I Like the Grado Bowl Pads...
May 25, 2003 at 6:19 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

SteveM324

Headphoneus Supremus
for the sound that is. I have been comparing the stock bowl pads on my RS1's(I bought them new about 5-6 weeks ago) versus the Vwap modified Sennheiser pads. In my system, the modified Senn pads accentuate the highs too much. I think this might be because the modified Senn pads place the ears closer to the diaphragms. I hear a shrillness to some high notes that I don't hear with the stock bowl pads. I do like the comfort of Vwaps pads though. Maybe I need to try the Senn pads without the hole cut into them. Anyone else feel this way? Maybe its just me. I may try the Radio Shack pads as well. Do the Radio Shack pads already have a hole in them?

May 25, 2003 at 6:43 PM Post #2 of 14
If you think the senn pads are to shrill this goes counter to what most everyone else claims to hear. I myself, think the exact opposite; the bowl pads have less bass and the highs seem to pronounced. The senn pads give better bass and the closeness to the ears reduces the highs in my system. I suggest you use a senn pad thats not been modded, as you mentioned. This will clearly knock down the highs. I did this at one time; I liked to use the senns unmodded with grado rs-2s, but only the rs-2s. As a bonus, the senns are even more comfortable stock.
wink.gif

May 25, 2003 at 6:54 PM Post #3 of 14
Hmm... I find the opposite (I follow the majority of people here)

I personally don't mind the bowls too much though, I could just as happily live with them as without... My earlobes appear to be now sandpaper proof...

The modded pads are undoubtedly better for long-term listening though
biggrin.gif

May 25, 2003 at 7:12 PM Post #4 of 14
i think that you are both arguing different sides of the same coin.

without the bowl pads, the driver is closer to the ear, producing a greater sense of bass and midrange and treble, along with soundstage, transients and slam. the farther away the driver is, the more perceived bass (but the midrange gets recessed). the closer the driver is the more perceived midrange. unfortunately the closer the driver, and provided it is firing directly into the ear canal, the harsher the perceived treble. the problem therefore is of OVERALL sound. with the closer driver, the bloated bass is reduced to the same relative level as the rest of the frequency spectrum. it therefore sounds darker (overall sound). but it could also be harsher (because of the high end).

to lessen the high end, you'd have to build up the rear part of the bowl pads (the part that would overhang the area behind the ear lobe) so that the driver would not be directly firing into the ear. (in other words you're angling the driver). cutting the bowl pads at an angle did not yeild me any quantifiable results, due to the headband, which does not have enough later pressure. this is why if you push on the bottom of the driver the sound changes 'for the better'.

you'll find that if you put cardboard around the outer part of the bowl pad, when worn the bowl pad does not compress. remember, there is a certain amount of travel that the bowl pad has. if you can stop the backward travel of the pad, it will not compress, and the driver is held further back, producing a better bass response.

with the softy pads, the driver is angled differently, as it rides along the ear itself. with the bowl pad the back of the ear gets compressed. 6 or 1/2 of dozen.

i just wonder why no one has tried the aviator headset cloth pad covers over their bowl pads. the sandpaper effect is then gone.

my problem was the headband, and not the pads. so i changed it to the Aiwa AK-100. And after taking apart the Beyer DT440s, I think that it could be modified to accept the Grado driver. Unfortunately, it will not angle the driver, as it would put the driver at a un-angled angle (head-on, firing directly into the ear canal). It also flattens the whole ear lobe.

May 25, 2003 at 7:43 PM Post #5 of 14
Although the stock bowls are not as comfortable as the modified Sennheiser pads, they are not painful to me. I can wear the bowl pads for hours without discomfort. I think the modified pads cause me to hear the mid highs too much. High pitch vocals sometimes can become shrill and piercing to my ears.

May 25, 2003 at 7:49 PM Post #6 of 14
With the bowl pads, the drivers are touching my ears. With the modded Senn pads, there's a bit of space between my ear and the driver, so the bass is improved, the midrange is a bit more prominant, and the highs are less aggressive. I like the sound unmodded, but that knocks out a load of detail.

Edit: spelling and grammar

May 25, 2003 at 8:13 PM Post #7 of 14
I prefer the bowl pads.
I find the driver surface touches my ear also with the bowl pads.
I need the emphasis on the higher notes to compensate for hearing loss in those frequencies.
I have no problems with comfort using either pad.
smily_headphones1.gif

May 25, 2003 at 8:25 PM Post #8 of 14
The abbreviated bowl pads did a better job for me on the RS-1, both sonically and in terms of comfort. I detest the stock bowl pads. I'd never even bothered to take a knife to the pads before. Might be interesting to see how it affects lower model headphones.

May 25, 2003 at 9:32 PM Post #9 of 14
FrostyMMB, MR. PD,

if you find that the driver is touching, take a nice piece of 1/8" to 1/4" cardboard ( from any box laying around), cut a 3" round circle and then cut a 2" circle inside that. use scissors to cut just one side (so that it can open up, "C"). then put around the rear of the pad (compress it down a little so that it can fit in the slot). see if that doesn't help. you can use a scissor to cut the outer hole, but i suggest you use an exacto knife for the inner hole.

May 25, 2003 at 10:35 PM Post #11 of 14
Well after wearing my 225s with the bowls for a few weeks, I find them comfortable. Initially they hurt, but I kept adjusting the band from squeezing on the sides of my head/ears. Now I can sit for hours listening to my music (auditioning the RA-1 now).

May 25, 2003 at 10:52 PM Post #12 of 14
I think I've asked this before. But, if you flip the bowl pads around are they the same as flat pads? It seems like the driver is now closer to the ear. If not what is the difference? Just wondering.
cool.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back