I need 5 min of your time for you to measure your round earpads. I desperately need some with 80mm diameter and > 20mm thickness!
Mar 5, 2015 at 1:35 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Giogio

Bluetooth Guru
Hello guys,
 and please Mods forgive my terrible terrible cross post.
But, I have proven enough that I am not an ******* but a "ready to help" guy and now I need help but I get none.
So, cross post :frowning2:

I need earpads. They must be round, have an outer diameter of 80mm (3.15 inches) or few mm more, and must be thicker than 2cm (0.80 inches). I mean, 2cm is not enough. They must be at least 25mm thick (1"). Or 23mm, but not 20.

So, please, could you take a measuring device of any kind and measure outer diameter and thickness of your earpads and let me know to which headphone they belong, so that I can find the right earpads in internet?
Because the problem is that the 90% of sellers have no idea of the dimensions of the Earpads they sell. They have a list of Earpads organized for compatible Headphone, and only very very very few of them are willing to get up from their seat and spend 5 minutes of their time giving a look at their round headphones to help a customer.
I have written to DOZENS and dozens of them, and no chance.
Also Shure, Beyerdynamic, AKG and Sennheiser and Audio Technica.
No hope.
You are my last chance.

Thanks!!!

Mar 5, 2015 at 1:55 PM Post #2 of 6
Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro velours (and presumably DT880 and DT990) are 60mm internal diameter and about 23mm deep.

You might find AKG k550 pads are bigger diameter, but don't know about depth.

Mar 5, 2015 at 2:08 PM Post #3 of 6
Thanks.
They will not work then.
I am limited by the outer diameter of 80mm.
I can suppose that a bit bigger diameter will still work, as far as the opening of the sleeve on the back is small enough.
In my case the original earpads have an opening on the back of 65mm, which means that (I suppose) maybe a pad with outer diameter of 90mm COULD work if the opening on the back is also 65mm.
But I am not sure.
As far as I know the DT770 has an outer diameter of 100mm, right? I think it may be a bit too much.

Yes, the AKG are way too big.

Mar 5, 2015 at 2:26 PM Post #4 of 6
Ah, right. I mean the internal diameter of the cushioned area, as in the amount of room for an ear. 100mm is probably right for the actual fitting to headphone diameter.

Is the situation that your pads are damaged and need replacing? You haven't stated your reason for needing this, which might be limiting the responses you get. If you need replacements for existing cans, does the manufacturer not provide parts?

I'm guessing the likely situation is that you are trying to get pads for a diy / Franken-phone?

Edit - I see you have now explained. My bad - should have paid more attention.

Mar 5, 2015 at 4:29 PM Post #5 of 6
Edit - I see you have now explained. My bad - should have paid more attention.

Did I?
Maybe, but, not here.
I have tried to keep it so, general. Abstract.
But maybe you are right, I can be more precise: I have spent MONTHS comparing Bluetooth Headphones.
I had a favourite one, and I was happy with it. No other BT Headphone could please me.
Then I had to send that back, for some problems which are general in that model.
And just in that moment I have finally found one which is even better, and I was really happy.
I am very satisfied with this new headphone, the Audio Technica ATH-WS99BT.
But there is ONE problem, which ruin my perfect happiness: the designer of these headphones was somebody with very very very flat ears, and he thought that everybody has got ears like him.
Unfortunately, if you have a look in the thread for the ATH-WS99 (the wired version), LOT of people complain: the earpads are so thin that their ears touch the drivers and this is very uncomfortable after a while (whose length depend on how protruding and sensitive are your ears).
The problem is, Audio Technica makes no other thicker earpads. And buying a replacement of the same of course makes no sense.
And the other problem (this I had explained it) is that the shops which sell earpads do not have them classified for dimensions but for compatible headphones, and are to lazy to take a few measures.
Even Companies like Sennheiser answered me that they have made lot of headphones but have no record of the dimensions of the earpads (I could not believe that!).
It became impossible to search something based on dimensions.
SO my only chance is to ask you guys, and if somebody finally will tell me "yeah, my earpads are 80mm large and 25mm thick, my headphone is the xxx", I can just search for earpads for xxx.

I like these ATH-WS99BT so much that I do NOT want to send them back.
I need new earpads!!!
I need help from the Head-Fiers!

In the thread about the ATH-WS99 (120 pages) somebody at the beginning came out with the Brainwavz HM5 as solution. They are oval and look ugly on this headphones. They do not even seal completely, but only on the short side (obviously, given that the headphones are round!).
And some people say they affect the sound negatively, just where the ATH-WS99 excel: bass and mids.
So, I want to search for something which fit them better.

This is the story.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back