I like the loudness button - is that so wrong?
Jan 6, 2007 at 10:36 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

SoundGoon

500+ Head-Fier
Sometimes I think that the certain music sounds more realistic with the "Loudness" button in the on position. Is this wrong?
tongue.gif
blink.gif

Jan 6, 2007 at 11:13 PM Post #2 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by SoundGoon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sometimes I think that the certain music sounds more realistic with the "Loudness" button in the on position. Is this wrong?
tongue.gif
blink.gif

I don't think what you're doing is wrong
smily_headphones1.gif

If you like how it sounds then that's all that matters!

Jan 6, 2007 at 11:26 PM Post #3 of 22
The purpose of the loudness button is to boost the bass a bit to compensate for when you are listening at a lower volume level. If you find you are using it a lot at normal listening volumes, you might want to use your tone controls or equalizer to boost the bass.

See ya
Steve

Jan 7, 2007 at 12:18 AM Post #5 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by bigshot /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The purpose of the loudness button is to boost the bass a bit to compensate for when you are listening at a lower volume level. If you find you are using it a lot at normal listening volumes, you might want to use your tone controls or equalizer to boost the bass.

See ya
Steve

step away from the eq slowly please and disengage the loudness button unless you are kistening at lower tahtn normal levels

the loudness button is there to compensate for percieived dips in the low and high frequecy range at low listening levels, I am a few beer in tonight but I beleive the phenominom is called the fletcher/munson curve

Jan 7, 2007 at 12:51 AM Post #6 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by jp11801 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
step away from the eq slowly please and disengage the loudness button unless you are kistening at lower tahtn normal levels

the loudness button is there to compensate for percieived dips in the low and high frequecy range at low listening levels, I am a few beer in tonight but I beleive the phenominom is called the fletcher/munson curve

You are correct...dirnk a few bers foe me
biggrin.gif

Jan 7, 2007 at 2:49 AM Post #7 of 22
If you like the sound then by all thats holy, use it. Dont ever do something or not do something because its not a straight wire with gain, or its a contamination of the sound.

What is important is what satisfies your ears and your mind. Purity of signal and the quality of recording are secondary to euphony of the music.

Jan 7, 2007 at 2:51 AM Post #8 of 22
Sansui (remember them?) brought out an amp with a variable loudness control once. I found it one of the better ideas ever tried, since it was far more useful to be able to adjust the loudness compensation to taste.

Jan 7, 2007 at 3:31 AM Post #10 of 22
Our ears apply a reverse-loudness that gets stronger as the volume goes down. This always happens and is very noticable at lower volumes. The loudness button just cancels out this change in frequency response to try to make it flat again. There's nothing wrong with that at all. It's not a dynamics compressor, it's just an equalizer.

Jan 7, 2007 at 3:37 AM Post #11 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by Duggeh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you like the sound then by all thats holy, use it. Dont ever do something or not do something because its not a straight wire with gain, or its a contamination of the sound.

What is important is what satisfies your ears and your mind. Purity of signal and the quality of recording are secondary to euphony of the music.

I agree 100%
smily_headphones1.gif

If your ears are enjoying it, then nothing else matters.

Jan 7, 2007 at 5:55 AM Post #13 of 22
would think that loudness controls apply more to speakers rather than cans.

the human auditory response is closely mimiced by the fletcher/munson curve where the perceived level @ the entire audio range is not flat at certain SPL output.

at normal listening levels using the speaker, loudness control may not be required, unless you are playing your system in midnight where you've got vindictive neighbors that pound on yr door ;p

however for cans, i would think it is not necessary to turn on any loudness feature.

Jan 7, 2007 at 7:43 AM Post #14 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by Herandu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sansui (remember them?) brought out an amp with a variable loudness control once. (...)

Sansui (yes, fondly remembered) weren't the only ones - you'll also find something similar on various old Braun receivers, for example. Most important, I'd like to mention Yamaha, though - 'cause afaik they have the most unbroken tradition to do that and still feature variable loudness today, even on their most recent integrated amps (AX-397/497) and stereo receivers (RX-397/497/797).

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini

Jan 7, 2007 at 9:00 AM Post #15 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by lini /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sansui (yes, fondly remembered) weren't the only ones - you'll also find something similar on various old Braun receivers, for example. Most important, I'd like to mention Yamaha, though - 'cause afaik they have the most unbroken tradition to do that and still feature variable loudness today, even on their most recent integrated amps (AX-397/497) and stereo receivers (RX-397/497/797).

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini

That's interesting to know about Sansui and Yamaha. I also enjoy Sansui's older stuff; whatever happened to them (as I diverge from my own post
tongue.gif
)?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back