I know it's been talked, but please help me choose btw Zen and Ipod Classic 80gb
Feb 16, 2008 at 7:29 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

moonsurf

100+ Head-Fier
I have seen too many reviews here. Please for people who has heard both, which one has better sound quality???

I plan to use it with my new HFI-780 which is 35ohm. And, I mostly listen to wav files. So, 32gb is the least I can go for. I did hear good things about Zen, but at same time, I've also heard a lot that in SQ wise Zen is nothing better than Ipod Classic and that Zen has smaller volume. I also heard from many that Classic's SQ isn't as bad as some people say, but rather on good side. Just one thing I hate about Ipod is the iTunes. I think window media player is much better, for me at least much. By the way, could Zen be sync'd with window media player? Please help!!! My new phone is coming Monday. I wanna have something before that. Thanks!!

Feb 16, 2008 at 10:10 AM Post #2 of 16
Well as always, if you can, you should try them out for yourself if you can find a place with demo units. For the iPod, that shouldn't be a problem, but the Zen may be a bit trickier. I've had the fortune of being able to try out both, and I must say that the Zen is a very tempting purchase and imho trumps the iPod in almost every way save capacity (only b/c of the restrictions of flash memory), technical support, and third party support/accessories (cases, fm transmitting units, car kits, etc).

The Classic's SQ isn't terrible by any means, in fact I quite enjoy it when paired with my Grado's, but it all just depends on personal preference.

If there's a possibility of expanding your collection, then I'd say go with the iPod merely because of the capacity. If you probably won't be expanding your library, then the Zen should suffice.

I can't comment on the compatibility with WMP, but I would think that it is possible considering that its cousin, the now defunct Zen Vision M, was able to be synced through WMP.

Hope this helped, and good luck in making your decision!

Feb 16, 2008 at 8:54 PM Post #5 of 16
Thanks, phOrk!

I really don't like iTunes. First, it's slower than WMP. Second, it sometimes has a trouble finding the album arts when I rip music from CD. Third, when played on my desktop, WMP sounds better. However, it's easier to edit tags using iTune. By the way, any comment on Zen SQ? Especially with full size head phones? Thanks, again!

Feb 16, 2008 at 9:04 PM Post #6 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by moonsurf /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks, phOrk!

I really don't like iTunes. First, it's slower than WMP. Second, it sometimes has a trouble finding the album arts when I rip music from CD. Third, when played on my desktop, WMP sounds better. However, it's easier to edit tags using iTune. By the way, any comment on Zen SQ? Especially with full size head phones? Thanks, again!

Sorry, no, I like itunes and have several ipods
wink.gif

chances are if it has a customizable EQ you'll be much more likely to get it to sound the way you like - pretty much every ipod ever made has the worst eq ever, especially for mp3s.

Feb 16, 2008 at 9:14 PM Post #7 of 16
iTunes is the best thing since sliced bread if you have a lot of music. I have a bunch of iPods, each loaded with a different kind of music. Some of them are combinations between different libraries. I'd never be able to organize all that without iTunes.

See ya
Steve

Feb 16, 2008 at 10:10 PM Post #8 of 16
Hey Moonsurf

Not sure if your aware of this or not but you don't need to use any software with the Zen just drag'n'drop through windows explorer, they also accept upto 16gb SDHC expansion cards so storage isn't really an issue either.

Not heard the SQ yet so I can't comment on that...

Feb 17, 2008 at 1:42 AM Post #9 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by MeltedWelly /img/forum/go_quote.gif
they also accept upto 16gb SDHC expansion cards so storage isn't really an issue either.

1. 32GB + 16GB = 48GB. as you are aware, the classic is 80GB and 160GB, so storage could still easily be a factor.

2. the 32GB zen and a 16GB SDHC card would easily run over $350 US, which is the price of the 160GB ipod classic.

2. as of now, the SD memory does not show up in the library of the zen (when you are browsing by artist, album, etc). you need to navigate the media stored on the SD card separate from the media stored on the internal memory.

Feb 17, 2008 at 11:32 PM Post #10 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by zip22 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
1. 32GB + 16GB = 48GB. as you are aware, the classic is 80GB and 160GB, so storage could still easily be a factor.

*Obviously SD Cards are interchangeable so storage is unlimited to certain degree.

2. the 32GB zen and a 16GB SDHC card would easily run over $350 US, which is the price of the 160GB ipod classic.

*Granted the high capacity cards are expensive at the minute but like anything the price will fall in time and I'm sure you can pick up 4 & 8gb cards for next to nothing on Ebay

2. as of now, the SD memory does not show up in the library of the zen (when you are browsing by artist, album, etc). you need to navigate the media stored on the SD card separate from the media stored on the internal memory.

*Personally this wouldn't be a problem for me as I'd have my must have albums in the players 32gb flash memory and use the SD card for new albums that I'm trying out or didn't need to have all the time. Also as your point suggests it seems this issue could be simply resolved with a firmware update

Having said all this I'm not a creative fanboy (although I do think my old Zen Micro sounds great with these new Denon AH-C751's) and I'm still holding out for the new Sony player, more importantly however I would never ever ever consider buying an IPlop...

Feb 18, 2008 at 12:49 AM Post #11 of 16
I am currently using the Zen 32GB with Shure SE530 and I wouldn't say I am not happy with it although I ordered the Kenwood HD60GD9EC to verify the myth (is it really that good?)

I checked the sound of various DAPs displayed in the local Electronic stores with my SHure SE530 and to be frank, I did not find substiantial difference to go crazy over it. The differences are very minute and subtle among these players (Zune, Sansa, Ipod, Samsung, iRiver, Archos, etc) in my opinion. Having said that Zen has quite an advantage over others - it's ultra portable comes in quite large storage (32GB + SD), excellent battery life, easy media managment software, plays good video in rather large 2.5" screen, good sound in par with others, etc.

I am hoping to be blown away by HD60GD9EC with SQ when I get it but eventhough that happens, I will definitely keep Zen for ultra portability and versatility.

Feb 18, 2008 at 1:14 AM Post #12 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Capital R /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well as always, if you can, you should try them out for yourself if you can find a place with demo units. For the iPod, that shouldn't be a problem, but the Zen may be a bit trickier. I've had the fortune of being able to try out both, and I must say that the Zen is a very tempting purchase and imho trumps the iPod in almost every way save capacity (only b/c of the restrictions of flash memory), technical support, and third party support/accessories (cases, fm transmitting un

I'm going to have to disagree with you on the technical support. I tried really hard to get on the phone for technical support for my zen micro. It was out-of-warranty but I know apple will at least talk to you even if it out-of-warranty.

The zen probably did sound better out of the headphone jack than my ipod, but the line-out dock has better SQ than the zen IMO.

Feb 18, 2008 at 1:44 AM Post #13 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by dhc0329 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Having said that Zen has quite an advantage over others - it's ultra portable comes in quite large storage (32GB + SD), excellent battery life, easy media managment software, plays good video in rather large 2.5" screen, good sound in par with others, etc.

The ipod has the same rated battery life (and longer actual life if you look at cnet's tests), same screen size, significantly larger storage, and is cheaper. it is slightly larger (3 cubic inches for the zen and 4 cubic inches for the ipod), but i wouldn't call the zen ultra portable when compared to daps like the stone, the clip, the shuffle, or even the nano.

Feb 18, 2008 at 3:09 AM Post #15 of 16
Thanks for the feedbacks!!! After thinking about it few days.. actually a little more than few days... As for me, I think I will go with Ipod Classic. My situation was that my old iRiver H120 is running out of space. My current music library is 17GB.. so, at the edge of iRiver's 20GB. Also, H120 has been loosing its battery life considerably now days. So, I NEEDED a new player. Zen surely looks like a nice unit, however seems that the SQ won't be much different from Ipod. Zen has 32GB and has a expansion slot, however I think I will be better off with 80GB for the future. Also, to me personally, Ipod looked like a better built product.. just in my eyes. And, I haven't carried a portable amp yet, but seems as Ipod will be better choice if I purchase a portable amp later. Thanks again all!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back