I need a cheap usb dac/amp for grados.
Apr 11, 2008 at 2:00 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

ok computer

100+ Head-Fier
Like the title says I need a cheap ($100ish) dac/amp for use with grado sr 225. I was thinking about either the emu 0202, or the hotusb1 from hotaudio40. Which would be a better choice for the phones?

Apr 11, 2008 at 6:16 PM Post #2 of 3
Has anyone ever used both of these dacs?

Apr 11, 2008 at 8:39 PM Post #3 of 3
^ Slim pickins' in that price range. Not because of the quality of products, but because you're asking for ALOT. Many of your better amps alone are double that, and on top of that, you're asking for a DAC. Hmmm.....if you have a laptop, an Indigo DJ is $120-140ish depending on where you shop and it has both a DAC and amp. There's two jacks, so that you can use JUST the DAC and use your own amp, or use the integrated amp in the DJ. The amp can drive most anything to really loud levels while maintaining its very neutral if not sterile sound. It does absolutely no tailoring to the music, so if that's what you're looking for, it's probably not the best choice. With Grado's it's hit or miss because the sterile sound of the DJ makes for an already bright presentation, add the Grado sound to it and some like it, some don't....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back