I might cry. Finding headphones is too hard.
Oct 15, 2008 at 4:36 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

athompie

New Head-Fier
I can't believe it is so difficult to find the right pair of 'phones. Please help me out.

I bought the head-direct RE2's. I'm a total noob and didn't know about analytical sounding phones. They are pretty good but do not compliment all my genres of music.

They sound too flat and lacking in bass for my alternative, rock, and electronica. Really clear and good for classical, fingerstyle guitar, flamenco, piano intrumental, and acoustic. However, that isn't all I listen to.

I am looking for CLOSED headphones. I have never worn a pair of headphones that were open that were comfortable. Also, I spend a lot of time at the library and stuff so I can't have them leak all over the place.

This is what I'm looking for:
- closed phones, cupped, supra aural, whatever it is called (need to be comfortable like audio technica, senn's, bose)
- Less than $135 (never in my life have i expected to spend this much money on headphones. I see where the slogan comes from)
- Warm or neutral sounding.
- I'm looking for a good OVERALL sound. I want my music to sound full.
- I like bass but everything else shouldn't be sacrificed for it.
- ( Clarity and everything else)/ (bass) ratio should be 65%/35%. I would say the RE2's are 90%/10%
- Honestly, I thought the $150 Bose I tried were fine but I would like to get a good value.
- They must not break too easily. I would be quite careful with them but I'm not the obessive type. Hopefully they can last 3 years.
- Chord length does not matter too much. Zune usage/ Plug into comp.
- I don't care about looks at all. If they are comfortable, sound great, and don't break on me... I would wear it in hot pink with unicorns on it.
- I listen to acoustic, classical, fingerstyle, instrumentals, alternative, rock, a lil bit of electronica. Some examples would be Tommy Emmanuel, Blink 182, Staind, Postal Service, and Dave Matthews Band.

I've been looking at ratings for too long. Hopefully this would be a better way of getting the "one".

Thank you so much. This forum has shown me the light of listening to music and becoming broke.

Oct 15, 2008 at 9:06 AM Post #2 of 14
Supraaural - pad rest on your ear.

Circumaural - pad engulf your ear and rest on your skull, people generally find this more comfortable.

I'm afraid there isn't one phone that meet all your criteria.

The Denon D1000 is closed and probably has the sound that you are looking for. But it is not known to be the most durable headphone.

There are also the Audio Technica ATH-ES7 and AKG K81DJ, but they are supra aural.

Audio Technica ATH-A700 is a full sized closed phone, but I have no idea how it sound like.

Oct 15, 2008 at 9:51 AM Post #5 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ear Damage /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Try some Sennheiser HD280Pros

The HD280's may be on the similar "analytical" and less bassy side with the RE2. I think the OP may be more interested in something like the Beyerdynamic DT770 or if on a budget the Sony MDR-V6 / 7506. You'll get more bass slam that would go well with the other genre's you mentioned, and as a perfect compliment you'll have the RE2 for acoustic/delicate listening.

If going with the V6/7506, look into getting Beyerdynamic DT250 replacement earpads for them. Infinitely more comfortable and longer lasting.

Oct 15, 2008 at 10:28 AM Post #6 of 14
The Sony V6 is a most excellent-sounding, and low-priced, headphone, that is well worth the money.
One of the best deals available.

Oct 15, 2008 at 10:44 AM Post #7 of 14
Reading the OP's 1st post, I can't help but wonder if OP has gotten a few things mixed up.

Just to Clarify, Closed and Open refers to whether the cans have "holes" on them. I.E, Closed does not mean that the headphones closes/covers your ear. Open does not mean that the phones do not close/cover your ears.

Reason why I felt so is because I personally do not feel comfort is in any way attributed to the phones being closed or open. Some may feel that open phones allow air in and thus lead to less of the "warm ear syndrome", which does sound technically right but IME makes no difference to those I own.

Oct 15, 2008 at 10:56 AM Post #8 of 14
Quote:

- I don't care about looks at all. If they are comfortable, sound great, and don't break on me... I would wear it in hot pink with unicorns on it.

Now theres a brave statement
bigsmile_face.gif
. You could be beaten up, beeing in the wrong place on the wrong time wearing something like that
biggrin.gif

Well, on the more serious level, you might have a problem finding the perfekt phone. Very few members on head.fi have managed to do that.
You could end up buying and selling more and more expensive phones, in that quest, like the rest of us
frown.gif
I choose to see it as a journey, that never ends. It´s a hobby and it costs money. So what..most hobbyes do
floatsmile.png

Oct 15, 2008 at 11:01 AM Post #9 of 14
It would seem that Beyers might be what you'd want to look at. Audio-Technica's ES7s should also be a nice choice.

Oct 15, 2008 at 1:39 PM Post #10 of 14
Another recommendation for the Beyerdynamic DT770s. They are comfortable, a bit on the warm side (soundwise), isolate fantastically (not as good as an IEM, though), have minimal sound leakage, and have excellent bass reproduction.

Unfortunately, they usually retail for, like, $200. Perhaps you could find a used pair in your price range, however. (Or, you know, just put it on a credit card--consumer debt is what made America great!)

Oct 15, 2008 at 2:41 PM Post #11 of 14
What version of the DT770 is sold on Amazon, and which version is generally preferred? The one on Amazon is 250 ohm, and I can find the DT770/80 ohm version on eBay. The one on Amazon is slightly cheaper, but I don't know the differences besides different ohm ratings. I'm leaning towards the 80 ohms, but I have a portable amp (Lyrix w/ USB DAC) that I can take advantage of.

Oct 15, 2008 at 2:41 PM Post #12 of 14
M-Audio Q40.
Within your budget.
Neutral slightly warm sounding.
Durable.
Not comfortable (clamps hard) if you have a large head, but you can bend the headband a bit and release the pressure.
Somewhat underrated, but I feel it's one the best bang for your buck headphones.

Oct 15, 2008 at 2:50 PM Post #13 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by athompie /img/forum/go_quote.gif
- closed phones, cupped, supra aural, whatever it is called (need to be comfortable like audio technica, senn's, bose)

Why not get Audio-Technica then? I got a pair of Audio-Technica ATH-A900's for $140, but that was only because my dad happened to be in Japan and could get it directly there. Considering import costs, you'd probably have to drop down to the A700 or A500 to fit within budget, but I don't see why they wouldn't be good for your purposes.

Oct 15, 2008 at 5:38 PM Post #14 of 14
Thanks a bunch guys. It's almost a cathartic experience. I haven't placed an order yet... but i'm looking at the "Audio Technica ATH-A700 Closed-Back Dynamic Headphones With Double Air Damping".

Any thoughts on these? I keep reading things about the tightness with some of the other 'phones. I can't deal with it. However, can the tightness be relieved by stretching them out on like a basketball or something for a while?

I don't think the Audio Technica ATH-A700's would need them but the other options might.

The technica's look bad.... BAD ASS! I guess i'm just a dork.

Anything else which is close to the Audio Technica ATH-A700's?

I guess the reason why my search has been difficult is because I'm asking for too much.

Rank of importance.
1. Comfort
2. Sound
3. Value
4. Durability. (i'll take care of them but they need to last at least 3 years. Don't think that is too long)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back