I need a better source/streamer
Nov 13, 2021 at 5:34 PM Post #16 of 21
Thanks for the suggestion but unless I’ve read incorrectly, the Antipodes audio products won’t work because I don’t have any existing digital media hence why I’m exclusively using music streaming services.
It uses many service streaming apps, but if it’s functions don’t match your needs, only you can tell.

Nov 13, 2021 at 8:55 PM Post #17 of 21
I’m currently using an 11in iPad Pro (A12 chip) as my source as I too am exclusively streaming music and concur that it’s been able to handle all the different bit rates seamlessly from Qobuz and Apple Music. *It’s as seamless as switching between the apps on the iPad Pro.*

One thing to consider though, is with this setup the OP will be restricted to the USB cable length and from my reading, it’s recommended not to exceed *1.5m

@u2u2 - Would you mind sharing what USB cable you’re currently using? I’m looking at upgrading to a better quality USB cable from the generic one I’m using.
Been using an Audioquest Cinnamon the most, used a Nordost Blue Heaven for years, and also use a stock Chord USB. The Cinnamon is USB C to B so it goes with the iPad and is perfect. Good cost benefit ratio and dongle free. Paired Cinnamon with a Qutest, Anni, Utopia, and iPad Pro today. Stunning performance streaming Apple Music. Apple is constantly upping their game very quietly.

Nov 13, 2021 at 11:54 PM Post #18 of 21
Been using an Audioquest Cinnamon the most, used a Nordost Blue Heaven for years, and also use a stock Chord USB. The Cinnamon is USB C to B so it goes with the iPad and is perfect. Good cost benefit ratio and dongle free. Paired Cinnamon with a Qutest, Anni, Utopia, and iPad Pro today. Stunning performance streaming Apple Music. Apple is constantly upping their game very quietly.

Thanks for sharing, yep aside from the generic brands, Audioquest and Nordost, there are not many other USB C to B cables.

I’ve considered using a USB A to B cable from the major cable manufacturers alongside a USB C dock with the iPad Pro but don’t like the added bulk and potential loss in quality of signal via this option.

So will be open to other options and doing some more research into Antipodes that was suggested by Whazzzup.

Nov 14, 2021 at 12:49 AM Post #19 of 21
It's too bad Nativ closed up shop from Covid and has disappeared ever since. Their Vita music server was a big Android-based machine with touch display, and it could do Tidal, Qobuz, and Apple Music (plus Amazon music and Pandora and Spotify etc). Started out really buggy and got better over time, though they folded before quite squashing all the bugs. Still, conceptually it was amazing, and would have been an easy recommendation if they were still active.

I still have mine, but the apps don't work any longer, due to being such old versions. Too bad.

Nov 14, 2021 at 4:24 AM Post #20 of 21
Thanks for sharing, yep aside from the generic brands, Audioquest and Nordost, there are not many other USB C to B cables.
The Wireworld Platinum Starlight 8 USB 2.0 cable is another option ($C to B, 1m, $500). Sad and strange that none of their more affordable options are available as C to B, and that no other lengths are offered for this variant.

Last edited:
Nov 21, 2021 at 3:31 PM Post #21 of 21
I had the Emperical Audio Interchange Network Renderer for a bit, and it was incredible, but isn't very flexible. It made me a firm believer in jitter being a huge culprit when it comes to sound quality. It isn't a stand-alone server + streamer, however. You would need a NAS with, say, Bubble upnp + minimServer. I should have in hindsight held on to it, but didn't want to go down the rabbit hole of getting a network switch, etc.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back