I just killed my AKG K-400
Jul 1, 2008 at 3:01 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 32

Tiemen

Headphoneus Supremus
In an attempt to replace the worn out elastics, I broke some wires in one earcup. Don't have the skills to repair it.
And I didn't succeed in the replacement of the elastics. Those things are attached to a piece of plastic.
Damn it, they were my favorite headphones
mad.gif

May they rest in peace.

I will never, ever open up a headphone again.

Jul 1, 2008 at 5:02 PM Post #6 of 32
One loose white wire is visible, that shouldn't be the problem if I can find someone who can solder.
But it's the earcup where the cable is attached. Lots of wires.
And one of the other wires makes bad contact now, so I have no sound in the other earcup as well, until I move the wires with my fingers. So now, on my head the K400 is completely dead.
I guess it should be recabled.
And still I have to find a way to replace the elastics.

Jul 1, 2008 at 5:16 PM Post #8 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tiemen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
One loose white wire is visible, that shouldn't be the problem if I can find someone who can solder.
But it's the earcup where the cable is attached. Lots of wires.
And one of the other wires makes bad contact now, so I have no sound in the other earcup as well, until I move the wires with my fingers. So now, on my head the K400 is completely dead.
I guess it should be recabled.
And still I have to find a way to replace the elastics.

I believe you'll find that there are only four wires. This isn't a lot.

You may be in over your head, but this repair would take myself or fitz or half a dozen other head-fi folk just a few minutes.

Surely there is someone in the northern EU who can help you out.

Jul 1, 2008 at 5:26 PM Post #10 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by GuyMe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This should be helpful http://www.akg.com/mediendatenbank2/...5d21891b68.pdf

Thanks, but I used that. They tell you how to dismantle, but not how new elastics can be adjusted. Yes, in the earcup it's easy. But not the other side.

Jul 1, 2008 at 5:26 PM Post #11 of 32
I am with ericj on this one - there are several very experienced headfiers in europe and one of them may have some time to help you out. I would recommend that you post in the DIY forum and ask for some help. If shipping to the states wasn't so costly you would many more options..dB

Jul 1, 2008 at 6:18 PM Post #12 of 32
Meanwhile I will try to buy this K400 for under 75euro :p!

Jul 1, 2008 at 6:23 PM Post #13 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by vvanrij /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Meanwhile I will try to buy this K400 for under 75euro :p!

Buy mine, and fix it.
Will be a lot cheaper
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 1, 2008 at 6:32 PM Post #14 of 32
I'm a horrible DIY'er tbh. Not sure if I'm gonna bid more than 60e's though, with the K701 coming my way. I'v never heard the K400, but from what I read it might be good for movies? Good bass?

Jul 1, 2008 at 6:53 PM Post #15 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by vvanrij /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm a horrible DIY'er tbh. Not sure if I'm gonna bid more than 60e's though, with the K701 coming my way. I'v never heard the K400, but from what I read it might be good for movies? Good bass?

I wouldn't waste them on movies. They are for musical pleasure.
This is what I wrote about the K400 in another thread:

"They are really amazing. They can handle any kind of music, with tight bass and enough authority. The clear highs are not shrill. The mids are upfront and warm at the same time.
There's a tonal balance that I never heard before on a headphone. They don't reveal all the details, so they are great with pop and rock, and also bad recordings.

There are more hifish cans for sure, but these are plain fun.
Because you keep on toe-tapping"

And I can add that the K400 is the only headphone that I heard so far, that doesn't have a anoying sibilance. Even the Sennheiser HD580 is too sibilant for my taste.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back