I need a 3 FOOT long LOD cable that won't fail after three months!
Mar 12, 2011 at 10:53 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

jj69

500+ Head-Fier
Are there any truly high quality LOD cables out there?  I'm not looking for a high end 4" cable to run to a headphone amp.  I need something consumer quality about 3-4 FEET long just for use in the car. 

I've bought several of them from Amazon: no name brands, Belkin, and most recently CablesToGo brand.  They all last between two to four months, then become intermittent.  The connection at either the dock end or the 3.5mm plug end start to fail.  It's incredibly annoying, especially considering that the cable gets light use and never leaves the car. 

Does such a cable exist? 

Mar 13, 2011 at 12:00 AM Post #2 of 4
I'm assuming an iPod/iPhone LOD?
I use a LOD like this one.  The same are on eBay for less $.  You supply your own mini to mini cable.  So you can use a 3' to 4' cable in the car and a 6" cable when using a portable amp.  If the cable goes bad you can get a replacement mini to mini cable reasonably cheaply (certainly cheaper than a new LOD).

Mar 13, 2011 at 12:43 AM Post #3 of 4
Wow.  FANTASTIC idea!  It's actually for a gen 5.5 iPod. 

What is this thing called?  What do I search under on eBay? 

Also, what do you recommend for a 3' cable? 

Mar 13, 2011 at 1:06 PM Post #4 of 4
Search eBay for "iphone line out" or "ipod line out" and you'll find it.  It's available from several different (mostly Hong Kong) sellers for a range of prices.

I don't know what to suggest for cable.  I just use whatever cable I see that looks adequate in construction and design.  Monoprice has a 3 foot premium mini to mini cable that looks robust.  Possibly too bulky though to be convenient.  I'm not into the fancy cables.  My setup is wired mostly with Hosa and Monoprice premium and similar cables.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back