I just preferred the 485 above the 595
May 27, 2006 at 12:46 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

dura

Headphoneus Supremus
This morning I went to buy a new headphone; I tried the Sens 485, 515 and 595...and got home with the 485.

The reason was I needed a fun phone for gaming and occasional listening through my Sony nw-hd1).
I tried the phones on my walkman; the superiority of the 595 was clear; clearer sound, more details, more soundstaged, balanced...yet strangely lifeless.
I'm convinced this is because limitations of my walkman, perhaps the ampstage isn't strong enough (because it sounds very detailed yet smooth and musical through my favorites, the Shure E4).
The 485 gave a very pleasant bassy boom; pure distortion of course and unacceptable for audiophile listening on a high-res system, but just what I was looking for occasional trancemusic and Warcraft.
Got it on my head right now, listening through Sonic Stage and it sounds very pleasant, and gaming was really great! rather comfortable too.
The 515 BTW sounded remarkably like the 595, but I gave it just a short listen, no doubts the 595 superiority will only become obviously using a much better source/amp.

So in short, limitations in source and amp made me prefer the 485 above the 595, at 40% of the price (in Holland, resp €80,- and €200,-) and I'm convinced I made the right choice (untill I decide to make a high end bedroom system, but then I'll probably go for the 650, loving that "Senn-sonority").
Better is not always better.

BTW, I also have a PX100 here, and good as they are, they are overhyped; the 485 is clearly superior, sounding much fuller and smoother, as it should be at twice the price.

May 27, 2006 at 1:23 PM Post #2 of 6
Nice - sounds like you made the right choice, not based on mere head-fi hype (or lack of it) but on satisfying your own practical needs.

Anyway, the HD485 can improve with an amp - especially - in the lower end of the spectrum. The headphone out of my Panasonic SL-CT720 PCDP gives it a moderately boomy bottom end. Not so with my Portaphile amp (fed by my home source), on the contrary, everything belonging in the bass becomes clear & fast, without evident exaggeration. Mid-treble resolution clearly improves, too.
smily_headphones1.gif

May 27, 2006 at 1:43 PM Post #3 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrea
Nice - sounds like you made the right choice, not based on mere head-fi hype (or lack of it) but on satisfying your own practical needs.

Exactly!
BTW it was because of your appreciationthread that the 485 made it to the shortlist.

May 27, 2006 at 3:09 PM Post #4 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by dura
BTW it was because of your appreciationthread that the 485 made it to the shortlist.

Lucky me
tongue.gif

May 29, 2006 at 8:57 PM Post #6 of 6
I had 515's... I gave them away.... the HD595 is FAR superior. Now the 515's are ok, the 485 are very good and the 595 are in another level w/ a proper source and amp and thats why I total agree with your statement...
"limitations in source and amp made me prefer the 485 above the 595"
You know my AKG 501 sound bad without a good source and amps
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back