I look for balanced IC (XLR)
Apr 29, 2008 at 1:28 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

pompon

500+ Head-Fier
I just buyed a balanced amp (apache).

I will need XLR interconnect for my cd player (ARC CD3MK2) -> apache

Someone have experience with XLR cables (entry level / diy / expansive commercial )?

What I know, for single end, quality matter but for balaced is-it as big ?

I just don't want to drop large amount of money if it's not required at all.

Any suggestions ?

Apr 29, 2008 at 10:50 AM Post #4 of 13
Congratulations, you've taken cable variation virtually out of the equation by going XLR-XLR.

Don't spend too much, maybe something like BlueJeans if it makes you feel better.

Apr 30, 2008 at 3:37 AM Post #8 of 13
I have had a Apache and it is indeed a amp with a warm, forward sound. If you are willing and able to DIY interconnects, then that is the most effective way to proceed.

Canare L-4E6S with Neutrik XLRs will get you started for little money, construction is simple and will sound fine.

Apr 30, 2008 at 4:25 AM Post #9 of 13
Pompon,

You bought the amp that I lovingly owned for a while
smily_headphones1.gif

Congrats! Great sound thing that Apache.

For cables, I had GREAT luck with

1) Furutech Audio Reference III - Great sound top to bottom. No frequency range is highlighted in particular and the sound is top notch end to end. I really enjoyed this cable with the Apache as it does not add anything in pushing the signal forward.

2) Harmonix Golden Performance cables - These are a little expensive, but they do everything the Furutechs do, just even more naturally so. The Apache being a solid state amp (even though a warm amp) can do wonders with well done copper cables. Naturalness is surreal with these cables.

3) Jena Labs Fugue: Another well done copper cable. Go ahead and read the reviews on this cable. Jena labs knows how to do copper (even though they might mess up headphone recables
wink.gif
).

Try these copper cables if you can and I don't think you will EVER need to reach for any silver stuff.

Do post what you end up going with.

~G

Apr 30, 2008 at 4:41 AM Post #10 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by shaizada /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Pompon,

You bought the amp that I lovingly owned for a while
smily_headphones1.gif

~G

Ty for your recommandations, I will do somes search tomorrow.

For the amp, Aye .. will see if good enough to beat my existing amp.

Will permit me to try the balanced route ... when I will be fixed on cabled! :xf_cool:

Apr 30, 2008 at 1:46 PM Post #12 of 13
i have used 3 XLR cables with my Apache. in order of good to best, i would rank them this way:

signal cable silver resolution
audioquest jaguar
nordost heimdall

pretty happy with the heimdall. no real desire to try something else for the time being.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back