I know this isn't a speaker forum, but...
May 25, 2008 at 11:02 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

That dude

500+ Head-Fier
I recently acquired a NAD 317 integrated amp at a steal, $140 in fact. It's a fantastically powerful amp, it sounds smooth and controlled, punchy, clear but forgiving. Great! I thought. But what should I do with my NAD 3020i? Use it as a pre-amp?

I currently got it hooked up like this:

OPPO DV-980H -> Audioquest Silver Anniversary -> NAD 3020i's AUX input -> Lousy RCA from 3020i's Pre-Out -> NAD 317's Main In -> Another Lousy RCA from 317's Pre-Out -> NAD 3020i's Main In. (That's how the manual says to connect them. I've got the speaker cables connected to the 317, and yes there is sound, great sound)

However, is the 3020i a particularly good pre-amp? I like it's musicality which the 317 lacks, but I hate it's muddiness, it's dirty contacts and it's lack of a remote control. I can't use the 317's remote since both the volume and the tonal controls are bypassed. (is that a good thing?). At the moment I am unable to discern a diffrerence between the setups mostly because I can't do an A/B check, and I'm using really crap ICs.

The main questions are: What does a pre-amp do? And should I use the 3020i as a preamp and invest in ICs or sell it away? It's a classic, I know, but I'm a student, so I need the cash. lol.

If you guys can't (or can't be bothered) to help, can you refer me to some other forums that can help? Thanks!

May 25, 2008 at 2:20 PM Post #2 of 9
May 26, 2008 at 2:59 PM Post #3 of 9
I don't understand this at all. If, as you say, the NAD 317 is a "fantastically powerful amp, it sounds smooth and controlled, punchy, clear but forgiving" why are you running the signal from the 317's power amp through "Another Lousy RCA from 317's Pre-Out -> NAD 3020i's Main In"? This means you're running the signal through two power amps, (Is the 317 really an integrated amp) one of which you don't like. I think you should definitely sell the 3020i.

May 27, 2008 at 10:15 AM Post #4 of 9
Ok... My bad. What I'm saying is that I've tried using the 317 alone, I liked it but it sounded a little dry and uninviting compared to the "musical" 3020i. I've just changed the setup and am using the 3020i as a preamp. But I can't tell much of a difference except slightly more bass which is probably due to crappy cables. As for the connection part, it confuses me as well, but that is what the manual said and it worked. It bypassed all the tonal and volume controls of the 317. FYI, the main in and pre-outs of both ends where actually shorted by a connecting metal piece when it is used as an integrated amp.

I just want to know by connecting my 3020i is this manner, what is it actually doing? And should I invest in this setup or get another pre-amp altogether?

Thank you spaceman for your recommendation, I'll look in to that, and thank you lonfident for trying to help me. I hope I've made things clearer.

P.S. Bump...

May 27, 2008 at 2:02 PM Post #5 of 9
What about selling the 3020 and getting a dac? That would certainly improve/change the sound.

May 28, 2008 at 2:27 AM Post #6 of 9
^Yeah, that has crossed my mine as well...

Any recommendations? Preferably ~$300-$350 Bucks...

May 28, 2008 at 1:57 PM Post #7 of 9
passive mod lite dac ah. ask mrarroyo about his. I am getting a very similar one soon.

Oh, do you need a usb dac or?

May 29, 2008 at 2:16 PM Post #8 of 9
I don't really "need" a USB DAC, although that would be a welcomed bonus, I'm currently using a macbook pro but I'm not really using it as a source. I'll most probably be using coaxial or optical outs from my oppo dv980h.

Jun 3, 2008 at 7:31 PM Post #9 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by That dude /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't really "need" a USB DAC, although that would be a welcomed bonus, I'm currently using a macbook pro but I'm not really using it as a source. I'll most probably be using coaxial or optical outs from my oppo dv980h.

The Musiland MD10 is in the $300 pricerange, and has USB as well as optical and coaxial. Supposed to have a nice, warm sound as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back