I just pantyhosed my KSC-35
Oct 15, 2002 at 2:25 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

fiddler

Headphoneus Supremus
I got a pair of KSC-35 recently and was relatively happy with them, but there were things that I found annoying. The mids seemed to be clouded by the boomy bass at times, although not severely. I know people have done very similar mods, i.e. the hold-in-the-pad mod. The initial idea of cutting a hole in the pads comes from the idea that the stock Koss pads are too thick and filter too much of the midrange and treble resulting in overpowering bass. But merely cutting a hole exposes the driver to debris, which is not good at all.

And then the idea hit me (actually it was skippy who gave me the initial idea on IRC, talking about modding V6's): you can use pantyhose to cover up the hole.

The result? Definitely more impact and crispness due to the improved midrange and treble response. I plugged them into the modded Corda and was shocked at how close these things get to my HD600. Don't get me wrong, the HD600 is FAR superior in many regards. It still has it beat hands-down in terms of headstage and airiness, due to its better treble extention. Imaging is still only 2 dimentional on the Koss in comparison to the Senn's very 3D presentation. I hear depth on the HD600 while it's quite flat on the KSC-35.
But still, in terms of tonal balance... These Koss cans now come FRIGHTENINGLY close to the HD600. I can safely say that these cans are so FUN to listen to that you forgive them for omitting the details that the HD600 bring out.

I mean after all...

The Koss costs $25 plus the cost of pantyhose vs the $250 or so for the HD600. Does the HD600 sound 10 times better? Hell no! But does that mean I'm going to sell my Senns? Hell no! I guess this is the curse of high-end audio...

Here's a pic.

headphones.jpg

Oct 15, 2002 at 3:09 PM Post #2 of 16
fiddler,

Thanks for a great idea! I tried cutting a hole in my Porta Pro Pads (actually I bought Radio Shack pads to cut up) on a suggestion from Lou which did improve them. However, shortly after I did this I began noticing bass buzzing which I think may be due to hair, and debris getting in them. This issue was brought up in a recent thread.

Now all I have to do is ask my wife to cut up some hose. We'll have to see how that goes over! Otherwise, I'll be making a trip to the lingerie department.

Vince

Oct 15, 2002 at 4:00 PM Post #4 of 16
Even headphones like to dress up sometimes.

Oct 15, 2002 at 5:22 PM Post #5 of 16
Quote:

Originally posted by fiddler
Even headphones like to dress up sometimes.

Oh man, crossdressing cans, now I've seen everything
biggrin.gif

Oct 16, 2002 at 7:26 PM Post #10 of 16
Andrze,

Yes the black panty hose is underneath the stock pads. On the pads I traced a hole around a penny with an exacto knife (I know, not the most brilliant cutting job but I did the best I could at 2 in the morning). The piece of pantyhose isn't exactly round, but it's large enough to have several points where I can secure them to the plastic spikes at the edges that hold the pad in place.

MegaMee,

I'm not noticing a drop in bass as much as I'm noticing a boost in the upper midrange and treble.

Oct 16, 2002 at 9:06 PM Post #12 of 16
Hmm, I think I need to ask my mom for some old pantyhose.. . . I'll just tell her I'm going to use them for headphones. . . wait, scratch that. I think she'd rather have me crossdressing. . .

Oct 16, 2002 at 9:58 PM Post #13 of 16
Andrze,

You'll enjoy the sound of women's underwear.
wink.gif
Feels so nice against the ears...

Oct 17, 2002 at 7:37 AM Post #14 of 16
it's nice to know i'm not the only guy who isn't afraid to experiment on his cans. i'll be doing some serious experimentation after breaking in my sr80's, but my mind would've ran to putting hose on the outside on open phones or putting some fiberglass stuffing on the inside (behind or around the magnet).

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
listening to Dixie Chicks' "Beatin' Around the Bush" now
wink.gif
nice violins
biggrin.gif
definitely a blue grass style.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back