quiet room the X3 will be more than enough at safe listening volumes.

True, but using an open-backed headphone in a noisy environment is far from ideal in itself, slight distortion would be the least of your problems.

But to get back on topic. You do agree that in the OP's case, using an M100, spending money on something like the Schiit stack would be entirely pointless?

Oct 30, 2015 at 1:47 AM Post #17 of 25

True, but using an open-backed headphone in a noisy environment is far from ideal in itself, slight distortion would be the least of your problems.

But to get back on topic. You do agree that in the OP's case, using an M100, spending money on something like the Schiit stack would be entirely pointless?

Aside from the weight, that's another reason why I won't use such as portables. I emphasize the weight more because there are closed versions. although I was never satisfied with the isolation on those, which is why I still prefer IEMs on the go. What I mean is that someone with an X3 but looking to get an LCD-x can get one and use it at home.

For the most part, yes. I mean if I'd say use an X3 with an IEM outside and feel free to use it with an LCD-x at home, I'd just use the X3 with the M100.

Oct 30, 2015 at 1:51 AM Post #18 of 25
  akredz, a few weeks ago on this site someone was giving away some IEMs as they had no more use for them.  It got me thinking about my equipment, which I never use anymore and keep saying I will sell or give away one day.  Anyway  the short of it is I have either a 4gb sansa clip, with spare 8gb memory card, matchbox size yes but packs a punch and can be rockboxed, or amped. Or A C&C BH portable amp. Both of these are well regarded and reviewed on this site.  If you would like one of these then you are welcome to it, I'll take care of the postage as well. And no there is no catch, I'll get my kicks thinking of someone enjoying them, rather then lying in a draw with their battery deteriorating. So just let me know if you'd like one you're more than welcome.

Very nice of you Vgoghs, If you find that C&C Amp burning your pocket I wouldn't mind taking a look myself :)

Oct 31, 2015 at 5:47 PM Post #19 of 25
  akredz, a few weeks ago on this site someone was giving away some IEMs as they had no more use for them.  It got me thinking about my equipment, which I never use anymore and keep saying I will sell or give away one day.  Anyway  the short of it is I have either a 4gb sansa clip, with spare 8gb memory card, matchbox size yes but packs a punch and can be rockboxed, or amped. Or A C&C BH portable amp. Both of these are well regarded and reviewed on this site.  If you would like one of these then you are welcome to it, I'll take care of the postage as well. And no there is no catch, I'll get my kicks thinking of someone enjoying them, rather then lying in a draw with their battery deteriorating. So just let me know if you'd like one you're more than welcome.

Wow, thanks for the offer Vgoghs,
I did a bit of review reading and if you're still of that mind, I'd love to give the C&C amp a try. I saw a couple of guys that said it worked well with their Vmoda M100.  ( mine just arrived yesterday and I spent several hours listening to music from my laptop, what a difference from the crappy laptop speakers  :) )

Still trying to decide which dap to get ............... 

Oct 31, 2015 at 7:18 PM Post #20 of 25
Hi akramz, your still welcome to the C&C amp, which incidently, pairs well with the Hidizs AP100 dap, which goes for around $250 or less on E-bay. As good as the fiio x3ii if not better, as it should be at the price. Also consider used devices.  Have you looked in," for sale/trade forum" on head-fi, as well as E-bay of course, you may find D90 eventually.
Drop me a PM with your adress and I'll post  amp to you on monday morning

PS do not buy the used AP100 from E-bay for £125.00.  Way too much.

Nov 1, 2015 at 6:11 PM Post #21 of 25
Yeah, I've been checking the for sale ads on here regularly.

Was thinking I was leaning towards the Sony, as the safe choice but I'm intrigued by the new iBasso DX80 which was launched today.

Nov 1, 2015 at 6:41 PM Post #22 of 25
Don't forget to check out used gear. I have an I basso dx50 I got for a great price on these forums. It's a great player. You'd be better off getting a less expensive DAP like the dx50 and splurging on headphones a bit more.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Dec 2, 2015 at 10:03 PM Post #24 of 25
Finally bought the Sony A 17 and am just waiting for it to arrive.

Still tempted by the DX80, but the thread on it seems to have quite a few people having issues and I got put off by that.

Dec 3, 2015 at 9:49 AM Post #25 of 25
Don't forget to check out used gear. I have an I basso dx50 I got for a great price on these forums. It's a great player. You'd be better off getting a less expensive DAP like the dx50 and splurging on headphones a bit more.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

This. I just bought a new fair priced XDUOO X3, and found that the kind of headphones you use make a big difference. I had Sennheisser Cx250 iem's and bought HiFiman RE400's to go with the X3. Much better sound, also on my old iRiver H320! Although for classical music and jazz my old semi open AKG full headphones work best. Next update will definately be a better (and open) headphone!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back