I need a $50-100 DAP
Jan 12, 2007 at 10:04 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

XxATOLxX

Headphoneus Supremus
Hey I was wondering if there were any good daps within the $50-100 range. I'm gonna need it to be really portable and compact so its easy to carry around. I was initially considering a 1g iPod shuffle and still am, but would like a screen. So are those mini-thumbstick DAPs with a screen any good? Any recommendations?

Jan 13, 2007 at 2:13 AM Post #2 of 9
I have a Creative Zen Nano 1GB, and like its size/portability and use of a AAA battery (convenient in some situations). The sound is fine -- nothing jaw-dropping, but I've used it at work, while exercising, on busses, in the hospital once, and on a cross-country plane flight once. Simple drag and drop using Windows folders, and the tiny screen is used primarily for toggling between folders (I usually play in random mode within a given folder, depending on what grouping of songs I want to play).

With better sound is the Samsung YP-U2, which is like a first generation iPod Nano but with a screen. The sound is really good, in my opinion ... of course file size/type and earphoes/headphones will have a lot to do with that. The relatively new computers at work have forward-facing USB ports, so it's easy to take off the USB cap and plug the player into the computer to recharge. I use this strictly as a "shuffle" player, and I have the earlier 512 MB version, so at any time I have around 60 192 kbps song files in the player.

I have a 4GB 2nd generation iPod Nano and like its screen and ease of navigation, but I don't require those features in a small-capacity player such as my Creative and Samsung. I'm not sure I would get a 1Gb version of the iPod Nano, but your requirements could be different.

I don't know about current prices for these: Cowon makes excellent-sounding flash players ... I used to have the iAudio 5 (AAA battery), and it had almost infinite sound customization options -- almost too many. The iAudio U2 has long been praised as an excellent player for minimalist uses, and they make a G3 and G2, which use AA batteries. I would think the U3 costs more than you're looking to pay. Also, iRiver makes a much-praised AA battery-powered flash DAP, but I haven't heard it.

Finally, Apple has factory refurbs, with warranties, on its Web site -- good prices can be found on some of their players; check for current availability.

[Edit: I just read your sig. -- so I didn't need to explain to you about the iAudio players! I think they would have the sound quality you might have grown accustomed to.]

Jan 13, 2007 at 6:56 AM Post #3 of 9
If sound quality and "ultracompactness" is not at the top of your priorities, consider the Insignia NS-DV4G. Insignia is indeed Best Buy's house brand, but this player really packs a lot of value. It does not necessarily sound BAD, but it isn't that GREAT sounding either.

If you can, get it for about $60-70 shipped on eBay (minor cosmetic imperfections). It is indeed a 4GB player for very cheap. This model has not been discussed much here, but it has been discussed heavily at the DAPreview forums here.

It really is one of the best values in the DAP market if you get it cheap (which is not that hard on eBay).

Jan 13, 2007 at 7:54 AM Post #4 of 9
Samsung YP-U2 is a great sounding player for the money. Its not the biggest screen....but its 9 band EQ and decent amount of volume.

Jan 13, 2007 at 4:25 PM Post #5 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by PeterDLai /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If sound quality and "ultracompactness" is not at the top of your priorities, consider the Insignia NS-DV4G. Insignia is indeed Best Buy's house brand, but this player really packs a lot of value. It does not necessarily sound BAD, but it isn't that GREAT sounding either.

If you can, get it for about $60-70 shipped on eBay (minor cosmetic imperfections). It is indeed a 4GB player for very cheap. This model has not been discussed much here, but it has been discussed heavily at the DAPreview forums here.

It really is one of the best values in the DAP market if you get it cheap (which is not that hard on eBay).

I Second.

Jan 13, 2007 at 6:20 PM Post #6 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by wafflesomd /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I Second.

I have to say, that the Insignia players are great value. However, their sound is alittle less then desired. I found it to be very flat overall. The volume not near high enough to push a decent set of phones (Like KSC75, 60ohm). I had one for about 1 full battery charge. I never found a good sound for it. I ended up returning it for a Sansa 2gb.

In fact if you really want some info, here is a list of my DAPs that ive used:

Isignia 2gb - decent player for money, sound is eh, volume is eh.
Sansa 2gb - Ok functions, decent screen. BAD SOUND, sounds hollow.
Samsung YP-U2- Best sounding DAP ive heard in a while. 9band EQ, small screen and writing.
Zen V Plus 2gb - Great little player, sounds ok...decent volume. OLED display..eh. It washes out badly in sun.
iRiver Clix 2gb - Great sounding player, plenty of bass and volume. However using the custom EQ will turn on this anti-distortion feature. This cuts all the volume from 30-40 (40 tops) on the player. THIS SUCKS. Great screen, great os, great functions. However, the no Custom EQ use makes it seem like a Ipod to me.

This were all used before i returned them to best buy. Listed is pretty much the reasons why they were returned. Right now im using a ZVM 30GB and love it. The bass is ALOT less then the Clix, but its nice and tight. Just the way i like it.

Hope this helps.

Jan 13, 2007 at 10:24 PM Post #7 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by XxATOLxX /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I was initially considering a 1g iPod shuffle and still am, but would like a screen.

Stick with your original thought IMHO. You can get a refurb 1gig 1st gen shuffle on apples site for $59. I have been pleasantly surprised by its Power and Sound Quality. The screen is not a problem as I'm packing it in my pocket not looking at it anyway. It will easily drive any of the portable cans or IEM's you can throw at it.

Good Luck

Jan 14, 2007 at 3:21 AM Post #8 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by HighLife /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The volume not near high enough to push a decent set of phones (Like KSC75, 60ohm).

Wow, I use the Insignia NS-DV4G to play through my Koss KSC75 and it sounds loud enough for me at 50-75% of the total volume. Full volume is unlistenable.

Jan 14, 2007 at 7:35 AM Post #9 of 9
Thanks for the advice
wink.gif

I'm pretty much split between the Insignia, Samsung YP-U2, or iPod Shuffle. So its probably the best deal wins.
eggosmile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back