I just got the Pro 750s, and was not impressed. *Revised impressions!*
Jun 3, 2010 at 12:52 AM Post #18 of 18
Whoo, that's hard to say.  The Denons seem perhaps slightly better balanced (less of a bias toward the lower end), but they get pretty uncomfortable after a while.  The Pro 750s have more clamp, but my ears don't touch the drivers, so they're probably more comfortable, long term.  I would compare the two using this analogy:  the Pro 750s are a bull, and the D1001s are a gazelle.  The Pro 750s have strong bass, and an unapologetically powerful sound signature overall.  They'll run you down if you let them.  The D1001s are nimble, agile, and more polite, while remaining very musical, fun and engaging.  I'm still burning the Pro 750s in (~130 hours right now), and I've heard they require 300 or more.  They might be a little better balanced now than out of the box, but it's hard to tell.  I think that I'll end up keeping both of them; additionally, I've got both Denon D2000s and Shure SRH840s coming this week.  If I could combine the lack of clamp of the D1001s, with the long-term comfort of the Pro 750s, as well as the fun musicality of the D1001s, and the lower end authority of the Pro 750s, I think I'd have the perfect headphone.  Indeed, I may be describing the D2000s.  Time will tell.  I might also mention that going from the D1001s to the Pro 750s, there's this weird effect (I'm attributing it to the S-Logic) of the instruments and vocals um, rearranging.  Some come to the forefront, and others move back a bit.  This is also why I'd say the D1001s seem a bit better balanced.  Their soundstage seems to be more...natural, I guess.  Conclusion:  they definitely have different sound signatures, but I don't think I prefer one over the other.  The D1001s are fun, and the Pro 750s have that drop-dead sexy bass.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back