I Might Be Wrong - money grab. or a band in it's element?
Mar 2, 2003 at 12:58 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

heeeraldo

100+ Head-Fier
I am referring to Radiohead's (now old) live EP, with 7 tracks off Amnesiac and Kid A, and one previously unreleased (and amazing) track.

now, I think it's an amazing picture of a band where they're most comfortable - in front of a crowd.

I've heard other people claim it's a money grab, just not quite as bad as Pearl Jam's.

so, what do my fellow head-fi'ers think?

Mar 2, 2003 at 1:42 AM Post #2 of 6
money grab?

it's an ok live album, i have plenty of RH bootlegs which are sonically superior and the band puts on a stellar performance.

Mar 2, 2003 at 2:03 AM Post #4 of 6
Quote:

Originally posted by heeeraldo
I do too - I've got an entire concert from Portugal.

We should trade sometime; I just need to get off dialup first.

hehe, i'm out of the trading thing for the moment, but come mid May i'll trade again, no need for dialup, i still trade via snail mail
wink.gif

Mar 2, 2003 at 4:04 AM Post #5 of 6
Ok, on my first few listen-throughs I really didnt like the album much. However, its one that grows on you, and is now one of my more-oft played discs.

My reason for purchasing it really comes down to the edition of 'like spinning plates' found on it. It sounds so different from the studio version and it is major improvement. Opens with piano and is absolutely beautiful. It is worth the price of the album by itself, IMO.

One complaint people have about the album is that it sounds like theyre playing mostly the same notes as the studio releases but with more of rock than electronica instrumentation, which is an abrasive feeling for those used to the electronica feel. Once you fall into the live feel, however, you will not dislike it.

Now, it is a live album and in my experience, that means it will sound best when played loud. Not sure why that is but, to my ears anyway, it is.

I have also noticed that the album sounds absolutely grotesque through the speakers in my car, but a lot better through my Senns. Im not talking just clarity, but like the harmonizations / intonation as well.

To summarize: I would recommend the album. You might not like the whole thing immediately, but it will grow on you. And if not, 'like spinning plates' and 'true love waits' are probably worth the price alone.

Mar 2, 2003 at 4:21 AM Post #6 of 6
I think radiohead is one band at this point that is not into the whole money grabbing thing, even though I disagree with everything they say politically I believe they would see putting out an album for cash flow alone as somehow criminal. I mean if you've been a fan for a while you would know that they did an album "kid a" for which they did not release any singles (sans promos) or do any sort of advertising for the tour, they relied on word of mouth for ticket sales. so I would be comfortable in saying it's no money grab, as far as the album itself, I feel it could have been a few tracks longer and a little more diverse but overall as a live album the recording and song selection are good enough for repeat plays in my cdp's......

Users who are viewing this thread

Back