I just want more bass! I know it exists!
Jan 20, 2014 at 6:25 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 27

indopler

New Head-Fier
I have been on the search for some portable headphones with thumping and vibrating bass for sometime. I recently sent back some 400 dollar Ultrasone Pro 900 and now they are priced at 550 don't i feel stupid, could've copped those on ebay and pocketed the 150 dollars. :D any way I feel like the Pro 900 were good with an amp but the bass wasn't really driving. So I sent the amp back too. Next up the Beyerdynamic custom one pros. The bass seems to blanket the sound on these and they are 16 ohm so they actually have a little bit of power un amped. But just that small amount of bass led to a rattle so back they go. I just feel like I am getting ripped off. I have a pair of dt770 pro 80 ohm and they have almost zero thump or force in the bass. even with an amp they just sound terrible, so maybe the e12 isn't the best amp but I feel like I am awash in the midst of a nightmare. someone give me some subwoofers I can strap to my head!! please!! The weird thing is I am completely satisfied with my 100 dollar razer barracuda 5.1 with dedicated bass driver. they are gaming headphones yes, but I have yet to find any cans that can come close to the thick and thumping bass these headphones give me. only problem with them is they're not portable, and they're not about to work with my macbook. I just feel like I'm making this music and I can't even get a good idea of what my bass is doing. I can Hear it, but I can't feel it. I'm willing to spend the money but I just feel like everything is a crap shoot, u just don't know until you try it. Please don't tell me I need to buy the LCD-XC's to feel my bass. thats the last thing i want to hear. lol. 

Thanks in advance, indopler

Jan 20, 2014 at 6:45 AM Post #2 of 27
Skullcandy Skullcrusher
Sony xb500

Lol :D

Jan 20, 2014 at 7:14 AM Post #3 of 27
I just looked up the range on the barracudas 1.5 hz thats low! I don't think the skullcrushers really compare to something like that but I understand where those recommendations come from. I haven't tryed the new "crushers" they are supposed to be better, but I'm looking for something higher quality. really i just want a place to complain about wasting my money on bassshead cans only to discover they have no bass. ie DT770 pro 80, anyways thanks for the response. 

Jan 20, 2014 at 7:41 AM Post #4 of 27
It seems like you're using bass to measure sound quality and vibration to measure bass quality. You are a beats guy, that's what you should be buying until you learn a bit more about sound. You have mainstream ears and accurate audiophile headphones is not for you.

Jan 20, 2014 at 7:52 AM Post #6 of 27
Look at what you're asking for.
  I have a pair of dt770 pro 80 ohm and they have almost zero thump or force in the bass. even with an amp they just sound terrible

You said they sound terrible because they have no thump. That's called using bass to measure sound quality.
 I just feel like I'm making this music and I can't even get a good idea of what my bass is doing. I can Hear it, but I can't feel it.

This is called using vibration to measure bass quality, because you need to feel it to have a good idea of your bass.
 I am completely satisfied with my 100 dollar razer barracuda 5.1 with dedicated bass driver. they are gaming headphones yes, but I have yet to find any cans that can come close to the thick and thumping bass these headphones give me.

This is beats right here, one note bass, vibration, and not much else.

Like it or not you have mainstream ears and these audiophile headphones ain't gonna do it for you. Audiophile headphones is about hearing every note clearly, from the highs to the lows. You rather feel your bass than hear them so beats and skullcandy is your type of headphones. I'm willing to bet you'll love the skullcandy crushers, it's basically a vibrator and it's exactly what you're looking for.

Jan 20, 2014 at 8:34 AM Post #7 of 27
I already own those. pure junk, but actually going in the right direction. I don't think I'm asking too much to feel the beat am I? you're starting to make me feel guilty listening to these bass boosted cans right now..

Jan 20, 2014 at 8:50 AM Post #8 of 27
I'm a basshead, I want a lot of bass from my headphones but there's a balance you have to find. Right now you prize feeling the bass (vibration) over hearing it, it will not sound good to you unless you feel it. That's what beats is all about.

The only thing remotely close to "audiophile'' that I can recommend is the V-Moda Crossfade LP1, than amp the crap out of it with a Digizoid ZO2.
I don't know who recommended the FiiO E12 but that thing is not a basshead amp, the bass boost is pretty weak on the E12 when it comes to quantity.

Jan 20, 2014 at 8:56 AM Post #9 of 27
Mainstream ears? That's assuming in general, society prefers globs of bass and that's simply wrong. You may have a problem with the seal. I couldn't get much bass out of the DT770 because of the seal.

Go with an open headphone that doesn't require a great seal: the Fidelio X1. They've got substantial bass.

Also consider iems or on ear headphones like the Momentum On Ear.

Jan 20, 2014 at 9:01 AM Post #10 of 27
Mainstream ears? That's assuming in general, society prefers globs of bass and that's simply wrong. You may have a problem with the seal. I couldn't get much bass out of the DT770 because of the seal.

Go with an open headphone that doesn't require a great seal: the Fidelio X1. They've got substantial bass.

Also consider iems or on ear headphones like the Momentum On Ear.

Beats dominate the headphone market by a huge margin, why? Because of bass. If society didn't prefer globs of bass than sennheiser would be dominating the headphone market not beats and skullcandy.

Jan 20, 2014 at 9:04 AM Post #11 of 27
Try posting in the bass head thread perhaps

Jan 20, 2014 at 9:25 AM Post #13 of 27
The Skull kandy Aviators are 1/3rd of their original price and have some bass slam. It's a bit bloated but it's an enjoyable listen. If you could listen to the vmoda that was designed for bass and it was trialled and refined using the headfi community. I'd love to see what you think of them because I think you're on the right path with how you want your headphones to sound. Good luck. The Beats Studios that I listened to sounded really impressive too. There is nowhere you should be afraid to go to find what your ears want. Keep listening and keep telling us what you liked and disliked about each phone and I'm sure someone here will find a match for you.
What music do you like? There could be someone out there that's spent years listening to that genre on a set of phones that they're entirely satisfied with. How do you normally listen? On the go mostly or do you spend more time sat down in a quiet room relaxing? What will you be plugged into? Will that change to an ipod when you're on the go for instance?
The more you listen to the better chance of finding the right ones for you.

Jan 20, 2014 at 9:32 AM Post #14 of 27
So you're saying people buy Beats for sound, and that's simply wrong. Its domination of status through great marketing.

People buy them because "they're in".

People buy beats for the bass they don't really care about the rest of the sound, it's pretty obvious and if you don't see it then I suggest you research it.
Bass is the deciding factors for them, it's mentioned in every single positive beats review. Ask any beats fanboy and they'll tell you it's because of the bass. Status is a close second. Skullcandy for example don't have the "status" like beats yet it's destroying audiophile companies in the market because of bassy headphones like the crushers.
There was an article (I forgot where, I read it a few years back) that asked people what they looked for in a headphone and guess what? Bass was number 1.

I don't want to derail this thread so I'll stop here, but if you need more info google is your best friend, I suggest you use it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back