I love MDR-EX500 , recommendations please ? (kinda long history)
Aug 13, 2012 at 7:35 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

nsed

New Head-Fier
I'm a real beginner when it comes to headphones.
My first IN EAR was an MDR-82 (or EX 56, cant remember well) that came bundled with a sony mp3 player.
I thought it was really good and loved it , until it stop working(really thin cords), after that I bought a crappy phillips in ear thinking it was going to be as good just because it was in ear, in the end I gave it away.
Then I bought a MDR-EX500 , I really fell in love with it then , the sound was really "open" and "clean" compared to anything I've ever listened to, problem is that it stop working for the same reason my first MDR did.
After that I bought another MDR-82 but it wasnt the same as the MDR-EX500......

4 years later.(now)

I bought a VSonic GR02 and a MDR-EX300 came bundled with my NWZ-A865.
MDR-EX300 sounds better to me than the Vsonic , but not by really much.
I got a problem with my GR02 and the pressure it causes in my ears , I try to blow a some air inside them from the audio exit and the air simply doesnt have a way to get out. the same happens in my ears.
well anyway.

What is this "Open Sound" thing that the MDR-EX500 have ? is it called the "Sound Stage" ?
the mdr-ex300 is by no means a bad headphone in my opinion , but i REALLY LOVED the ex500 open and clean sound, too bad I got no money to buy them again and they break too easily imo.

What characteristic should I look for too in my next headphones ?

Thanks a lot for reading

Aug 13, 2012 at 7:52 PM Post #2 of 3
One of my all time favorite headphones are the MDR-EX500, I use them when I go jogging, gym, and casually. They are pretty bright so that means you and I enjoy bright sound headphones with good separation. HD800 is my goto full-sized headphone coming from the MDR-EX500, but I also have the MDR-EX1000, which is clearer and more dynamic than the MDR-EX500. Don't go for dark sounding headphones, such as the HD650-600, or the LCD-2. This recommendation may be expensive for you, and I think that headphones in the range 100-300 won't satisfy you as much as the MDR-EX500 are doing. You may also consider Denons D2000/D5000.

Aug 13, 2012 at 9:11 PM Post #3 of 3
Do you have any idea if the MDR-EX510 is like the EX500 ?
Its cheaper and it doesnt look as fragile as the EX500.

I dont really like cans cause I not home 90% of the time , so I cant fully enjoy them and I dont really have that much money to spend on expensive headphones but wow , I was reading about the HD800 and it looks awesome , thanks a lot for your comment !

Users who are viewing this thread

Back