I just got the deal of the month!
May 19, 2004 at 5:39 AM Post #16 of 27
Gawd...

Thats a steal deal shmeal
tongue.gif

May 19, 2004 at 5:50 AM Post #17 of 27
After reading this I looked in the phonebook for pawn shops in my area .. there's only one that's close enough for me to take a chance in .. I called them a few days ago and asked how many used CD's he had and he estimated around 600 ... Guess where I'm heading on my day off?
cool.gif

May 19, 2004 at 8:25 AM Post #19 of 27
Nice grab. Man, you got lucky. Most pawnshops DON"T offer good deals. They guys are mostly pretty saavy when it comes to knowing the price of gear. I've never found a good deal in a pawnshop. It's the thrift stores that can be gold mines.......
smily_headphones1.gif

May 19, 2004 at 8:39 AM Post #20 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by chadbang
Nice grab. Man, you got lucky. Most pawnshops DON"T offer good deals. They guys are mostly pretty saavy when it comes to knowing the price of gear. I've never found a good deal in a pawnshop. It's the thrift stores that can be gold mines.......
smily_headphones1.gif

Yeah, the pawnshop guys usually do their homework and know about the value of most of their items. If they don't know offhand, they'll most likely look up the retail value and adjust their price accordingly. The thirftshops are real goldmines!

On another note, there's a carnival at my highschool every year where a thirft shop of sorts is set up. It's amazing what you can find at these places! I probably got about $1000 worth of vinyl for around $50 because nobody knows the value of good vinyl
smily_headphones1.gif

May 19, 2004 at 2:29 PM Post #22 of 27
Neither the owner of the pawn shop nor the previous owner obviously don't know about Head-Fi....
biggrin.gif

May 19, 2004 at 3:32 PM Post #23 of 27
Great deal, well done!! I got a good deal on my Arcam CD33t. Ended up paying half the new price ($2500 new)) for a nine month old player. Can't even tell it's been used..
smily_headphones1.gif
Bought it from the UK so didn't have to pay any taxes, either...

May 19, 2004 at 5:16 PM Post #24 of 27
This story makes me wonder if something rotten was amis in the pawn shop. Like perhaps the owner/proprietor was hog tied in the back room, while this guy assumed the position and just threw you the stuff out of not wanting a hassle. I mean, EVEN if, the Grados were a throw in as a replacement for missing buds, how could he just do that ?! Crazy...Or maybe the guy is a friend of the owner, and just got it in, and didnt' know where to look up the info...just the most bizarre thing I've ever heard. There's NO WAY that I could ever find a goldmine like that in NYC...people here are way too savvy for that. (or shifty)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back