I need a cartridge recommendation
Jul 8, 2006 at 4:51 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

happyangryhappy

100+ Head-Fier
I have a NAD 533 turntable and I think it is time to replace the stock Goldring Electra cartridge. What is a good cartridge in the ~$200 range that would mate well with the stock rega tonearm - (as I hear Grados have grounding issues with it)?

Also, I don't know if it makes any difference, but my phonostage is a NAD PP2.

Thanks
biggrin.gif

Jul 8, 2006 at 10:46 AM Post #2 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by happyangryhappy
I have a NAD 533 turntable and I think it is time to replace the stock Goldring Electra cartridge. What is a good cartridge in the ~$200 range that would mate well with the stock rega tonearm - (as I hear Grados have grounding issues with it)?

Also, I don't know if it makes any difference, but my phonostage is a NAD PP2.

Thanks
biggrin.gif

The standard budget recommendation is the Shure M97xE.At about the same price I much prefer the AT-120E which you can get at Garage A Records.For more money you can get the high output moving coil Denon DL-160 which I have no experience with but is highly reguarded at the $180 level.The Audio Technica is amazing for the price but expect about a 50 hour break-in period to smooth out and open up.

Jul 8, 2006 at 8:12 PM Post #3 of 6
you are in a nice price range...if you like the goldring sound...they have several nice mm cartridges in your range...i used the 1006 for a few years with an rb300 arm...if you look unsed (100 hours or so) then a 1022 or maybe even a 1042 would be within reach. if you start with a 1006 you can upgrade over time by replacing the needle as well.

Jul 8, 2006 at 10:49 PM Post #5 of 6
I'm using a denon DL110 at the moment on a linn basik arm through a nad pp2. Its a high output MC, you're meant to put it through the MM input but I have mine through the MC input. Sound is excellent, great dynamics, this has to be one of the best value carts around. Cost me about €85, I suppose thats about $110-115 or so. Bought from ebay - search for a guy "williamthakker". Beats the hell out of a grado prestige gold that I also have - eh, if you want to buy that I'd be willing to sell!!!

The higher model DL160 is apparently exactly the same but with a conical shaped cantilever. Next time I need to replace mine I'll go for that one to see the difference.

Quite a difference between MM and MC - go for the MC if you can at all. I have small kids, so its just not worth the risk of going for a $$$$$cart, these carts allow you to get a good flavour of MC without spending wads.

Fran

Users who are viewing this thread

Back