I Need a DAP - and what else?
Oct 29, 2015 at 6:28 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

akredz

New Head-Fier
A few months ago we lost everything we had in a house fire.
I'm now at the stage of starting to replace stuff and I've been doing a lot of reading on here.  
To be honest, I'm probably more confused now than I was blissfully ignorant about my options beforehand.

My wife had an older Ipod  and I had a Creative Zen X-fi (which had replaced a Zen Sleek, in my ongoing struggle to stay away from Apple)

Starting from a completely blank slate, I'm not much further forward as it seems almost every DAP has its critics and fans, each of whom seem quite persuasive about the merits or failings of each unit. 
I'd be grateful if anyone could somehow come up with a suggestion as to how I can reach a conclusion about where to spend my money.
I listen to a pretty broad range of music, from a bit of traditional Celtic folk through to hip-hop, and would probably be called a little bit of a basshead. From what I've read, I'd say I prefer a warmer, fuller sound.  Listening environment is fairly varied, from the home, transatlantic flights, leisurely walks.
My new headphones are a pair of VModa M100 (ordered but not yet arrived).

So, with a budget of around $300, what do you think I should be considering?
The shortlist sort of includes  Fiio X3ii, Sony NWZ-A17 and possibly pushing the budget for the iBasso DX90.
There seem to be quite a few moans about the Fiio UI - and after years of being a Creative user, (and an old guy) the phrase "old dogs and new tricks" springs to mind.

And just to show how out of touch I am,  do I "need" , or will  I benefit from  a portable  amp ? 

Oct 29, 2015 at 7:22 AM Post #2 of 25

To be honest, I'm probably more confused now than I was blissfully ignorant about my options beforehand.

Ah, that's a common response, it's the head-fi syndrome. Though not critically dangerous, if you're not really careful it will only get worse, this is a real rabbit hole.

No-one really needs a headphone amplifier. Some exotic headphones won't work properly without one, but that leads you to the obvious question of why you'd want to get headphones like that in the first place? I don't know. Why would someone want to buy a one-way ticket to Mars?

FiiO is a solid brand, as is Sony, don't know much about iBasso, but whichever you choose they will all sound the same, so no need to worry about that. UI, again, they tend to do more or less the same. As you've found out the tribal mentality is pretty strong around here, people will obsess about minute, or even nonexistent, issues. 

Oct 29, 2015 at 9:42 AM Post #3 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by limpidglitch /img/forum/go_quote.gif

No-one really needs a headphone amplifier. Some exotic headphones won't work properly without one, but that leads you to the obvious question of why you'd want to get headphones like that in the first place? I don't know. Why would someone want to buy a one-way ticket to Mars?

Because planars and electrostats for example have a smoother response. Of course, that's not really a problem beyond money if you're using them at home; once we get to portables I'd wonder too why people would deal with the trouble. At most I'd take a headphone like the K550 but only because it can fold flat into the documents pocket of my laptop bag, but then there's still one problem - that finish is a scratch magnet. One wrong contact with its own plug and I'll find something on it that will annoy me. Hence, I'm an IEM in an Otterbox kind of guy - still waiting for the Fiio M3 as that can fit in there easier than the X1 did.

Oct 29, 2015 at 2:38 PM Post #4 of 25
I'm buying the Schitt modi uber 2 + magni uber 2. They're a "budget" amp/DAC stuck.

They're 149$ each, just in your budget.

There's a glowing review on this stack on this forum. 

Oct 29, 2015 at 3:37 PM Post #5 of 25
This is where a real, detailed review really comes into play. You will always find a fanboy that will write a review. But to have someone write an unbiased review giving what they truly feel is the key. As an owner of the Fiio X1, and someone who has had the opportunity to listen to the A17, I will give my opinions.

The Fiio X1 (And X3ii which I listend to as well) are both very good, Obviously the X3ii has a better sound quality, but I couldn't justify the extra cost at the time. My problem that I have with Fiio, which was easy enough for me to overlook was the UI. The UI looks like a college kid tried to make something that looked like an Ipod, but stopped halfway. Be aware that the music sorting and such is VERY reliant on proper tagging. Most features cannot be accessed directly. Playlists cannot be created on the unit, but can be added to it.

All of this said, I love my little X1. I stacked mine with a Fiio Q1 later on and I am in love with it. It's not all bad. Battery life is great, and you get a lot of quality out of the cost (sub 100 for the x1, 180 for the stack).

Now the A17 also has a lot good going for it, Its loaded with features like bluetooth and such. But it depends on if these are gimmicks to you. If they are, may not be worth the extra cost. I find the A17 UI to be better, but its still not a hammered smooth UI. Quality of sound still comes out well thought. The questions you will need to ask yourself is if the extra cost is worth it. 100 for the x1 (180 for the x1/q1 stack), 200 for the x3ii, or 300 for the A17.

I realize that this probably hasn't answered any questions. But my point is, I don't think you'll be sad about any of them. So ask yourself if the extra features given are worth your extra money.

Oct 29, 2015 at 5:46 PM Post #6 of 25
akredz, this is a great question and very timely for me. I am shopping for my first portable player and am looking for good sound quality (I primarily listen to classical music), but also ease/simplicity of loading music and accessing it (I am really a newbie at this). From what I've read here, for SQ I'm considering Fiio X3II or X5ii (if I push my pricepoint), iBasso DX50 or DX90 (again a price issue with DX90),or maybe Sony NWZ-A17 (but seems a bit large) or Astell and Kern Jr (but that really pushes my pricepoint). My main question is, as a newbie, which is likely to be easiset to use/most glitch-free?

I'm not trying to hijack akredz's thread here, so please let me know if I should repost n a new thread.

Thanks for any advice.

Oct 29, 2015 at 7:38 PM Post #7 of 25

I'm not trying to hijack akredz's thread here, so please let me know if I should repost n a new thread.

Thanks for any advice.

No problem at all classicalman, your questions (and budget) are almost exactly the same as mine, so hopefully we will both benefit from the community's collective wisdom.

I have read great things about the A&K players, but as the cheapest one I have seen is around $500, I've pretty much removed them from my thinking.

Oct 29, 2015 at 7:42 PM Post #8 of 25

No problem at all classicalman, your questions (and budget) are almost exactly the same as mine, so hopefully we will both benefit from the community's collective wisdom.

I have read great things about the A&K players, but as the cheapest one I have seen is around $500, I've pretty much removed them from my thinking.

Look into used AK players, get the same sound for less.

Oct 29, 2015 at 7:55 PM Post #10 of 25
  I'm buying the Schitt modi uber 2 + magni uber 2. They're a "budget" amp/DAC stuck.

They're 149$ each, just in your budget.

There's a glowing review on this stack on this forum. 

But I'd still need to provide a music source, would I not ?   And I want my setup to be portable. I don't mind a bit of heft, it doesn't need to be matchbox size.

Oct 29, 2015 at 8:22 PM Post #12 of 25
  Watagump, I see from your signature, you have the DX90.  Can I ask your thoughts on it?

Its a decent player, battery life is meh. BUT, I came from a Cowon J3, so i was use to  godly battery life. I am looking to upgrade my player, waiting for a loan n a couple of AK players. I recently listened to the QP1 and QP1R, the 1R is also on my list, but of course these are all much more expensive players. The DX90 has slightly better clarity over the Cowon, which is the main thing I look for when upgrading in sound.

Oct 29, 2015 at 9:31 PM Post #13 of 25
akredz, a few weeks ago on this site someone was giving away some IEMs as they had no more use for them.  It got me thinking about my equipment, which I never use anymore and keep saying I will sell or give away one day.  Anyway  the short of it is I have either a 4gb sansa clip, with spare 8gb memory card, matchbox size yes but packs a punch and can be rockboxed, or amped. Or A C&C BH portable amp. Both of these are well regarded and reviewed on this site.  If you would like one of these then you are welcome to it, I'll take care of the postage as well. And no there is no catch, I'll get my kicks thinking of someone enjoying them, rather then lying in a draw with their battery deteriorating. So just let me know if you'd like one you're more than welcome.

Oct 29, 2015 at 11:01 PM Post #14 of 25

Because planars and electrostats for example have a smoother response. Of course, that's not really a problem beyond money if you're using them at home; once we get to portables I'd wonder too why people would deal with the trouble. At most I'd take a headphone like the K550 but only because it can fold flat into the documents pocket of my laptop bag, but then there's still one problem - that finish is a scratch magnet. One wrong contact with its own plug and I'll find something on it that will annoy me. Hence, I'm an IEM in an Otterbox kind of guy - still waiting for the Fiio M3 as that can fit in there easier than the X1 did.

If we take something like the Audezes at 102 dB/mW, an X3 supplying 200mW into 32Ω will give you an SPL beyond 120dB, well into the land of pain.

There are other headphones that require more, but they are like electrostats, very rare and more of a special interest thing.

Oct 29, 2015 at 11:37 PM Post #15 of 25

If we take something like the Audezes at 102 dB/mW, an X3 supplying 200mW into 32Ω will give you an SPL beyond 120dB, well into the land of pain.

There are other headphones that require more, but they are like electrostats, very rare and more of a special interest thing.

The Audezees area lot more efficient than most HiFiMans, but still, I'm not about to walk around with those, not even in a case/bag. To a meet sure, I even bring a roller bag, but not regularly. I actually tried it with the X3 before and in a relatively noisy location - which at the time was a meet - playing louder has a fair bit of distortion vs my Meier Cantate. In a quiet room the X3 will be more than enough at safe listening volumes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back