I just receiver the headsave ULTRA home amp
Jul 30, 2003 at 12:31 AM Post #17 of 26
I must agree that Transit sounds much more grand than Supermini but I have yet to burn the amp. Just got it yesterday! So far I have no complain except the size. Transit makes Supermini a peanut, even longer than Nomad Zen in length.

Jul 30, 2003 at 2:27 AM Post #18 of 26
Quote:

Originally posted by LTUCCI1924
DLP
HI: Please get all the upgrades they cost just a little more money. The 2 9 volt batt should be wired in parallel because the grado at 32 ohms need lots of current. Talk to NORM about what headphones you are going to use. I went from using the grado SR-225 at 32 ohms to the shure E2c at 16 ohms and they also need lots of current. This is the secret to this portable amp. You could tell him you want one like he made for LTUCCI1924.

I ordered a Transit based on your praise. I'll be picking it up from the post office tomorrow. I also had it fully upgraded with AD8620, stacked buffers, 2 9 volt batt and he put in a dc jack too (and whatever else is included in the upgrade). It uses the same 24v power supply as the Ultra. With all the upgrades, it brought the price close to what the Ultra cost but with shipping included.

Jul 30, 2003 at 3:45 AM Post #20 of 26
Quote:

iamdone
HI: The dc jack and wal-wart cost about another 50.00.
But I bet the amp will sound great especially when you use the wal-wart. My ULTRA is fantastic fore such a small home amp and the TRANSIT with 2 9 volt batt is a awesome portable amp.

Oh, the price I quoted for the upgrade did not include the price of the power supply, just the dc jack. I forgot to order one from Norm and he gave the part number from Mouser to order it myself. I should be receiving that tomorrow too. I also ordered a NiMH charger and 4 9v batteries to always have a set for replacement.

I actually quoted you to Norm on what to upgrade to and he came back with an amp with the dc jack as part of a complete upgrade.

I'm currently using a supermini v6 and can't wait to hear the difference. I also upgraded my interconnect cable to a Markertek (previously a Xin cable) which makes a noticeable difference on the supermini. It's a little bulky for the supermini but should look fine with the Transit.

Jul 30, 2003 at 3:48 AM Post #21 of 26
Quote:

soupy
HI: Thank you for the kind words and understanding. You should have seen all the very per-tie girls I went though in my day. LOL. Look I am old and this might be my last Harry so I am going at life like a tornado.

Hey, hey, hey.... my mother was born the same year you were, you calling her old? (j/k
wink.gif
)

Jul 31, 2003 at 1:37 AM Post #24 of 26
Well I just received my Transit and have been testing it for about 10 minutes now. I did some quick comparisons to the supermini. Basically the Transit makes the music sound natural and full. The supermini is slightly harsh and sounds a little digital. I am using a Ipod and ety ER4P headphones with the converter cable to 4S.

At first I forgot to use the cable and wondered why I wasn't hearing the Meta42 sound. Like it was all hype. So far it is a big improvement over the supermini and this is with no burn in yet on the Transit. I do not have the power supply yet, so I'm am currently using 2 9v batteries.

I have a small trip to go on, so I'll have some plane travel time to really burn in this amp in. I'll might do a better review when I have put at least 50 hours of use in.

Aug 21, 2003 at 4:01 PM Post #25 of 26
Can you guys do a comparison of the Transit vs. Ultra for me? I am having trouble deciding what to do. They're almost the same size. I'll be mostly using mine with home current rather than battery. The Transit has the nicer price.
wink.gif

I will talk to Norm also.

Sep 8, 2003 at 1:03 AM Post #26 of 26
I'd also like hear comparisons between the transit and ultra, or other maxed out portable metas vs home metas. I'm looking to buy my first headphone amp for my soon to arrive 225's. How much difference in sound quality are there between the two? Although I plan to use it mainly for home use, I'm leaning towards a portable since I'm pretty sure I'll want to upgrade to a better home amp later.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back