I just ordered a Cary Audio SLP-05...
Dec 1, 2009 at 11:32 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 45

Skylab

Reviewerus Prolificus
...without ever having heard one. I got a deal on a used one I couldn't resist, and it has absolutely all the features I needed in replacing my Krell KAV-250p: balanced and single-ended inputs; all-tube and uses tubes I have a lot of; tube-driven headphone amp; remote control.

Anyone have any experience with the SLP-05, as a preamp, headphone amp, or both? I did a search and got nothing.

o2smile.gif

Dec 2, 2009 at 1:50 PM Post #5 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jon L /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Abe over at AA has posted about it often..

Amp/Preamp Asylum: RE: Audio Research SP16L & Pass Labs X150.5 by AbeCollins

Thanks - that's encouraging - all the reviews have been good.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Audio Addict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This one?

AudiogoN ForSale: Cary audio SLP-05

It should be awesome, especially with your new turntable.
biggrin.gif

YEP - that's the one
biggrin.gif

I would never have shelled out $8K for this, as good as everyone says it is, but $4K was doable, and I have been wanting to move back to an all-tube preamp for a while now.

Dec 2, 2009 at 6:31 PM Post #7 of 45
I had this preamp for about a year. Excellent preamp. Very quiet and sounded great. Headphone input was very good, although the hole in the faceplate was too small to allow for full insertion of the headphone jack (especially with the JVC's and some of my recabled headphones). I had to send it back to Cary for a new faceplate...one with a larger opening to allow for the headphone jack to be inserted all the way.

Dec 2, 2009 at 6:36 PM Post #8 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by 4N6 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I had this preamp for about a year. Excellent preamp. Very quiet and sounded great. Headphone input was very good, although the hole in the faceplate was too small to allow for full insertion of the headphone jack (especially with the JVC's and some of my recabled headphones). I had to send it back to Cary for a new faceplate...one with a larger opening to allow for the headphone jack to be inserted all the way.

Thanks! Actually I am probably OK here - I have a 25' extension cable running from my stereo to the couch (goes under the carpet) - and the 1/4" plug at the pre-amp end isn't too big. The remote volume control being applied to the headphone level will be a godsend for me
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 2, 2009 at 7:30 PM Post #9 of 45
I have had one for about a year. Love the pre amp, headphone amp sounds thin, very detailed. The NOS tubes (8 1940ish 6SN7 GT Sylvania)tightened up the bass with the pre amp. a lot. I would of sold you mine just to lazy to list it! I will sell you the Mono blocks too. I live on a second floor apartment!!!! I don;t know what I was thinking. The remote sucks small cheep plastic thing.

PS with the money, I want a CD player like 4N6s Can't wait to hear it this weekend.

My HD 650/HD 800 all grado headphone...The jacks work fine.

Anything else just ask!
bigsmile_face.gif

preampothermonoblock.jpg

Shot with iPhone at 2009-03-19

Dec 2, 2009 at 8:00 PM Post #10 of 45
I probably have 200+ 6SN7 type tubes, so I am sure I can warm up the headphone amp if you felt it needs it. I'm planning to start with tall-bottle Tung-Sol 6SN7WGT's, and then go from there...

Dec 2, 2009 at 10:20 PM Post #11 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I probably have 200+ 6SN7 type tubes, so I am sure I can warm up the headphone amp if you felt it needs it. I'm planning to start with tall-bottle Tung-Sol 6SN7WGT's, and then go from there...

I will be interested in what you think of the headphone section, I am not impressed. Could you also please let us know how the tube rolling goes?
The Sylvania tubes and the EH, tubes that came with it are all I have tried.

The 8 Sylvania tubes where (with shipping) almost $500.00
confused_face_2.gif
Need less to say when they tightened up the bass I stopped rolling tubes.
But if you find a combination you really think works well I would be willing to give them a try. (unless I decide to sell all this, and buy a killer source for my headphone rig LOL) Were all crazy.

PM. sent!
wink.gif

Dec 2, 2009 at 10:23 PM Post #12 of 45
The nice thing about that amp's topology is the headphone amp tubes are separate from the preamp's, so I can use different tubes in the headphone section if it seems better.

The Sylvania 6SN7GT's you used do sound a little thin, IMO. I'm more partial to the slightly lusher sound provided by the Tung-Sol's I plan to use, but if I need a warmer shoud still from the headphone section, I can go with the Black-glass roung-plate Tung-Sols, or even the grey-glass RCA VT-231.

Dec 6, 2009 at 2:20 PM Post #14 of 45
Thanks John! I am looking forward to actually getting it - it will arrive on Wednesday, it looks like.

This will tap me out for a while. The next thing to consider is a digital source upgrade - which will surely mean a DAC - I just wish I had a better feel for something I felt would actually be worth it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back