I Like My Dragonfly Black, but....
Aug 30, 2017 at 12:59 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

GimmeCans

Head-Fier
(Posted this in the wrong area.... sorry.) Anyway:

...It is designed much more with full size headphones in mind, I think. I don't want to take full size cans on the go. It swings 1V into 32 ohms which would split your head open with IEMs like my Ety hf's or Shure 535's. I like the form factor though, and if there was a version (or similar product) with a simple low-output-impedance unity gain buffer out, or less gain, I'd really like that. The problem is that I can only go up to about the third increment on volume on most recordings which makes fine volume adjustment almost impossible. Does what I'm looking for exist? (a passive volume pot between the Dragonfly and the IEMs is out, as it would have a high output impedance). Any suggestions or recommendations?

Aug 30, 2017 at 1:14 AM Post #2 of 8
Well, the Chord Mojo has digital volume control that can be set to very low levels with fine increments, along with super-low output impedance...but it's in a higher price bracket.

What's your budget?

Aug 30, 2017 at 6:12 AM Post #3 of 8
I have the black & the same issue using my Samsung S8, one notch on the volume takes it from too quiet to deafening on apps like spotify or mixcloud. Its more manageable using USB audio player pro but certainly not ideal. I used to own an Oppo HA2 which was amazing however I found it a pain to carry hence moving to the dragonfly,

Last edited:
Aug 30, 2017 at 7:21 AM Post #4 of 8
...It is designed much more with full size headphones in mind, I think. I don't want to take full size cans on the go. It swings 1V into 32 ohms which would split your head open with IEMs like my Ety hf's or Shure 535's.

It's not really voltage output that's the problem but the gain. My Meier Cantate.2 has 13volts peak output, but since its low gain mode is -10dB, IEMs run on it just fine. Depending on what you might find focus more on what people have used a given DAC-HPamp with than just its power output. People use DAPs with 2v or higher voltage from the headphone output and those IEMs run fine.

That said...what are you using with the Dragonfly and those IEMs? Why not just hook them up directly to the smartphone for example?

I like the form factor though, and if there was a version (or similar product) with a simple low-output-impedance unity gain buffer out, or less gain, I'd really like that. The problem is that I can only go up to about the third increment on volume on most recordings which makes fine volume adjustment almost impossible. Does what I'm looking for exist? (a passive volume pot between the Dragonfly and the IEMs is out, as it would have a high output impedance). Any suggestions or recommendations?

https://headfonics.com/2017/07/the-i1-by-fiio/

https://headfonics.com/2016/01/the-k1-by-fiio/

Aug 30, 2017 at 10:56 AM Post #5 of 8
Music Alchemist, maybe $149ish. Don't wanna spend big bucks bc I don't listen as critically on the go as at home, but do want something better than right out of the jack. I remember seeing something kinda similar but with switchable gain but forget what it was.

ProtegeManiac, the problem is that I can only use a small portion of the volume control range and have difficulty making small volume adjustments as a result. They work fine out of the jack, but the sound does improve in some ways with the Dragonfly.

Last edited:
Aug 30, 2017 at 11:12 AM Post #6 of 8
ProtegeManiac, the problem is that I can only use a small portion of the volume control range and have difficulty making small volume adjustments as a result. They work fine out of the jack, but the sound does improve in some ways with the Dragonfly.

Exactly my point about gain beign the problem, not the power. Even my SGS3 used to go from "nearly there" to "TURNITDOWNTURNITDOWNTURNITDOWNFERDALOVEOFPETETURNITDOWN!!!!!" with one press of a button. They managed to fix that in a software update at some point. Is there still a similar problem if used straight out of the headphone jack of whatever the Dragonfly is hooked up to? Because if not then just use that instead of the Dragonfly, especially if they "work fine" otherwise.

For amps you have to look at the gain setting more than the power, because again, in the case of my Cantate, 13v is not a problem even for a 125mW/1dB IEM when its low gain mode is -10dB. An amp that produces 500mW (roughly a third of the output of the Cantate) but has a +26dB gain like the Rega Ear would be harder to use with some headphones than an amp with triple the power but has a low enough low gain setting.

Oct 6, 2017 at 7:39 PM Post #7 of 8
They don't have the same issue right out of the jack (a typical moderately loud listening level would be about 1/2 to 3/4 full scale, depending) but the sound does seem to 'tighten up' somewhat through the Dragonfly, which is why I was looking, The CEntrance Dacport Slim has a gain switch, a similar if slightly larger form factor, and roughly the same price point, so maybe that's the next contender?

Oct 6, 2017 at 8:44 PM Post #8 of 8
Didn't listen to it but there was a new Shozy portable amp/dac at a meet I think it was the Lancea could be something to look at.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back