I miss Shure E5c which sub-150 IEM sounds closest?
Dec 29, 2005 at 7:36 PM Post #2 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by CamelBackCinema
I miss my E5's but am tight on money, I am looking at both ety, UM's, and shures. At first thought, it seems shure would be the obvious choice but are they really?

UE EBs.. Think you going to loose detail on Shure's but the bass will be better controlled.

Dec 30, 2005 at 12:35 AM Post #3 of 7
http://www.jr.com/JRProductPage.process?Product=4066466

I have the UM2 which is similar to the E5 according to some but I picked up the iM716 two days ago and it's the best IEM *I've* ever heard. It's a version of the ER4P/S made by Ety for Altec. Heck of a score for $119!
etysmile.gif

Dec 30, 2005 at 12:42 AM Post #4 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by Spiritboxer
http://www.jr.com/JRProductPage.process?Product=4066466

I have the UM2 which is similar to the E5 according to some but I picked up the iM716 two days ago and it's the best IEM *I've* ever heard. It's a version of the ER4P/S made by Ety for Altec. Heck of a score for $119!
etysmile.gif

those only come in white
frown.gif

Dec 30, 2005 at 2:46 AM Post #5 of 7
I have also loved my E5c's for a very long time, and the closest I have ever heard to it, is the Westone UM2. They actually use the same drivers, as was confirmed by a member, who is a Westone, member of the trade.
icon10.gif

Dec 30, 2005 at 4:17 AM Post #6 of 7
If you get lucky, you might be able to get a pair of E4c's from under 150. Seeing as some people like them more than the E5's, I don't think you'd be missing too much. Going for the sure thing might be to your advantage if you don't want to be disappointed by experimenting.

Dec 30, 2005 at 7:36 AM Post #7 of 7
Tall order,that: IEM's under $150 that sound closest to E5's. Sorry,but I think you won't get close at all with that budget. E4's with UM56 tips will get you quite close to E5's with anything (to my ears) in the stock Shure fit-kit applied to stock E5's. And going that route will also provide slightly brighter,more detailed treble in comparison with the stock E5 tips on E5's,while bringing up the slightly recessed bass on the 4's in comparison to stock Shure tips.
I've spent several weeks now swapping out E4 and E5's (both fitted with UM56 inserts) through several dozen songs I know very well,through two sources (Zen Micro,Zen Sleek) amped (AE-1) and unamped. Won't bore you with some soundcard comments through a couple of different computers using WAV.files as first link.
Perhaps saving a bit until you can order either UM2's or E4's with the custom UM56 inserts will satisfy your ears and your wallet in your quest to approach the ear candy your E5's provided you? I think Shure did a modestly amazing job in engineering the E4,and I also think it highly unlikely that you'll find anything in your current budget ballpark that will match or exceed it; add the premium bump for UM56's plants you squarely in UM2 terf on price-point.
So...What to do? Plan ahead and/or budget more and be patient? Yup.
Good luck,whichever path (spend your budget right now,or save for later) you take.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back