I need a $200 SS amp fast
Jan 9, 2009 at 4:30 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

pyramid6

100+ Head-Fier
I have a tube amp on order (should be here in about 3 and a half weeks). I need something to tied me over until it gets here. I would prefer a desktop amp. I don't need a DAC. I want to order something today and have it shipped today. It's to drive AKG K701s.

Thanks

Jan 9, 2009 at 4:40 PM Post #2 of 9
Meier Corda Arietta $225 including shipping.
Cute Beyond $187 plus shipping (I think someone is selling a mint one in for sale forum for $120).
OBH-11 on EBay for $89.

Jan 9, 2009 at 6:17 PM Post #3 of 9
To tide you over lol, can't you just wait? If you buy cheapo ss amp, it'll just be collecting dust when you tube amp arrives. Just suck it up and wait!

Jan 9, 2009 at 7:18 PM Post #4 of 9
I was hoping to get a decent amp to use at the office when my tube amp gets delivered. So I will need to spend more to get a decent amp worth keeping? How much more?

Thanks

Jan 9, 2009 at 7:30 PM Post #5 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by peanuthead /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Meier Corda Arietta $225 including shipping.
Cute Beyond $187 plus shipping (I think someone is selling a mint one in for sale forum for $120).
OBH-11 on EBay for $89.

Add Travagans Red to the list - very slightly better than Cute Beyond when stock and more so with AD743 or OPA627 opamps, but either amp can change sound with a swap in the opamps. See my profile "about me" for a link to the review of Travagans and the review of Cute beyond. Both are slightly better with Grados than my Meier Headfive (similar to Arietta), but otherwise the three are on a similar level of performance. All of these I mention are better than a $150-200 maxed DIY PIMETA I had (AD744).

Jan 9, 2009 at 10:52 PM Post #6 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by pyramid6 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I was hoping to get a decent amp to use at the office when my tube amp gets delivered. So I will need to spend more to get a decent amp worth keeping? How much more?

Thanks

If you're willing to stretch your budget to $400...
Head-Direct EF1 (hybrid)
Graham Slee Novo
Purity Audio KICAS
Eddie Current EC/SS

These are all small-footprint, but very good perfomers - perfect for office.

Jan 9, 2009 at 11:48 PM Post #8 of 9
upgraditus^2...i like it

Users who are viewing this thread

Back