I like sound of 4G iPod better than 5G!
Oct 25, 2005 at 11:02 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

ckhirnigs113

Headphoneus Supremus
I know this may come as a rare opinion, but let me explain. I have Westone UM2's which are considered "bass-heavy" IEM's. They sound quite good on my 40gb iPod Photo. The bass roll-off is not noticable to me with the UM2's.

The other sound defects that plague the 4G iPod have been dealt with on the 5G, so this is good news to many. I don't have any of the issues personally, like the bass roll-off, hdd noise, or distortion with high treble (like piano). All these were fixed when I purchased a $5 in-line volume attenuator from Radio Shack. I simply dial up the resistance until all those previously noted problems go away.

Note: I am not using an external amp, I just plug the attenuator into the headphone out and then my UM2's into that.

My roommate just got a new 5G 30gb iPod. I listened to identical tracks on both iPods that were taken from my iTunes library. The songs were too bass-heavy on the 5G, IMO. It sounded muddy to me. This may be good news to all of you with bass-deficient phones: There is more bass on the 5G!

Well this whole episode made me content the iPod I have now. Though the video feature is quite cool! I hope this helps someone out before they take the plunge and purchase a new 5G. -CK

Oct 26, 2005 at 2:38 AM Post #2 of 15
I guess this post applies mostly to owners of the UM2 that are considering the 5G ipod. Maybe it should be in the headphones forum.

Oct 26, 2005 at 12:22 PM Post #3 of 15
Sounds to me like you are just used to the sound of your unit. But I'm not taking the 5g's side. I too have a 4g 60gig photo and have no plans on upgrading til this one dies or if the 6g has something nicer to offer. But give your roomie's unit some time to play with, you might grow to the sound. Btw, do you notice any difference on the highs? I've read some comparisons that the "apple kept on cutting the crispness of the highs every generation" are in effect once again on the 5g.

Oct 26, 2005 at 4:31 PM Post #4 of 15
To my ears the incrase in bass came at some loss in crispness. Another way of putting it, the 5G is less shrill. However, the reduced highs are not as severe (depending on your likings) to get the bass when compared to Creative players that I've had (which I liked still).

Oct 26, 2005 at 5:37 PM Post #5 of 15
Thoughts on this one..

The shures e5s and Um2s which I have owned and still own the UM2s have muddy bass in general compared to the UE-10s. When I recently tried the UM2s a few weeks ago, I was surpired how muddy it was compared to the UE-10s.

I remember at the time SM3 bass boost would really make this worst and I only started using it when I got the UE-10s. As for the 5th Gen ipod. Don't have it but I will comment that if the bass is more in 5th Gen, it will sound more muddy, well because you are already in the mud to some degree.

-Chris

Oct 26, 2005 at 9:44 PM Post #6 of 15
I have tried the Treble Booster EQ on the 5G and it seems a bit more extreme than on my 4G. It seems to get screechy almost immediately. I also tried the bass reducer, and it was interesting to see how similar it was to my 4G with treble booster. The bass was a little shy this way, but it may be to some's liking.

It's true that I am probably just accustomed to the sound of the 4G, but there is no doubt about the increased bass on the 5G. It may be good for some, but it makes my UM2's sound muddier. Like you said, the UM2's are probably a bit muddy to begin with.

I don't know if I will come to like the changed sound of the 5G enough to make the purchase. If I get the 5G it will be for the video, which I find much better than expected! The screen is very sharp and makes everything look better than my 4G iPod Photo.

-CK

Oct 28, 2005 at 7:34 AM Post #7 of 15
I thought I was the only who preferred the sound of the old 4G's to the 5G's. Surprisingly, I find that both the 5G's and the Nanos have a fuller, thicker sound that makes them sound very similar to my old Iriver IHP140. To my ears, the Ipod 4G's (thru my ER4P's) are noticeably more transparent and "cleaner" than the newer Ipod/Nanos. Mind you, I'm not saying that they sound bad, but Apple seems to have changed the sound characteristic of their newer players and I find myself a bit disappointed at the end result.

Oct 28, 2005 at 8:15 AM Post #8 of 15
Interesting findings there and coming from an ER4P user. Some ER4 users have actually complained and upgraded to other phones coz they want to have their bass from the 4g ipods. I guess it would depend on music preferences. But your post is definitely something to think about for classical music listeners. Apple had been cutting the higher frequencies every generation and may have a lot to do with the signal path changes. And Apple's chase for their so called "gold sandard" has led them to make more drastic changes this time. It would be very disappointing if more members with higher-end gear would confirm Shakey's sq observation.

Hope the line-outs still the same, though.

Oct 28, 2005 at 8:30 PM Post #9 of 15
First post (longtime lurker)....

I just got a 5g 60 gigger after my 3g ran out of HD space. I was originally pleased to hear about the reports of slightly increased bass in the 5g.

With Grado SR-60s out of the HP jack, my 3g produced a very clean, detailed midrange, crisp vocals, and excellent highs (w/ --aps mp3). Bass was clean and tight, but lacking (I listen to all my equipment flat). I constantly found myself pumping the volume (practically causing my ears to bleed on particularly shrill passages). I guess my perfect ipod would have the 3g "sound" with a slightly enhanced bass.

When I tested my new 5g, I was pleased with the new bassy sound on crappier, muddied recordings (old U2, most modern rock discs) but was not impressed at all with the lack of detail on good recordings (Pink Floyd, Rush remasters, Clapton unplugged). Seems like the dynamics and impact of the midrange and highs are attenuated, but its really just an "enhanced" and muddy midbass that drowns out everything. It might be a more "fun" sound, but I definitely find all but the bass lacking wrt my 3g. Despite the greatly enhanced bass, I'm not sure I like the new "sound" of the ipod.

I'm thinking I might just keep the old 3g around just for its capabilities with acoustic and classical music.

Oct 29, 2005 at 8:37 AM Post #10 of 15
One option is to think in terms of what is perfectible.

If you go from 3rd or 4th gen to 5th gen, you get a MORE LINEAR output device.

Sure, some headphones that are not very natural (like have boomy bass) will sound worse off, than with 3rd or 4th gen, but at least the situation is perfectible.

You can buy better headphones.

However, if you stick with 3rd and 4th gen, NO AMOUNT of better headphone will make the 3rd or 4th gen iPod more linear. Hence, it is imperfectible.

Of course, if in the end one cares about how a certain player sounds with a certain PARTICULAR set of headphones, then it doesn't matter.

But if one ever wants to improve, to upgrade, then I think it's better to consider the more linear output device (in this case: 5th gen iPod).

This is a common sane advice from both audio engineering and the world of pro audio equipment, I'm merely copying it here.

Oct 29, 2005 at 3:49 PM Post #11 of 15
I assume that all of this refwers to the headphone jack. Has anyone compared the line outs? Do you get more bass from the line out of a 5g than a 4g?

Oct 29, 2005 at 6:50 PM Post #13 of 15
I realize we're all different and have varying preferences, but to me, and with my headphones, the 5G 60's improvement seems immediately obvious. This and the Nano were instant hits with me.

Oct 30, 2005 at 12:57 PM Post #14 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by halcyon
One option is to think in terms of what is perfectible.

If you go from 3rd or 4th gen to 5th gen, you get a MORE LINEAR output device.

Sure, some headphones that are not very natural (like have boomy bass) will sound worse off, than with 3rd or 4th gen, but at least the situation is perfectible.

You can buy better headphones.

However, if you stick with 3rd and 4th gen, NO AMOUNT of better headphone will make the 3rd or 4th gen iPod more linear. Hence, it is imperfectible.

I agree with your "imperfectible" theory, getting the gear to utilize better synergy and as much as possible, getting the linear player.

But, correct me if I'm wrong, I thought that claritry and dynamics of high and mid frequencies are more important in benchmarking your unit since bass can always be improved with high-end headphones (or amp). If you have reduced high and midrange crispness, no amount of headphone driver movement can revive that. But bass can always be remedied with better gear.

Oct 30, 2005 at 7:28 PM Post #15 of 15
I just want to add the 5th is better detail along with bass. Along with other things like noise when adjusting volume (gone), or noise loading songs (gone).

For people that are interest is a DAP that is going to sound better, there are many upgrades. The cnet review talkd about the 5th gen being brighter. Basically the DAC used is new and is different then previous models. Whether you are listening to the line out or jack out, this better DAC is going to have an effect on the sound. Testing with 4th Gen color and 5th into my stereo using the line out the difference in detail was is notible. Bass I thought had maybe alittle more not much. The detail is what sticks out at me.

For those using UM2s, you really need to use a portable amp and line out to bring those headphones to sound the best. If you do this, then you will see how muddy even the 4th gen ipod is.

But orginal question, is the 5th sound better or worst? Having Ulimate Ears UE-10s, Yes it is definitely better. I was waiting for someone with top of the line headphones to review it. Because they could really tell the differences in SQ. I have, it is better.

Using the EQs..

Before in 4th/3rd Gen ipods I didnt use the at all. Distortion in the bass or added distortion in the high treble notes. I think from the clipping of the bass added distortion in high treble area.

5th ipod

There is still some distortion especially on tracks that already have alot of bass or alot of high treble notes. But for tracks that lack bass this option is pretty good. Not sure I am going to use it all the time but they are actually listenable. I especially like the rock setting which adds alittle bass and little high end treble. Works good for older records that don't have the bass or treble is alittle distance. Reminds me of the A900s use to sound. EQ is redone and much better. Similiar to the one in iTunes uses.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back