I need a closed K701
Oct 7, 2008 at 11:32 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

Kane-DK

100+ Head-Fier
I need a headphone for work, so it has to be closed.

Recently I heard the K701 (from a zero dac/amp) an was really impressed, by the soundstage and the general presentation - it really suited my tastes.

Now, which closed phone will be the most like the K701?

Oct 7, 2008 at 11:43 AM Post #2 of 13
AKG 271s might fit your bill. These cans have a terrific midrange, accurate bass--some find it lean, but it is good--and gentle highs. This is a very non-fatiguing headphone. The old model is the one to try to find. You might want to get the velour ear cushions as this will accentuate the bass and is much more comfortable than the stock pleather ear cushions (they make your ears sweat). I have both the 271s and the 701's. And even though they are different animals, one can tell that they are related.

The 271s are great for classical, jazz, folk, acoustic. They are a tad bit too polite for rock, punk, metal, and grunge, but them I'm a Grado guy at heart. You might want to give the 271s a whirl.

Cheers!

Oct 7, 2008 at 11:51 AM Post #3 of 13
Hmmm, closest closed 'phone to the K701 in my experience has been the ATH-W5000 (specifically, the spaciousness and soundstage characteristics).

Oct 7, 2008 at 1:16 PM Post #5 of 13
Thanks for the replys so far.

I should offcourse have mentioned that k721s not is a option. I have owned these and I don't like them that much, I don't feel they are like K701.

About the denons. I have tried the D2000, I liked that one, but it feels very fragile and also the fit wasn't great - don't know if that is better with D5000/D7000.

That leaves me with the W5000 - is that my best option?

Oct 7, 2008 at 1:50 PM Post #6 of 13
I would try to give the W5000 a test run first. I really liked it but it was too bright for my ears and it was not very comfortable. There are mods out there you can try that may help the comfort factor though. The Denons are extremely comfortable on the other hand. Both are great phones though.

Oct 7, 2008 at 2:59 PM Post #7 of 13
W5000 for work? They are closed by design only, and leak inside same as K701.
Afraid your only option is K271S (try them with velour pads), unless you want explore IEMs, ER4S comes close to K701 tonality.

Oct 7, 2008 at 6:24 PM Post #8 of 13
I'd agree that my minor quibbles aside, the k271 has many presentation similarities to the k701, but of course less soundstage. You'll pay through the nose for k701 soundstage closed though, so I assume you're willing to do without.

Take the time to break in the velour pads though, I had to forcibly squish the cups onto my head several times to get reasonable bass out of them.

Oct 7, 2008 at 9:03 PM Post #9 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrew_WOT /img/forum/go_quote.gif
W5000 for work? They are closed by design only, and leak inside same as K701.
Afraid your only option is K271S (try them with velour pads), unless you want explore IEMs, ER4S comes close to K701 tonality.

I'm not that conserned about noise from the outside, but more about leakage from the headphones and here W5000, being a closed design, most be better than the open design K701 - or is that a wrong conslusion?

I have ER4S and like them very much, allthough I'm currently without a portable amp to drive them properly - but I find them a bit unconfortable to wear for longer periods of time.

Oct 7, 2008 at 11:17 PM Post #12 of 13
The w5000 is very good but are very particular about quality of rest of components feeding them. Also, there are some reported fit issues. Minimal leakage, IME.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back