I just listened to my first "real home setup"
Jan 5, 2007 at 8:15 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

Ordeith

100+ Head-Fier
I thought I'd share this with you guys, because I've seen some home audio (i.e non portable) products discussed here before. A friend of mine is buying a home setup, so I went with him to a store outside of toronto (I'm not sure if we're allowed to mention names, I don't want to come off as an advertisement).

What can I say, other than how freaking blown away I was.

I was listening to what the agent claimed to be a preview model speaker from PSB. They were PSB Stratus Towers (two of them). We started with those, without a sub or anything else. They were connected to a marantz 7001, with normal cables, and that was connected to a Marantz DV8300 cd/sacd player (I scribbled down the names on a sheet of paper so I wouldn't forget).

We listened to jazz, I can't believe how great these speakers sounded. Mind you, I don't have much to compare this sensation to, as this was my only real 'home audio' experience to date, but what can I say. I sat in the chair in the middle of the room, it was sheer bliss. My face must have looked like a poker face but my mind was soaring along the notes. I can't believe how just those two floor standing speakers had such a bass response too (clean, crisp). I listened to jazz for a while, then my friend popped in some peter gabriel (lol) and that was fun too. He said that the sound of these speakers was very 'neutral' not 'warm' and I agree - they kind of remind me of my UE10Pros. Songs that I'm used to hearing 'bassy' - due to other setups, came across very clean. I'm not sure how else to describe it.

I posted something like this after listening to my first car audio setup, and it was my first post on this forum (it also caused me to register at this forum). The employee popped in King Kong also, and the matching psb subwoofer and center channel just blew me away. It was incredible. He claimed (this was new to me) that in home theater some people would use those two 'front floorstanding' speakers as the two rear channels as well - i.e not everyone goes for bookshelf or 'weaker' rears. The bass response was crazy, the floor was shaking - I think he said the sub was downward firing, I wasn't really paying attention though. I sat there and just enjoyed the show, and my friend ordered the 7001, the psb sub, and 2x floorstanding speakers. I thought that I'd be content with my portable audio setup but after listening in that room, I really discovered how great a home setup can be also.

I can't wait to get a proper place with the space to setup something like this, and I hope my audiophilish-naive post rekindled some memories from you old timers who probably experienced this kind of new-bliss ages ago, when you first got into the scene.

Oh, and yeah, my wallet is already much lighter after my portable foray, I wonder where I'll end up after I really get into home audio.

I'd be interested (for whoever else has listened to a setup like this) to get some feedback also. Is this stuff considered 'okay' for people who are serious about audio? The employee said he had some martin logans that would blow these psb speakers out of the water, but they were also more than double the price so...yeah. I had such a great response to that setup, I'm wondering how much better home audio can get, to be honest.

Jan 6, 2007 at 1:31 AM Post #2 of 3
My only advice is, match all your drivers for use with surround, the front three channels, this is critical. Meaning use the same series speakers for L/C/R and preferrably for the other channels too.

You want the woofers and tweeters to be matched so they are the same voicing or the image will be badly disrupted when sounds pan through the speakers.

The only other advice is, there is no such thing as too much power for a sub for home theater :wink:.

Jan 6, 2007 at 9:07 AM Post #3 of 3
My first experience of speaker-bliss was with some Wilson Watt/Puppy driven by VTL amps, that thing really put a smile on my face. Sounds like you're having a classic case of speakeritis... you're bound to get it sooner or later if you hang around here.
evil_smiley.gif

Well, what can I say, sorry about your wallet.
icon10.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back