I Love ER4S will I Love UM3x?
Nov 26, 2009 at 2:29 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

ibis99

100+ Head-Fier
I love my ER4s but I just ordered a pair of UM3x. Will I be satisfied?

Nov 26, 2009 at 5:07 AM Post #3 of 23
As someone who has had both (I had the ER4P with the adapter to make it an ER4S), I can honestly say that you will love the UM3X unless you feel overwhelmed by the bass, which is not as forward as the Westone 3s but is still fuller than the ER4S.

Nov 26, 2009 at 5:30 AM Post #4 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bilavideo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
As someone who has had both (I had the ER4P with the adapter to make it an ER4S), I can honestly say that you will love the UM3X unless you feel overwhelmed by the bass, which is not as forward as the Westone 3s but is still fuller than the ER4S.

Bass is overwhelmed? Never strike me by that, always hope it has more bass impact though .
ksc75smile.gif

Nov 26, 2009 at 5:31 AM Post #5 of 23
Unless you are a serious treble head, you will love the UM3Xs coming from the ER4Ss. The UM3Xs don't have as much high end as the ER4Ss, but compensate by having a richer, more extended bass. I find the UM3Xs to be more natural sounding than the ER4Ss. The comfort level is also improved, and the cable microphonics are much reduced. The UM3Xs are much easier to drive, as well, so the volume level on portable devices can be set at a much lower level.

You'll find a few threads on this site which offer a much more detailed comparison of the two.

Nov 26, 2009 at 6:22 AM Post #6 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by gameboy115 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Bass is overwhelmed? Never strike me by that, always hope it has more bass impact though .
ksc75smile.gif

I love the UM3X, which I definitely prefer over the ER4P/S. I'm just saying that Ety lovers tend to be quite enthusiastic about their treble and that some may have issues with the Westone signature, which is substantially warmer. For my money, the UM3X is a much better match than the Westone 3. It has a much more neutral signature, even with that Westone warmth.

Nov 26, 2009 at 6:26 AM Post #7 of 23
I went to a UM3X from an ER4S and I DO NOT love the UM3X. I sold the UM3X and kept the ER4. The UM3X has too much in the midbass for my tastes. It just didn't seem right to me. But of course, everyone likes something different.

Nov 26, 2009 at 6:41 AM Post #8 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by M3NTAL /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I went to a UM3X from an ER4S and I DO NOT love the UM3X. I sold the UM3X and kept the ER4. The UM3X has too much in the midbass for my tastes. It just didn't seem right to me. But of course, everyone likes something different.

Thank you. That's what I'm talking about. If I were to fault the UM3X, it's the use of a white filter to cover both drivers rather than the use of a dedicated filter (such as a red filter) exclusively over the CI driver. If Westone made that single change, it could keep great punch in the woofer while letting the TWFK keep maximum sizzle. I took out the white filter on my UM3X and it sounded livelier.

Nov 26, 2009 at 6:41 PM Post #9 of 23
Interesting. Thanks folks. I'll add to this once I receive
my UM3x.

Gobble. Gobble!

Nov 26, 2009 at 10:13 PM Post #10 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by IpodHappy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Unless you are a serious treble head, you will love the UM3Xs coming from the ER4Ss. The UM3Xs don't have as much high end as the ER4Ss, but compensate by having a richer, more extended bass. I find the UM3Xs to be more natural sounding than the ER4Ss. The comfort level is also improved, and the cable microphonics are much reduced. The UM3Xs are much easier to drive, as well, so the volume level on portable devices can be set at a much lower level.

You'll find a few threads on this site which offer a much more detailed comparison of the two.

Well said....I owned both at the same time and MUCH prefer the UM3X. You MUST take a few days to get use to the UM3X. Upon first listen coming from ER4 you will wonder where the treble is but it is definitely there. It is a very detailed IEM top to bottom.

Nov 26, 2009 at 10:34 PM Post #11 of 23
I prefer the ER-4P. The UM3X is a little fat-sounding by comparison, and too warm. I did not really care for the UM3X, and I am crazy about the ER-4P. The UM3X does offer a much better cable and superior comfort, but I feel the sound is a step down.

Nov 26, 2009 at 11:24 PM Post #12 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by 3X0 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I prefer the ER-4P. The UM3X is a little fat-sounding by comparison, and too warm. I did not really care for the UM3X, and I am crazy about the ER-4P. The UM3X does offer a much better cable and superior comfort, but I feel the sound is a step down.

Short of reselling the UM3X, you could remove the white filter and see what that does for you. The removal process is irreversible, in the sense that to remove the filter is to puncture it, so I wouldn't do it unless I were willing to plunk down $14 for filter replacements (a box of 10) (Or you can contact me and I'll send you a couple for free). If you're looking for less veiling of the HF, removing the filter could be an effective answer.

Nov 27, 2009 at 12:21 AM Post #13 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bilavideo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Short of reselling the UM3X, you could remove the white filter and see what that does for you. The removal process is irreversible, in the sense that to remove the filter is to puncture it, so I wouldn't do it unless I were willing to plunk down $14 for filter replacements (a box of 10) (Or you can contact me and I'll send you a couple for free). If you're looking for less veiling of the HF, removing the filter could be an effective answer.

Where is the white filter positioned on the UM3x?

Nov 27, 2009 at 2:27 AM Post #14 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by ibis99 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Where is the white filter positioned on the UM3x?

x2

using UM56 custom tips also helps with the treble, but I might try this filter trick also

Nov 27, 2009 at 2:48 AM Post #15 of 23
i have them both and it is a completely different listening experience...both outstanding but different...etymotic more analytic,westone more dynamic and bigger sound...if i had to choose...tough choice,etymotic by a hair!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back