I killed my Sansa Clip+ in less than 10 mins.
Apr 29, 2011 at 9:35 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

WuLFiE

New Head-Fier
Hey all,

I ordered my Clip+ 4GB online for $36. After reading reviews here and elsewhere, I've wanted to try it out. "What a steal!" I thought.

Just got it today and was super excited to begin listening to music and everything.
Well, my front USB panel is busted so I went to get my 4in1 Belkin USB port from the garage. But could not find the AC power adapter made for it. So I found one made by Nokia. Output 3.7vdc, .35A. It says by the AC port of the Belkin 4in1 +5v 2.6A.

I'm no electrician... but the port on the Nokia adapter fit inside and the LED lit. So I thought I was good to go.

WRONG.

I plugged in my Sansa Clip+ right clicked on it and clicked Format, but I didn't want it to erase all of the Folders :frowning2: So I tried to restore it.
I unplugged it and went into the settings to reset to factory. Plugged it back in. It still worked this time I believe. But for some reason it wouldn't detect the hardware. Windows 7 said it couldn't recognize it. So I unplugged it again and tried finding out what version of the firmware i had. Got halfway thru that and was like.. oh I'll just plug it in again and see if it recognizes it this time.

BAD CHOICE.

The Clip+ shut off and would not come back on. No matter what I tried. I called Tech support and they walked me through things to try. Nothing worked.. I must include the device was VERY hot at the mini-usb port and on the click wheel. Hotter than normal for sure!

Did I just kill my Sansa Clip+ in less than 10 mins? Should I try to see if it will start again tomorrow? Or just ship it back for RMA?

Apr 29, 2011 at 9:57 PM Post #2 of 12
biggrin.gif
 its like a tragicomedy.

I say leave it for a overnight charge, pref with a AC to USB adapter, no computer. give it a try tomorrow. and if still doesnt work, ship it back, is applies.

or - might be a good time to try rockbox. actually you just remined me i want to rockbox mine,

Apr 29, 2011 at 9:57 PM Post #3 of 12
Now, the Clip+ has been known to randomly shut down and stay off due to a battery or the odd FW issue or corruption.  Since I update my latest FW on original and latest Rockbox no issues.  however, the heat you describe usually means damaged or broken flash memory or some other component.  The excessive heat you describe is usually the by product of a damaged electrical circuit or component. 

Apr 29, 2011 at 10:04 PM Post #4 of 12
Thanks guys, I'll try to plug it in tomorrow.. IDK if it'll work..

This "Sansa Updater" Doesn't even recognize my clip, let alone my pc =[ I think it'd bricked.. Will probably RMA it via flat rate box to Cali..

OT: Does the Clip+ deliver great sound w/ factory settings or is the Rockbox needed?

Apr 29, 2011 at 10:14 PM Post #5 of 12
I tried the Sansa Updater recently. And while plugged into a USB port the device still grows hotter than when I plugged it in?

Why is this? Is it trying to charge, but there is electrical damage?

May 6, 2011 at 4:42 PM Post #7 of 12
Probably under warranty.don't tell them what happened and get it replaced, buddy.that clip+ is already burning in hell when connected through USB.

May 7, 2011 at 1:52 AM Post #8 of 12

Quote:
Wulfie, any update on the clip?

Yessir, Just sent it in today via USPS Small Flat Rate.. to Newegg's RMA all the way in Whittier, CA. I was busy all week, so I just got to it today. They should receive it sometime late next week I'm expecting. Then I'll probably be issued a new one and get it then next week or week after. =/ So I probably have a few weeks until I get a replacement in my hands. Until then, it's all about my iPod Nano 4th gen! .. lol...

Question for you clip users.. Isn't it hard to navigate your music selection with only 3 lines of text? I've been thinking about this a bit.. and I'm starting to get turned off by it.. Having the iPod's click wheel is definitely a luxury I will miss. However I may just use the Clip+ for the gym.

May 7, 2011 at 2:32 AM Post #11 of 12

Quote:
the UI is lacky. but rockbox is awesome. the amount of options you get is unbelievable. from a complex EQ to change font size (hence more lines). everything is improved, i say give it a shot next time

Alright James, thanks a lot for the tip. Haven't used rockbox yet, but I hear a lot of you here like it. So I will give it a shot when I get my Clip+ in the mail! Thanks for the big tip! =]

Users who are viewing this thread

Back