I like iPods better than Zunes...end of discussion
Dec 7, 2007 at 10:25 PM Post #47 of 69
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dyoel182 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
And the touch is supposed to be a slight step below the classic and nano in terms of sq so I really need to hear the new zune 80.

Yes, I wish someone here at H-Fi would do a detailed comparison between the Zune 30 and 80's sound quality.

Garragehedaldk. I quoted the wrong person. My appologies.
frown.gif

Dec 7, 2007 at 11:46 PM Post #48 of 69
Quote:

Thats contrary to what any reviews about the line out will tell you though.

I'm assuming you are talking about the line out from the ipod and not the line out of the Apple Universal Dock. That's why people use a good IC and Amp to power their headphones. The universal dock line out did nothing for me with an amp or without it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by vranswer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just didn't really care for the mid-bass smushiness slant of the sound sig. Plus, with my E500s I couldn't control volume - player would go from too quiet to way too loud in one step, so could never get enjoyable listening experience.

And Zune is MAMMOTH, ENORMOUS, HUGE. Had to get a construction permit to clip it to my belt. By contrast, my new iPod Touch is sleek and barely noticeable, weighing just over four ounces. It has clean sound sig, very neutral. Might be a little lean using bass-challenged 'phones like Etys or something, but with my E5s and E500s the Touch is beautiful. Great soundstage, solid lush bass, clean highs. Glad you're enjoying the Zune, it's still a solid competitor for iPod. I guess just not my cup of tea.

I'm sure in regards to sound it all depends on the headphones you prefer. Different players are not equal with every headphone. And may I add, sound is subjective as we all know, our ears are all different.

In regards to size, come on now, you're comparing a hdd based unit to a flash unit??? Obviously your needs don't require 30GB of space now huh? My brother has a ipod touch and it is very nice. Almost makes me want one... almost. I have to go with my needs, which are hearing music. I don't need all that other fluff.
wink.gif

Bottom line is know your own needs, and try different units. I was surprised after years of owning every ipod, that I gave another unit a chance. But I know that I won't be totally happy until I upgrade my headphones to the hd650 soon, and give these units another try.
biggrin.gif

Dec 8, 2007 at 12:05 AM Post #49 of 69
Quote:

Originally Posted by Amblin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes, I wish someone here at H-Fi would do a detailed comparison between the Zune 30 and 80's sound quality.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Penchum /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have both the 30 & 80 and tested using the same files, same tube amp and headphones. LDII++ and Senn 580s. The 80 does have better sound quality. The 30 only sounds ok if you use the EQ. I went back and forth with the multiple tracks, over and over again. I don't think there is an doubt that the 80 has better SQ. Those who like the 30 because they like the enhanced bass of the EQ, should keep them. Those that like a flatter but more detailed spectrum, better sound stage and 3D positioning, should pick up an 80. IMHO, YMMV.
smily_headphones1.gif

from How much you like your new Zune thread

Dec 8, 2007 at 12:15 AM Post #50 of 69
Quote:

Originally Posted by stevenjchang /img/forum/go_quote.gif
ya, regardless of what looks better on paper, or any kind of technical argument

iPods make me happy.
other mp3 players do not.

i think this has partly to do with my library being totally married to itunes
and all the espn/news/hbo podcasts i listen to and sync on a daily basis.

anybody else in the same boat? or is it just me?

agreed. we're not saying it's got the best sq or anything, i just like my ipod nano better than any other mp3 player, it's the easiest to navigate, use, looks, favorable acceptance in society, etc.

oh noes i like my mp3 player for its looks, CALL THE WAMBULANCE!!

Dec 8, 2007 at 6:18 PM Post #51 of 69
This thread is stupid...

Dec 9, 2007 at 12:54 AM Post #53 of 69
Quote:

Originally Posted by serpico /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm assuming you are talking about the line out from the ipod and not the line out of the Apple Universal Dock. That's why people use a good IC and Amp to power their headphones. The universal dock line out did nothing for me with an amp or without it.

I'm confused. Wouldnt the line out from any dock be exactly the same since its coming off the same bottom plug?

Dec 9, 2007 at 2:17 AM Post #54 of 69
the line-out dock is coming out from the "charging input" connector... not the headphone out. i hear a huge difference between the lineout and the headphone out... and that was for speaker O_O headphones would probably even more pronounced...

i like my 1st gen nano... 4gb is enough for awhile... battery life sucks, but thats fine with me.

rockbox may be the only thing keeping me away from another player =]

Dec 9, 2007 at 4:44 AM Post #55 of 69
Quote:

Originally Posted by uraflit /img/forum/go_quote.gif
the line-out dock is coming out from the "charging input" connector... not the headphone out. i hear a huge difference between the lineout and the headphone out...

As you should. My question was why would the line out be different from a dock compared to another dock like he made it sound.

Dec 9, 2007 at 6:15 AM Post #57 of 69
Quote:

Originally Posted by decesaro /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well I like cheap woman, and good beer ...... Who's with me
biggrin.gif

Shouldn't it be the other way around? lol

I honestly think that the OP is trying to give himself piece of mind by openly saying that he likes his iPod+iTunes despite its lack of SQ. There are way better options out there in terms of SQ and programs that won't cause your computer to freeze or hang like stupid iTunes. It seems sort of like denial or lying to oneself?

Apple is cool and all I'm glad they made mp3 players popular, but there are better options now in the market. It is a lot like cars, Ford made it popular, but nowadays you can get much better options Honda, Toyota, Saturn, Hyundai etc...

Dec 9, 2007 at 5:19 PM Post #58 of 69
Quote:

I'm confused. Wouldnt the line out from any dock be exactly the same since its coming off the same bottom plug?

Dyoel182, I couldn't afford a ALO or similar IC, so I bought the Apple Universal dock because it had a line out. I tested it out with different headphones and found no difference. I wrote about it in different forums, and several people told me that it wasn't the same as using a IC directly from the ipod's connector below. More of a glorified headphone jack to connect speakers or to a tv. Don't confuse yourself by my comment between the dock connector and the universal dock line out. I thought I was saving some bucks, but it was a waste of money for me.

Dec 11, 2007 at 5:11 AM Post #60 of 69
Quote:

But those plug into the bottom as well, right? The signal you get from the bottom should be the same on any line out since thats where the signal is.

Well, that's what I thought but confirmed it wasn't when I tested it out. I heard no difference and from what I have researched, so did many others. It's a convenience output for speakers, etc. instead of plugging it through the headphone output.

Just don't buy this dock, just get a AOL or similar IC to plug directly into an amp like many users do here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back