I LOVE my PPAS
Oct 7, 2006 at 1:37 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 37

ozshadow

500+ Head-Fier
Thank you to Dieinfire, ATAT, and Cetoole - and not to mention the originators of the PPA, plus everyone who has helped me on the forum.

I'll write up a full review of the sound later, but first impressions are excellent. Tight, defined bass, wonderful mids, and most surprising, very detailed sparkling highs. No veil from the buf634's whatsoever. Excellent paired with Grados.

Some details:

OPA2107 on L/R
OPA627 on ground
Buf634's on all 3 channels
Class A biased
2x9v rechargeable batteries -270 mah ones.
Trickle charger built inside the amp
2x180uf Nichicon UPW caps, 2x330uf Panasonic FM's
Kobiconn isolated jacks all around
Tiny Hammond 4.7 X 2.1 X 0.91 Black Anodized Case (had to hollow it out some)
Runs on the dual 9v or 24v wall tread unit.

This thing is packed super tight.

I absolutely LOVE it ! I very highly recommend the 2107 opamp in this setup.

Pics:
----------------
amp1.jpg

amp2.jpg

amp3.jpg

amp31.jpg

amp32.jpg

amp33.jpg

amp4.jpg

amp6.jpg

----------------Full review-------------------------
Ok, so finally, here is my full review of my PPAS. Other setups for this amp may differ and other headphones may differ. I have a PPAS, OPA2107 on L/R, OPA627 ground (tried the AD8610 on ground, made it too bright overall, and bass neutral for my tastes) Buf634 on each, 2x330uF Panasonic FMs, 2x180uF UPWs, Class A biased, low bandwidth mode (could not notice a difference in high)

If you want one, you have to do it yourself, or find a builder with boards.

All is based on Grado cans.

To me, I cannot imagine a completely portable amp sounding any better. I knew the OPA2107 was a good fit for me already, but I honestly did not imagine the step up this amp gives. For example, if you think of a Cmoy as about a 20% improvement over no amp, and an A47 as a 20% improvement over that, the PPAS would be like another 100% jump in improvement.

This thing has detail like you would not believe is coming out of a little portable case. It makes an A47 sound like you are listening to your headphones under the pillow instead of on your head. It makes songs sound completely different, with lots of new parts, and presented completely different. Believe it or not, this amp gives Grados a soundstage ! A very decent one as well. As for instrument separation and stereo channel separation, it is extremely well detailed. No blurred sound here. You can pick out what you want easily, and on most tracks, place where it is easily if it is not directly forward.

With this particular setup, music sounds rich and very detailed. Bass is detailed and impactful, but not boomy. It is very tight and punchy.

I would not describe this setup as thin at all. I would say slightly warm sided. It’s not tube amp warm but not thin sounding. Solid bass, rich detailed mids, and sparkling highs that are not overly bright would about sum it up.

This is a very portable, pocket type amp. Battery life runs about 15 hours on duel 270 mah 9 volts. http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showp...postcount=1507

I am completely satified with this as my portable amp. I will not be building or buying another for use with Grados portably.

A few songs I listened to:

Santana and Nickelback – “Why Don’t You and I”
Verses have an incredible amount of very rich detail. Very wide soundstage and lots of instrument separation. Sounds seem to come from all different directions. Again, LOTS of detail here. Vocals are clear and neutral. Not forward but not recessed. Chorus has a wall of guitars, but also lots of other detailed instruments behind it that are easy to pick out.

Norah Jones – “Come away with me” and “Those sweet words”
These are just beautiful songs. Nice soundstage and detail, but her voice in unbelievably rich. I did not like her at all until I started listening through nice cans. Imagine sitting in a small room with just her and the acoustic band all around you. You lay back, relax, she sits in front of you and sings. These are two of the most relaxing songs I have ever heard and absolutely love the detail and way they are presented.

Lifehouse – “Simon”
This is a showcase song. Wide soundstage with lots of instrument separation and incredibly detailed. Vocals are rich and clear. Bass is tight and impactful. This song just really shows lots of detail/soundstage and separation. I love it.

Lifehouse - “You and me”

Nice guitar detail. They stand out all through the song. Voice sounds very clear and accurately presented. Slightly forward sound, but as I think it should be. I am listening on Grados by the way. Bass is nice and solid. Not boomy, but plenty of impact for this song.

Nickelback “Someday”

This song sounds absolutely incredible on this setup. Bright detailed vocals, forward presentation – can be heard clearly all through the song. Strings clear and detailed as well. Just slightly behind the vocals as they should be.

The bass is VERY nice on this song. Solid and detailed, punchy with impact, many times I can feel the vibrations in my chest. Not boomy. The drums show off the soundstage. It feels like you are playing the drums and you can feel each drum being hit in a circle around you.

Black Eyed Peas – “Hey Momma”

Vocals are clear. Not as forward as the other songs overall, but there are some forward parts. There’s lots of detail in this song. The claps sound real, like people are on each side of you clapping. The techno beat is clear, loud and tightly presented.

Hoobastank – “The Reason”
Nice solid bass, once again. Cymbals/highhat are very clear and sparkling. They sound real. Vocals stay clear and detailed even in a wall of guitars. Nothing special about the song, it just sounds damn good.

Snoop Dogg – “Drop it like its Hot”
Crazy sound stage on this one. Things like tongue “clucks” and “tsssssssssss” come from all over, constantly moving. Really cool presentation. Bass is solid, not boomy. You can feel it, but its not a 12” subwoofer. Vocals are very bright and detailed. Again high hats/cymbals sounds nice and sparkling. Snare drum and techno sounds are very forward, clear and detailed.

Nelly Furtado – “Promiscuous Girl”
Comes off with a very airy sound. Very spatial. Bass is not particularly impactful but its there. Vocals are clear and detailed and presented like you are standing with her in front of you and the guy to the left.

Montgomery Gentry – “She Don’t Tell Me To”
Very clear and detailed strings. Nice soundstage and instrument separation. You can pick each instrument out very clearly during the verses and tell the placement. Vocals are extremely clear, slightly forward. This song shows off clear vocals and detailed strings primarily.

Sugarland – “Just might make me believe”
Incredible strings, very detailed and rich sounding. Solid bass and realistic rimshots. The singers voice is beautiful. Sounds like she is sitting in the same room with you and singing right to you. It’s like you can feel her voice. It’s not overly colored, it just sounds very real.

Lifehouse –“Breathing”
Nice instrument separation and presentation of each around you. Vocals are clear. Pretty neutral. Not as rich as I would like them to be, but that may just be this 128 mp3. Bass is there but nothing incredible, just part of the sound. The most noticeable thing from this track is the soundstage and instrument separation, and the banjo is brightly detailed. It just sounds nice.

Alan Jackson – “Remember When”
Clear and rich vocals. Beautifully detailed guitar – very clear. All strings sound good. The louder orchestra stings feel like that wrap around you and take you away. Silent parts are completely silent. This is a very very rich song. The steel guitar soungs amazing and just beautiful. This song sounds perfect. I could not imagine it sounding any better unless it was in person and I could feel the music throughout my body. A nice song to end this too.

Oct 7, 2006 at 2:07 AM Post #3 of 37
I have not totaled mine up yet, but I do have about $50 just in opamps and buffers.

I would guess a basic one would run you about $75 complete.

Strange note from listening to it: I had to lower my lowest and highest EQ settings from my old setup. Norah Jones - Those Sweet Words sounds pretty incredible. It is more revealing out of an mp3 player, but that track just gave me the warm fuzzies.

Oct 7, 2006 at 2:57 AM Post #4 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by ozshadow
I have not totaled mine up yet, but I do have about $50 just in opamps and buffers.

I would guess a basic one would run you about $75 complete.

Strange note from listening to it: I had to lower my lowest and highest EQ settings from my old setup. Norah Jones - Those Sweet Words sounds pretty incredible. It is more revealing out of an mp3 player, but that track just gave me the warm fuzzies.

Congrats! They are a nice sounding little amp, aren't they? Next you must try it with an Alien DAC
wink.gif

I'm about to make one with 8610 and Buf634.... now I'm wishing I had bought more boards so I could try the 2107/627 combo, too. Have you heard one with the 8610? If so, how would you say this compares?

$75 sounds about right.

Oct 7, 2006 at 5:42 AM Post #5 of 37
I've tried a few combinations.. The 8620 / 8610 combo imho is a bit too bright, so i'm going around testing alot of opamps..

Ozshadow - I'd like to see how you laid out the inside of the amp.. that looks very nice..

intlplby - No plans for 1.1 but I do have a fair bit of surplus 1.0s that I'm playing around with right now.. I dont plan on revising them right now, but I'm tweaking the default BoM so that it can use 6172s without issue =)

Oct 7, 2006 at 7:30 AM Post #7 of 37
intlplby - no flaws, the build thread outlines all the precautions one should take when using non-conventional setups.

I'm selling the boards for $6 + shipping.

Oct 7, 2006 at 12:52 PM Post #9 of 37
I have an 8620/8610 setup here to build but I don't know if I want to. The 2107/627 leans to the bright side with Grados, but extremely well rounded. The one lingering impression I have is - wow, it sounds great, but it is very revealing with lower quality mp3's. Has nice separation and so far, decent soundstage (I do have Grados afterall). Easy to pick out every little detail in the music.

Currently listening to Santana "Why Don't You and I" - the verses have music coming out of everywhere. Like the band is forming a circle around me. For the first time with music and not binaural, things can be heard distinctly behind me on a number of tracks.

K, I opened it up again just for ATAT. I did have to use a micro grinder to take down the side rails in this case, mainly the large middle rail buldge, leave just enough of it at the ends for the screws. Length-wise, theres just enough room for 2 9v's snuggly against the wires coming out back of the Kobiconns - with the ground pin slightly bent down.

amp31.jpg

amp32.jpg

amp33.jpg

Oct 7, 2006 at 2:00 PM Post #10 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by ATAT
I've tried a few combinations.. The 8620 / 8610 combo imho is a bit too bright, so i'm going around testing alot of opamps..

I've also had that impression of mine. The detail is amazing and there is a nice punch to the bass but it seems like it overemphasizes some of the highs. I was hoping it was more the LMH6321 than the AD8620/10 and switching to BUF634 would tame it a bit, but maybe I'll wait to see what your impressions are when you finish this testing.

Oct 7, 2006 at 2:06 PM Post #11 of 37
Forgive the small parenthesis...

pddjsteve,

How's the LMH6321 overall? Would you recommend using it?

And, did the "CL" and "GND" pins require connecting something to them, or did you leave them open at all?

Thanks
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 7, 2006 at 2:50 PM Post #12 of 37
pddj - I like the AD8066/OPA132 combo (yes i know this is a weird combination) so far.. The LMH as far as I remember is a bit brighter and punchier than the BUFs, so that should help tame the highs..
hopefully, my search will be over once I build the LM6172/1 PPAS

Andrea - both CL and GND are needed only for current control, if that's not needed, then leave both of them open.

Oct 7, 2006 at 3:11 PM Post #13 of 37
ATAT, thanks - exactly like I expected from reading the datasheet.

Oct 7, 2006 at 3:43 PM Post #14 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrea
Forgive the small parenthesis...

pddjsteve,

How's the LMH6321 overall? Would you recommend using it?

And, did the "CL" and "GND" pins require connecting something to them, or did you leave them open at all?

Thanks
smily_headphones1.gif

The only thing I've ever used it in was the PPAS, since it has almost the same pinout as the Buf634, and it does a good job there. I'd say it is maybe a little harsh on the highs, but that could be the AD8620 coloring it rather than the buffer.

We had to lift the "CL" pin off the board to use it in the PPAS circuit, and comparing the datasheet to the Buf634 the "GND" pin on the LMH is a "NC" on the BUF. So neither of those were connected.

I probably can't give too good of an impression because right now, I don't have any other PPAS to compare it to. I've actually been meaning to make a "test" amp to play with some extra ones, I've got a couple LMH6321 and a couple HA5002 to play with. I also wanted to check out a few of the chips you and filbert have been talking about.

Oct 7, 2006 at 3:45 PM Post #15 of 37
trickle charger thats inside the heat shrink - swapped the resistor for a 47ohm one for the 270 mah batteries I plan to put in this. Used a part of the typical Cmoy board and it fit well.

chg.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back