I like my SR-60s more than my K271S!
Apr 29, 2007 at 5:54 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

Aman

Headphoneus Supremus
Lately I've been doing a lot more headphone listening than normal, specifically because I've been in the process of moving out of state for a couple of years, and the new living spaces restrains my ability to turn my speakers up as loudly as I want to. Today, I've been sharing my preferences between my two favorite headphones, my Grado SR-60, and my AKG K-271S.

I love my K-271S headphones, as I use them all the time when in the studio or at live gigs, and they are extremely comfortable. However, after spending a lot of time with my Grado SR-60 headphones, I've come to realize that the K271 headphones lack a significant amount of clarity and resolution that the Grado headphones provide. Sure, they're not as comfortable, but even the soundstage on my Grados seems more realistic; the K271S headphones seem to have bad height and depth imaging compared to my Grados, which cost pretty much a quarter of the price.

I'm trying to figure out now what all of this means. I have no intention of selling my K-271S, since they are simply too valuable for me in more professional applications. (To anybody who works with audio in a studio, the K-271S are my FAVORITE to use for multiple reasons - I love how the sound shuts off when you take the headphones off your head!) However, it does make me wonder if I should explore other possibilities in the Grado line? I had a pair of Grado SR-225 headphones, but I simply couldn't deal with the comfort. However, if I had the bowls on these SR-60s, I'm pretty sure I would allow the "discomfort" compromise. I love the sound on this thing.

I am familiar with Grado's "house sound", but I've heard that a lot of the higher-end models have exaggerated treble or other qualities which add to the discomfort. I love the balanced sound of my SR-60 headphones, but would love to improve upon it. I am under the impression that the SR-225s have great mid-bass impact, with the same improved resolution and clarity. Although, I do not like how the bass seems to take the forefront with this result. I would probably prefer not buying any RS1 or above headphones, but are there any other headphones in the Grado or Alessandro lineup that can bring the sound I want?

Apr 29, 2007 at 5:57 PM Post #2 of 16
maybe because the grados are open and the akg's are closed? maybe you like open sound more. I know my k240s (semi-open) sound really great. I dont know if I should bother trying the sr60s anymore, I was thinking about it

Apr 29, 2007 at 6:50 PM Post #3 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by ueyteuor /img/forum/go_quote.gif
maybe because the grados are open and the akg's are closed? maybe you like open sound more. I know my k240s (semi-open) sound really great. I dont know if I should bother trying the sr60s anymore, I was thinking about it

Good point.
I you like Grado sound and afraid of over accenutated highs may be Alessandros will suit you better. Another option is 2005 DT880, somewhat Gradoish sound but better comfort and soundstage.

Apr 29, 2007 at 6:54 PM Post #4 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Aman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Lately I've been doing a lot more headphone listening than normal, specifically because I've been in the process of moving out of state for a couple of years, and the new living spaces restrains my ability to turn my speakers up as loudly as I want to. Today, I've been sharing my preferences between my two favorite headphones, my Grado SR-60, and my AKG K-271S.

I love my K-271S headphones, as I use them all the time when in the studio or at live gigs, and they are extremely comfortable. However, after spending a lot of time with my Grado SR-60 headphones, I've come to realize that the K271 headphones lack a significant amount of clarity and resolution that the Grado headphones provide. Sure, they're not as comfortable, but even the soundstage on my Grados seems more realistic; the K271S headphones seem to have bad height and depth imaging compared to my Grados, which cost pretty much a quarter of the price.

I'm trying to figure out now what all of this means. I have no intention of selling my K-271S, since they are simply too valuable for me in more professional applications. (To anybody who works with audio in a studio, the K-271S are my FAVORITE to use for multiple reasons - I love how the sound shuts off when you take the headphones off your head!) However, it does make me wonder if I should explore other possibilities in the Grado line? I had a pair of Grado SR-225 headphones, but I simply couldn't deal with the comfort. However, if I had the bowls on these SR-60s, I'm pretty sure I would allow the "discomfort" compromise. I love the sound on this thing.

I am familiar with Grado's "house sound", but I've heard that a lot of the higher-end models have exaggerated treble or other qualities which add to the discomfort. I love the balanced sound of my SR-60 headphones, but would love to improve upon it. I am under the impression that the SR-225s have great mid-bass impact, with the same improved resolution and clarity. Although, I do not like how the bass seems to take the forefront with this result. I would probably prefer not buying any RS1 or above headphones, but are there any other headphones in the Grado or Alessandro lineup that can bring the sound I want?

ALL Grados have exaggerated treble, even SR60, except Alessandro line. It is the very part of their house sound.

Apr 29, 2007 at 7:52 PM Post #6 of 16
Based on a friend's SR60 and SR80 and my MS1, I'd say the MS1 is a decent step-up from the SR60. Certainly, tamed highs and the such; but I also thought that the MS1 had a somewhat smoother sound. A tad more pleasant to listen to.

Apr 29, 2007 at 8:16 PM Post #7 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by configure /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Based on a friend's SR60 and SR80 and my MS1, I'd say the MS1 is a decent step-up from the SR60.

but the MS2i would be a ($299) big-grin-oh-my-gosh-what-the-heck-is-happening-I-can't-stop-listening-nor-stop-tapping-my-feet-style step-up from the SR60... and I'm speaking from experience as that was exactly the way I went and I have never regretted it one second. What's more, I think I can honestly say I have found my sound, and I won't be switching soon (but the eventual upgrade to the pros might still come in the more distant future)

don't take my word for this, just follow the link in my signature and let yourself be convinced by science

Apr 29, 2007 at 8:19 PM Post #8 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Televator /img/forum/go_quote.gif
but the MS2i would be a ($299) big-grin-oh-my-gosh-what-the-heck-is-happening-I-can't-stop-listening-nor-stop-tapping-my-feet-style step-up from the SR60... and I'm speaking from experience as that was exactly the way I went and I have never regretted it one second. What's more, I think I can honestly say I have found my sound, and I won't be switching soon (but the eventual upgrade to the pros might still come in the more distant future)

don't take my word for this, just follow the link in my signature and let yourself be convinced by science

And the MS-Pro would give you a heart attack step-up from the SR60.

Apr 29, 2007 at 8:26 PM Post #9 of 16
...the Alessandro upgrade-chain-of-doom strikes again!

Apr 29, 2007 at 8:49 PM Post #11 of 16
Quote:

Would you guys say that the Alessandro line does jazz, classical, and world music (indian, middle eastern) well?

- I LOVE Thelonious Monk and Dizzy Gillespie through my MS2i
- classical is great when it's chamber music and/or strings-driven music (the Cello suites by Bach performed by Viviane Spanoghe on an old instrument with metal strings just sends chivers down my spine everytime I listen to it) but some grand-scale works (big orchestra / large choirs / organ in churches) can sound a bit claustrophobic as the MS2i still have a rather limited soundstage. Still, I even prefer those kind of works on the MS2i over the A900 I own.
- can't comment on world as I do not listen to that genre really

Apr 29, 2007 at 11:02 PM Post #12 of 16
I found there was less brightness and in fact warmth with the RS-2s vs the RS-1s and of course, they are the lightest of the upper end line up, which equals comfort IME...

Good luck~

Apr 29, 2007 at 11:39 PM Post #13 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Televator /img/forum/go_quote.gif
- I LOVE Thelonious Monk and Dizzy Gillespie through my MS2i

Why, did he sing you a song or something? (Thelonious Monk)
wink.gif
tongue.gif

Apr 30, 2007 at 12:34 AM Post #14 of 16
Quote:

I love my K-271S headphones, as I use them all the time when in the studio or at live gigs, and they are extremely comfortable. However, after spending a lot of time with my Grado SR-60 headphones, I've come to realize that the K271 headphones lack a significant amount of clarity and resolution that the Grado headphones provide. Sure, they're not as comfortable, but even the soundstage on my Grados seems more realistic; the K271S headphones seem to have bad height and depth imaging compared to my Grados, which cost pretty much a quarter of the price

does anybody in the city have various grados out to try?

but point of my posting is this: you can improve everything about the 271's with a better cable, as a completely seperate project from moving up in the g/a line.

andrew can probably describe how the zu mobius will improve them. - ?

i find the stefan audioarts equinox to improve everything some, nothing hugely. but a little soundstage and a little high end can be "a lot" in the overall presentation. they are certainly more refined with the equinox across the board.

Apr 30, 2007 at 2:10 AM Post #15 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by analog'd /img/forum/go_quote.gif
does anybody in the city have various grados out to try?

but point of my posting is this: you can improve everything about the 271's with a better cable, as a completely seperate project from moving up in the g/a line.

andrew can probably describe how the zu mobius will improve them. - ?

i find the stefan audioarts equinox to improve everything some, nothing hugely. but a little soundstage and a little high end can be "a lot" in the overall presentation. they are certainly more refined with the equinox across the board.

Grados for display? I haven't found one yet...

I'm not too sure how about spending more than $100 to improve the cable. I could spend the same amount of money and get a new Alessandro headphone...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back