i love my grado 60's but..
Aug 4, 2009 at 12:54 AM Post #4 of 21
Go for the bowls, you'll find them more comfortable, I think. I can wear my SR225i with bowls for quite a while with no pain at all.

Aug 4, 2009 at 12:54 AM Post #5 of 21
try bending the head band out to there's a big less pressure on the ears.

Aug 4, 2009 at 12:57 AM Post #6 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by nhancakes /img/forum/go_quote.gif
try bending the head band out to there's a big less pressure on the ears.

would you recommend using the basketball thing for this?

and if the bowls are more comfortable i'll probably do that

you recommend the yellow senn ones or the grado bowls?

Aug 4, 2009 at 2:19 AM Post #9 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by martinz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
or go for bagel jumbo gs1000 pads.. it won't hurt your ears

Definitely don't this, using bowls without distancers will ruin the sound, even with distancers it probably isn't a good idea.

By the way, if you just got them, then stretch them by hand or around a couple of thick books (dictionary etc) and they'll let up, I had the same problem at first.

Aug 4, 2009 at 2:37 AM Post #10 of 21
The question is whether your ears are hurting because of the pads or because you find the Grado sound fatiguing (or, for that matter, maybe both).

I find it unlikely that you'll find bowls terribly comfortable if you don't like the comfies, but the Senn pads are supposed to be comfortable & they're certainly cheap ($5ish from Senn?). I've never found headband bending necessary, but it's pretty thoroughly documented.

My problem was always the fatiguing Grado treble...I couldn't listen to my 225s for more than half an hour without getting a terrible headache, and I'm sure it couldn't be any better in the 60s than the 225s. Damping them with blu-tack completely turned that around...YMMV, but it's certainly worth a try.

Aug 4, 2009 at 3:14 AM Post #11 of 21
I like bowls, but they're a bit pricey. 20 dollars for some pads? Try getting some senn pads, and i just used my hands to bend my headband out.

Aug 4, 2009 at 3:52 AM Post #13 of 21
Senn pads suck. Don't every buy them. They absorb so much sound that music doesn't sound right anymore. You'll end up paying more by trying to save money.

Grado's are generally very uncomfortable. First, try bending the headband out. Bowls can help, because there's less padding pushing against your ears, and they improve the sound. B&H has the bowls for $15 with free shipping.

Aug 4, 2009 at 4:12 AM Post #14 of 21
Bending the headband should relieve the pressure that the flats have on your ears that is causing the discomfort. It worked for me and I was able to wear mine so much longer with no problem. It's a simple fix and it's free.

Aug 4, 2009 at 5:19 PM Post #15 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sakhai /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Senn pads suck. Don't every buy them. They absorb so much sound that music doesn't sound right anymore. You'll end up paying more by trying to save money.

Bowls can help, because there's less padding pushing against your ears, and they improve the sound. B&H has the bowls for $15 with free shipping.

I disagree with all of this.(save the Grado=uncomfortable part which I removed from quote.) I think the bowls are the most uncomfortable, and I noticed a sound improvement in my SR80s, with the 414 pads(Quarter Mod).

Ebay has the 414 pads for half the cost shipped as the bowls listed above.

Also: +1 on headband bend. I put my thumbs in the middle of the band, and gently pulled, evenly, on either side..this seemed to work well in my case.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back