I keep seeing these headphones....Are any of them good?
Sep 10, 2004 at 11:34 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Spitzfiya

Head-Fier
Sony MDRV500DJ (The most expensive headphones ive seen at my school, I saw 3 people wearing them today)
Sony MDRCD280 (Ugly phones, I saw some tall person wearing them)
Koss PortaPro (I never seen the guy who wears these with them off!)
Sony MDRV300 (ALOT of people seem to be walking around with these cheap phones)
JVC HA-G11 (My friend uses these, they sound like ass)

I am a VERY happy owner of the Sennheiser HD 497s and since school started I wear them around everywhere. One person said they were a little tacky looking and another said I qoute "holy sh1t nice headphones". So I dunno, they look a little odd but you get used to it. My headphones are totaly intimidated by those agressive looking Sony MDRV500DJ's and its making me kind of "sad"...
frown.gif
I'm wondering if I am right on my assumption that the HD-497s rape the Sony MDRV500DJ's in terms of overall sound quality? I want something to say when or if someone comments on my HD-497s. I haven't heard anything about the Sony MDRV500DJs on this board so It's just a guess, the HD-497s are also a tab more expensive then the Sony MDRV500DJs here in Canada.

So are how do these headphones stack up? Which ones have you heard? make a list if you want :p

Thanks!

Sep 10, 2004 at 11:38 PM Post #2 of 11
Every phone you mentioned is raped by yours ... but there's one exception: The PortaPro. I'd prefer it to your HD497, but that's a matter of taste.
Anyway, it's perfectly reasonable for him to never take em off
wink.gif

-Taurui

Sep 10, 2004 at 11:42 PM Post #3 of 11
Wow i'm acctually considering getting the Porta Pros because thier so cheap! Might be a little more portable then my HD-497s. I don't know if the guy using the Porta Pros understands he has decent sounding Headphones so ill have to ask him. At first I thought the Porta Pros had some sort of tuner strapped to them but I realized its just the design.
blink.gif

But it's good to know looks arn't everything...
very_evil_smiley.gif

I feel better now that I have the best headphones in my school
biggrin.gif
wink.gif

Sep 11, 2004 at 12:17 AM Post #4 of 11
portapro would be the only worthy headphone in that list for me. it sound pretty good for the price, and i wouldnt be suprised if its better than all the other in your list. only downside is that it has open design. good comfort.

off topic: people here says blah blah blah open is not suitable for outside use but 99% of all people still use open headphones. there are very few cheap, overhead, closed, portable headphones that actaully sound decent. the only one i know of for under $50 is the px200, and the sound barely cut it. hd25 for is $140 is not cheap.

Sep 11, 2004 at 12:42 AM Post #5 of 11
I'm guessing the HD-497s and Porta Pros are the ugly ducklings with quality drivers?

Thats kind of wierd but at least now I can wear them with confidence!
wink.gif

So which one do you think looks better? The 80s style Porta Pros or the odd futuristic presentation of the HD-497s?

Sep 11, 2004 at 2:00 AM Post #6 of 11
I second the concensus opinion that the Koss Porta Pro is the only decent headphone on that above list. Every one of the other headphones are a huge, wet steaming pile of you-know-what: They're all REALLY S L O W, with transients that take two months!

Sep 11, 2004 at 7:56 AM Post #7 of 11
I have both the 497s and portapros. The portapros are boomier whereas the senns are clearer.. but maybe too distant. Depends on your musical tastes I guess. I don't like the portapros too much cuz they let in too much sound, more so than the 497s I think, though I never A/B'd them in that way. I think what I need is some canal phones for isolation haha.

Sep 11, 2004 at 9:32 AM Post #8 of 11
avoid the mdrv500's at all cost. i have never used a crappier can. even the headphones they give you in coach on the plane sound better. and will probably last longer too. death to the sony mdr v*00dj range!@!!

Sep 11, 2004 at 10:36 AM Post #10 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Spitzfiya
Wow are they really that bad? They look f-in cool!!!

They really are quite wretched. Why? Because they actually cost way too much money for the overly ordinary sound quality that they deliver: $100+ CDN for something that sounds worse than a lot of headphones that cost half as much.

Sep 11, 2004 at 10:52 AM Post #11 of 11
they sound crap. they break. they break after being fixed. sony's warranty department are rude about them because they have so many complaints. the worst money i ever spent was on mdr v500dj's. i was only 15 and had nfi at the time.

i just bought some ultrasones. they look cool as fk and sound better then they look to my ears.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back