I love hip-hop and I love hearing my 2 Alpines bump in my SUV
Aug 30, 2009 at 1:48 AM Post #16 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by ThePope3290 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah, the D2000's are pretty much out of the question. I don't know if I can find them for under $200, and plus I hear they are only at their best with an amp.

You don't actually need an amp for the D2000, you really will not notice the difference on a 256kbps rap song either. I've used my D2000 with my portable before, it sounds fine.

One more thing, today might be your lucky day, I'm selling my D2000 for $220 OBO here: http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f10/fs...-d2000-441954/

My apologies if linking to a sale isn't permitted, but it is relevant and may be helpful to the guy.

Aug 30, 2009 at 4:21 AM Post #18 of 39
Ya if you can swing it, definitely get the Denon 2000. Otherwise, something more in your price range would be the AKG K 81 DJ or 818 DJ. They have mad bass and I know EXACTLY what sound you are looking for fellow basshead.
biggrin.gif
Another option I can think of would be the Audio-Technica M50. Or maybe the new Shure 840.

Ultrasone does have some pretty sweet bass, but finding one under $200 is tough. Hopefully one of these will work for you man.
beerchug.gif

Aug 30, 2009 at 4:41 AM Post #20 of 39
Have you considered saving a little more and maybe getting beats by dr. dre. Their bass might be more up your alley since they are geared for rap

Aug 30, 2009 at 6:15 AM Post #24 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by MD1032 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Beyer DT770's?

With the Fiio E3 for a bass boost and a rumbler from a video game controller strapped to each cup for the head-shaking!
tongue.gif

@ OP: More seriously though, how much bass are you looking for? Have you ever used any other headphones (the buds that come with an IPod, Skull Candies, or anything else) that you could compare to what you are looking for to give us an idea of just how much bass you are looking for? All the cars sporting "awesome subs" that I have experienced are earth-shakingly bassy, and if that is what you are looking for, I doubt you'll find it here except through the greatly disliked/insulted (as far as sound quality goes) Skull Candy brand. If on the other hand you are looking for something between an IBud and land-of-bass subwoofers the options that are being suggested (DT770, SRH840, K81DJ, etc.) could very well be exactly what you want. All I'm trying to suggest is that some standard to help us know just what you are looking for would be appreciated.
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 30, 2009 at 6:22 AM Post #25 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by Happy Camper /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Your SUV uses amps to get that bass, why not your headphones?

That's because basically every car subwoofer requires an amp to properly drive them. A lot of good sounding headphones, thankfully, do not. It's an extra expense most people would rather not have to deal with.

To the OP, could you always spend a little bit of money and get something like the JVC HA-RX700s or 900s (900s have more bass). I've modded both of them in one way or another (guides are available), and they both sound great (the 900s have a little bit more bass).

And yes, I have a 12" elemental designs subwoofer in my Civic along with some Diamond Audio Hex components (with different tweeters and crossovers). I absolutely love the bass, and it IS balanced. Sadly, it's much harder to get that with headphones. I, however, am pretty satisfied with those JVCs. Don't let the cheap price fool you...they sound great.
wink.gif

Aug 30, 2009 at 2:15 PM Post #27 of 39
What about Equation Audio RP-22X? I thought that they were balanced regarding mids and treble, with aggressive bass that was still pretty tight. I sold them because I just didn't need that much bass. Equation's specs list +5Hz to +10Hz in the 5Hz to 200Hz region. I'm inclined to believe it.

You should be able to find them under $100 new.

Aug 30, 2009 at 3:02 PM Post #28 of 39
There are no such headphones.

The best you can probably do is a pair of Denon D7000s with a beefy tube amp, and use an equalizer to max out the bass frequencies. Then crank the volume to well over 95DBs. Will sound like s**t, but will come as close to yielding the results you are after as a pair of headphones can get. This will more than likely tickle your ears quite a bit with Bass SPLs.

A few other ideas:

Split the audio signal 3 times. Run a pair of outputs to a headphone amp (powering the D7000s, or other Bass beefy phone of your choice). Run the second set of outputs (through a crossover to filter out mids and treble) to a giant traditional self amplified floor standing sub-woofer right next to your listening chair. Run the third set of outputs (through an amp and a crossover to filter out mids and treble) to a pair of bass-shakers bolted directly to the bottom of your listening chair.

Although a bit extreme, this will certainly yield the results you are after - but at this point, you might as well just listen to loudspeakers/subwoofer with the volume pegged on max, or go to a club, or just drive around town in your bass-mobile.

On a more serious note, no other headphones that I have owned or heard can do bass and percussion in a palpable way (in quantity, quality and frequency range) quite like the Denon phones can (D2000s, D5000s and D7000s).

Aug 30, 2009 at 7:54 PM Post #29 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by ThePope3290 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So, what set of cans would most closely replicate the bass output of a pair of subs for $200 or less?

Sony XB700 for FAT bass
Sony XB500 for more refined bass

Skip the Denon D2000s, they don't have a deep bass like the Sonys or even Ultrasones for that matter, they also need an expensive amp to sound somewhat decent.

Aug 30, 2009 at 7:59 PM Post #30 of 39
The Sennheiser Surrounder. LOL. Should be a worthy contestant.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back