I just lost 4972 songs on itunes, someone kill me
Sep 4, 2007 at 5:31 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Dutchess of York

100+ Head-Fier
I tried to manually transfer all my files using the ilounge instructions, everything is listed in itunes, but it says the 'original file could not be found'. My ipod was just wiped. Is there anything i can do????

please can anyone help me

Sep 4, 2007 at 5:37 AM Post #4 of 11
i found the files in the ipod and dragged them into my library in itunes, they were never on the computer, they were all from the ipod. I tried to sync just 3 files, and it started syncing the whole thing, deleting everything on the ipod. Then i could not put the library in the ipod. There are little (!) next to every song in my library

Sep 4, 2007 at 5:44 AM Post #5 of 11
lost as in deleted, or lost as in itunes doesnt know where they are anymore?

that happened to be because i changed drive letter, so what i did was exported the itunes library (with errors), used notepad to do a find and replace on the pathname (G:/Musc/...) then imported the playlist back into itunes

worked for me

Sep 4, 2007 at 5:45 AM Post #6 of 11
before i make a probably expensive call to apple, can you walk me through that?

Sep 4, 2007 at 5:55 AM Post #7 of 11
im at work, but give me a sec and i will install itunes and see if i can remember!

Edit:

Just so we can ensure we do this right, your situation is:

iTunes has a list of all your songs, but with the (!) next to them. When you try to play one it has an error box saying something along the lines of 'I cant find your file, do you want to search for it?'

Meanwhile, all your songs currently reside in folder X.

Sep 4, 2007 at 6:01 AM Post #8 of 11
i just searched my computer, apart from the names in itunes, i dont think the files exist there. Thanks for the help but i need to sleep, first day of classes starts in 5 hours.

Sep 4, 2007 at 6:04 AM Post #9 of 11
Hmmmm (w00t 300th post this is)

You may have lost them on your computer - that is not good. There is a program called GetBackData for NTFS which will help recover off an NTFS HD, but iPod is FAT, so you can try GetBackData for FAT (both aren't free software).

Let me know how it goes
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 4, 2007 at 8:39 AM Post #10 of 11
I have the utmost faith that you will recover your files. So, this post is for after you recover them!

iTunes has a backup feature. It's in the "File" menu, called "Back Up to Disc". You keep feeding it blank DVDs until everything is recorded. I know it takes time and is a hassle, but hopefully you understand why it's important
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 4, 2007 at 10:20 AM Post #11 of 11
Here is a free program to recover lost (deleted) data from a hd or external hd (which is what the ipod is essentially.)
http://www.softwarepatch.com/software/filerecovery.html

Just try not to save any files to the location where the music used to be because it may overwrite some of the data. Most likely all the files are still there on your Ipod at least and if they were on your computer they should still be there as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back