I listen to music like Porcupine Tree and the Mars Volta
Aug 8, 2008 at 8:53 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

Shexbex

New Head-Fier
as well as Post-Rock, Radiohead, heavy metal, and occasionally trance/shallow hiphop. If my budget is 200 dollars, what are the best headphones I can get?

If headphones that are good for rock and headphones that are good for "boom boom" techno/hiphop music are mutually exclusive, then forget about the trance/hiphop thing.

See the odd thing is that most of the time I'm listening to things like, Rosetta, the afformentioned bands, Agalloch, etc. but then sometimes I get the urges to listen to like.. lil wayne. I have some cheap 2.1 speakers that sound good enough for my shallow needs (bass being "boom boom" enough) but I thought it would be convenient if i have all of that in a headphone. I was thinking of the S595s but I've been told they're more adequate for softer music like Jazz and Classical and Folk (which I have little intrest in)

Aug 8, 2008 at 9:07 PM Post #2 of 14
Before we can help, we need to know your feelings on Frances the Mute

Aug 8, 2008 at 9:23 PM Post #3 of 14
You probably read the various threads, and might even have seen mention of the Denon D1000. Great set of cans for the type of music you listen to.
BUT, here is the shock... Denon has one that is even better and at almost the same price. Yep, they do, and I have been using it for a while now for anything with extra bass content. Mind you, the tops are not bad either. My K701 tops are not much better than on these Denons.

You are probably wondering which cans they are in the Denon range. Well I shall keep you in suspense no longer. Thse magic bullets are the Denon DNHP1000. Built to withstand abuse that other cans would not survive and with a 3500mW (that is 3.5Watts) output, I can get those babies to dance over my ears when I dare to use the bass tone control on my amp.

But fear not: you won't need to add bass. These cans have more deep, accurate, and defined bass than anything else I have ever heard. But then again, the drive units are an amazing 55 millimeters wide. I don't know any other headphones that have such a large set of drivers. Bass needs large drivers and the DNHP1000 delivers.

My only other advise would be that you don't try to use these cans at max level on a powerful headamp or power amp. They can go LOUD when push comes to shove. But they stay accurate and without cone break up. I got a set of HD650 and K701 for more mundane listening, but when I fire up my bass tracks, that Denon gets to show its stuff.

Aug 8, 2008 at 9:43 PM Post #4 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by ericj /img/forum/go_quote.gif

lol.

I think closed cans might be in order.

Aug 8, 2008 at 10:42 PM Post #5 of 14
I was halfway serious, actually.

I mean, if you love FtM, you're gonna need good rock cans that can give you that electric guitar treble without sibilance.

Not to mention all those cymbal crashes.

They should also have the bass and mids you need for your other tastes. And be very fast.

Aug 9, 2008 at 1:15 AM Post #6 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by ericj /img/forum/go_quote.gif

It isn't half bad as the albums following it
biggrin.gif

My point; The Mars Volta have lost their way...

Aug 9, 2008 at 1:47 AM Post #7 of 14
I loved FtM, thought Amputecture was a good but slightly worse than their previous recordings, and don't get me started on Goliath.

Anyway, thank you for the quick replies guys, but I'm kinda stuck right now. The Denon you mentioned looks like a great deal. I've also found the D2000 within my price range (found it for 250). Is that better than the DNHP1000? You say the bass is magnificent, but would it be too overpowering for listening to something mellow like.. Maudlin of the well? (Not sure you listen to them).

And now a friend of mine offered to sell me his Grado 225s for 160$. I'm guessing these would be adequate for rock, but wouldn't have enough bass for my other types of music. How would they compare to the the denon's for listening to something like PT?

A fellow in my other accidental twin topic recommended the ultrasone 780 and these seem good too based on reviews. Decisions decisions. These will be my first ever cans (upgrading from a generic klipsch 2.1 speaker system) so I'm sure I'll be blown away by anything, but I also want to get the best deal possible. So can you guys help me with the pros and cons for each in my situation? I'm sorry i'm so terribly annoying.

Aug 10, 2008 at 12:17 AM Post #8 of 14
Anyone? Sorry I'm purchasing this soon.

So now it's between the following:
Ultrasone 780s
The better of Denon D2000 and DNHP1000
Grado 225s

The bass of the Denons looks very impressive, but I'm wondering, will it be much worse when it comes to like TMV and PT compared to the Ultrasone?

Aug 10, 2008 at 12:48 AM Post #9 of 14
Cassandra Gemini... 32 minutes of pure eargasm
smily_headphones1.gif

I can't comment on any of your choices, but I have heard Grado's and the only thing they lack is the soundstage for some trippy expansion.

I haven't read anything but glowing reviews here on Denon's offerings, but time will be the judge of whether or not it is FotM. Everything I read about Ultrasone says the treble is presented in an odd manner.

Aug 10, 2008 at 1:33 AM Post #10 of 14
The grado sorta looks like a killer deal but I'm afriad they wont be adequate for like, the mellower songs I listen to (like PT- collapse the light into earth). Can anyone comment on that?

You just scared me with the "odd treble" thing.

Oh I'd like to add that I'm going to be playing these straight off my computer's sound card (which is an Xfi). I wont have money to buy an amp and I don't really use my mp3 player.

Aug 10, 2008 at 1:38 AM Post #11 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Shexbex /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I listen to music like Porcupine Tree as well as Post-Rock, Radiohead, heavy metal, and occasionally trance/shallow hiphop.

My friend, you have excellent taste in music. Porcupine Tree is close to my favorite band (along with Zeppelin, Tool, NiN, Soundgarden, etc.) I also listen to some trance (mostly Psy-trance: Spongle, Infected Mushroom)

I'm actually going to purchase the Denons (d1001K) soon, when i get my paycheck. Be aware that the 1001k's are only about $80 shipped on amazon, which i much, much less that other options especially the DJ denons ($150)

Also, to the other people: should i get the silver or black ones?

Aug 10, 2008 at 1:40 AM Post #12 of 14
I enjoyed the Grado I owned intensely (the entry level SR-60), it was a performer high above it's cost that I enjoyed with everything except classical/opera. The Grado will be completely open, you can hear someone just as clearly through them (when not blasting tunes) as you can with no headphones on.

I checked out PT and I think the Grado would do it justice. I enjoy Sigur Ros and the Grado sound still works well for mellow/acoustic tunes. Like I said earlier, your biggest sacrifice is soundstage, but I wouldn't say it is a crippling blow. They are fast and clear with well defined and tight bass.

Please do some reading about the other headphones (Ultrasone and Denon), the reasons I have stated have kept me from ever opening wallet for them.

Aug 10, 2008 at 4:06 AM Post #13 of 14
to Gravity Eyelids (great song), I happen to listen to Infected Mushroom and the like too, hence I was kinda worried about the loss of soundscape of the Grados. HOWEVER

I feel like I'm almost sold on these if you say they're good for mellow music.

Aug 12, 2008 at 8:03 AM Post #14 of 14
I own both SR-60 and ATH-A900, and PT is my choise of music too. Id say the A900 are simply stunning for rock, mainly due to the total lack of "sameness" and amazing speed they have. SR-60 are good, but i prefer closed cans in my enviorment (wife and teenagers).
Good hunting

Users who are viewing this thread

Back