I nearly broke one of my dt770 wire, the white one that goes to the right ear cup, how do I repair it ?
Apr 9, 2021 at 5:19 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

Sustenter

New Head-Fier
Hello,

So I tried changing the cable of my dt770 today, it was pretty difficult, the welding takes ages to melt since I linger for 2 sec on each dot of metal to not burn the driver.

I made 3 big mistakes : I accidentally melted part of the white wire, so now it's bent at nearly a 90° angle, and I soldiered the red one to 2 dot of metal since my setup is instable.

I also kept hitting the plastic part with the soldiering iron, so there is a fair bit of melted plastic on the tip of the red wire, will it work or should I strip it ?
For the white one, if I also just cut of the melted part and strip it, will it be okay ?

Here 2 pictures to judge :
photo_post_headfi1[1].jpg
photo_post_headfi2[1].jpg

Thank you.

Apr 9, 2021 at 7:00 PM Post #2 of 3
At this point I would remove both wires from their soldering pads. I would then strip off the wire on the cable and prepare those ends to be soldered. This includes tinning them so they can attach easier. Clean up the soldering pads on the circuit board.

Apr 11, 2021 at 11:53 AM Post #3 of 3
It feels like cables and insulation aren't like they used to be. In the 1970s and 1980s I soldered thousands of connections of all kinds using a 15W iron. Now I'm noticing what the OP said, it's very hard to solder and insulation burns. (Yeah, I'm using 60/40 tin/Pb like I did back then)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back