I killed my PPA. Please help!
Jan 19, 2004 at 9:50 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Akku

Head-Fier
It was working flawlessly but testing the current through R9 to set the bias for class A operation (I finally get the correct resistor value) I shorted something with the multimeter.
Now no sound at all, it is like dead not even a hum.
I guess there is some problem with the op-amp's power supply section. I get only few volts from the power rails for the op-amps (1,3-1,4) and exactly the same dc offset at the output but negative! Between R9 now I have only 0.01 mA, before it was 1,1.
Do I have to desolder and substitute all the active elements of the amp?
Thank you
frown.gif

Jan 20, 2004 at 12:12 AM Post #2 of 7
That blows. You were properly using the multimeter, or did the short come from accidentally touching something next to it?

Jan 20, 2004 at 12:44 AM Post #3 of 7
Quote:

Originally posted by Akku
It was working flawlessly but testing the current through R9 to set the bias for class A operation (I finally get the correct resistor value) I shorted something with the multimeter.
Now no sound at all, it is like dead not even a hum.
I guess there is some problem with the op-amp's power supply section. I get only few volts from the power rails for the op-amps (1,3-1,4) and exactly the same dc offset at the output but negative! Between R9 now I have only 0.01 mA, before it was 1,1.
Do I have to desolder and substitute all the active elements of the amp?
Thank you
frown.gif

Replace the all the FET transistors. the op amp and tle should still be good but thay also could have fried

Jan 20, 2004 at 1:26 AM Post #4 of 7
blipblop:

Yes, I touched something accidentally. The buffers high current supply, I guess.

PPA:

I though about that. What It seems strange to me: all the three channels at the same time? I did something wrong in the left one. Let's hope op-amps are still alive.
Thank you.

Jan 20, 2004 at 2:55 AM Post #6 of 7
Hey, I agree. I just had a snafu with my PIMETA, and the ****ty feelings that develops at the base of your stomach, anticipating the nasty road of troubleshooting, is THE WORST.

I hope you find the answer as quickly as I did.

Jan 20, 2004 at 8:32 PM Post #7 of 7
Thank you, my friends, for your understanding. It is not actually a troubleshooting or debugging but something like a rebulding
frown.gif

I desoldered all the jfets - as PPA advised - and I hope to get a new set tomorrow. Let's hope for the best.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back