I need a 32GB player (or more) to use with Super Fi. 5s
Apr 24, 2010 at 12:00 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Pott

100+ Head-Fier
Well yeah... my Sony A729 and Clip 8GB/Clip + 4GB are great but simply not cutting it in terms of space. I have over 64GB of MP3s and I would love a player to have at least half of these on it, or the full amount.

There's definitely a purchase soon for an iPod 5.5G to be rockboxed, but right now I'm looking at a Flash player for this purpose.

I want at least 32GB and especially a good amp, without hiss, to use with the Super Fi. 5 I should receive soon. It needs external control buttons if it's a touchscreen.

I don't want to use an external amplifier nor will I, quite simply. I MAY order a Fiio5 when I order my Soundmagic PL50s but that's not quite for now and it's mostly just for kicks.

So that leaves the Cowon S9 (doesn't inspire me confidence though I do love the Cowon sound and miss my D2), the Sony X (perfect size, content, UI... but the hiss...
frown.gif
) and potentially the new Cowon J3 but it's not even out yet and could probably be more expensive
frown.gif

The X would really be the best choice but the SF5 are low impedance and will likely hiss with it...

Any solutions to this life altering dilema? :
popcorn.gif

Thanks!

Apr 24, 2010 at 5:16 PM Post #3 of 7
If this will help, I have Superfi 3's and a Creative Zen that sounds great. I know the 5's are up the scale quite a bit from my 3's, but I don't hear any hiss and like that I can turn the sound way down w/o the music getting "fuzzy" or whatever you call it when you turn the music down too low on phones.

Apr 24, 2010 at 5:40 PM Post #4 of 7
The SQ on the Zen's isn't up to snuff. I would know, I have 1 and it's disappointing.

Apr 25, 2010 at 9:51 AM Post #5 of 7
Yeah I'm no huge fan of the Zen. I had one, and even though I knew nothing about MP3 players at the time I thought it sounded less good than my old Samsung K3. It was also very buggy. It's a real shame. It's a great shape/size, great UI... but the bugs and the SD card not integrating was a killer for me.

I'm also considering a Cowon D2+ (again) with a 32GB SD card, if they're cheap enough these days. It seems you can find them for around 70 euros... So 150 for Cowon D2+, 70 for the card... That's 220 and I know the amp is rather good there. The 32GB X is only about 250 here though...

Apr 25, 2010 at 11:25 AM Post #6 of 7
I have super.fi 5 too, and I can recommend you cowon s9 and iTouch. Both players sounds really good with UE. Cowon needs of course eqing, touch sounds good on flat eq. Lately I heard sony x, but I really didn't like sound, especially bass sounded strange. If I were you, I would buy iTouch, and then in the future LOD & amp.

Apr 25, 2010 at 5:04 PM Post #7 of 7
I'm not interested in the iPod touch at all.

The players I'm considering:

X1060
Cowon D2 + with a 32GB SD card (IF I know it can drive the SF 5s V2 correctly)
Cowon S9
Cowon J3 (and wait a little for the 32GB version to come out)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back