Dec 11, 2009 at 6:34 AM Post #16 of 36
What brew is it? Looks dark and tasty.
smily_headphones1.gif

I prefer this.
VIEW_Baltika.jpg

And I'm not Russian.
biggrin.gif

Dec 11, 2009 at 8:08 AM Post #18 of 36
kind of blue is probably in my top ten most listened to albums... once you listen to it a hundred times, memorize all the solos, it's even more beautiful. the way miles rolls those notes into each other is spectacular. amazing lip control and a lot of half-valving i'm guessing (i played brass for 7 years pre-college). then john coltrane comes in to dazzle as always.

btw... in case anyone isn't aware of this, the song "so what" is a call response song. the bass says:
"dun-dun dun-dun dun-dweh-doo-duh" and then the band responds "sooo what?"
"dun-dun dun-dun dah-dweh-doo-dweh-doo" => "soo what?" .... etc
sort of funny. many different perspectives and interpretations can be taken. i don't know the story behind the song, perhaps someone else does or wants to use the google. i don't atm.
smily_headphones1.gif

edit: i just had to listen to the song... this cd is gonna sit in the cdp again for awhile.
smily_headphones1.gif

edit #2: ya... this cd is definitely hangin out in the cdp for awhile. miles' and coltrane's solos are incredible on freddie freeloader. they tend to give me "ear-gasms" as i saw it called in another thread, lol. when miles hits that high note at 4:17... wow. perfect tone for the song. the thing that separates miles davis from many other trumpets (other than perfecting the dark jazz genre) is the ability to use all sorts of sounds coming out of his trumpet... it's not just pure tones coming out of there. he adds scratch to it at perfect moments to really put his emotion into it and make you feel it down your spine. i truly feel as though the band is talkin to me throughout this whole album. probably nearly 50% of the music i listen to has no words at all (post-rock, jazz, classical, so on). and the ones that do, i rarely listen to the words. i feel it's much more personal to feel the emotion, meaning, and point of the song through the transitions, tonality, and progressions of the song. okay, wow, big rant there. anyways, thank you for reminding me never to let this album go >3 weeks without a listen.

Dec 12, 2009 at 7:01 AM Post #19 of 36
aw, no response? lol. i'm bumpin this thing.

Dec 12, 2009 at 3:49 PM Post #21 of 36
You guys are making me wanna go out and grab that album...
I'm new to all this so could someone just help me out with some advice?

1) Is this an audiophile recording or a "recorded for the mass-market" cd?

2) If i wanna get the exact cd you are listening to, what do I need to tell the salesperson at my local cd shop?

3) I have a pair of sennheiser ie8, pxc450 & mx wf1. Do i have sufficient to cover most genres of music and most "music-appreciation situations" i.e., at home, on the road, in a plane, in the gym, etc? If no, what do you suggest I should add to my collection? I'm willing to spend up to maybe US$300?

Appreciate the advice! Looking forward to "ear-gasms"...

Dec 12, 2009 at 7:14 PM Post #22 of 36
1) well, it was recorded in 1959 and there's a remastered version... it isn't audiophile, probably, but it's very, very good.
2) Amazon.com: Kind of Blue: Miles Davis: Music
3) IMO, you've got a really nice collection. although close, none scrape into the top tier stuff. you can find a pair of hd600's for <$300 if you look. but then you're gonna starts looking for an amp, then a dac, yadda yadda yadda, sorry about your wallet. if you're happy with your headphones, stick with them. if you want a bit more, i suggest some nice open-air headphones like the hd600's.

Dec 12, 2009 at 7:32 PM Post #24 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by mangamonster /img/forum/go_quote.gif
One of my favorites
smily_headphones1.gif

guinness.jpg

Nice head. Where's the Shamrock?

bpc_guinness_shamrock.jpg

Dec 12, 2009 at 7:57 PM Post #25 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by fenixdown110 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
White on white. Mac and K701. Nice match.
smily_headphones1.gif
Just not digging iTunes.

Actually, that looks like a Macbook Pro, which is not white plastic, is a single block of aluminum. The $999 Macbook is white plastic.

Please excuse the off topic, but if you're interested, checkout this cool video:

ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

Dec 13, 2009 at 2:38 AM Post #26 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by etiolate /img/forum/go_quote.gif
1) well, it was recorded in 1959 and there's a remastered version... it isn't audiophile, probably, but it's very, very good.
2) Amazon.com: Kind of Blue: Miles Davis: Music
3) IMO, you've got a really nice collection. although close, none scrape into the top tier stuff. you can find a pair of hd600's for <$300 if you look. but then you're gonna starts looking for an amp, then a dac, yadda yadda yadda, sorry about your wallet. if you're happy with your headphones, stick with them. if you want a bit more, i suggest some nice open-air headphones like the hd600's.

Thanks for the help! So i'm just about to go down the slippery slope huh? At least the cd is gonna be affordable ha ha. I'm ok with spending the money but i'm not so good with this trial and error thing most of you guys go through to find your favorite combi of source, DAC, amp, speakers/headphones, cables, etc. Right now my most frequently used set-up is my Macbook Pro and and my Ipod Nano 3G (the square one). I may be adding a portable amp (RSAs, maybe the predator, mustang or hornet?) and a new Ipod(classic, nano or touch) or a sony x-series soon. As for a home set-up, I am considering a nice little CD player, an amp (maybe my portable amp can do double duty? Not sure if that will work out) and my earphones. Does that sound like a plan to you or am I just being a newbie noob? any recommendation?

Dec 13, 2009 at 3:56 AM Post #28 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by etiolate /img/forum/go_quote.gif

btw... in case anyone isn't aware of this, the song "so what" is a call response song. the bass says:
"dun-dun dun-dun dun-dweh-doo-duh" and then the band responds "sooo what?"
"dun-dun dun-dun dah-dweh-doo-dweh-doo" => "soo what?"

Thanks, Mr. Engl... (my band instructor). And all of you Essentially Ellington clinicians that torture me with syllables...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back