I just got the Audio-Technica ATH-M40x and I'm disappointed
Dec 31, 2020 at 10:14 AM Post #16 of 19
Sorry to revive this thread, but the 40's are indeed really disappointing. I tested them and the 50's at the shop and they sounded fine to me. I guessed they would sound much better in the quiet of my home but it's even worse. I compare them to my favorite headphones (Somic HM-463 which cost half the price) and they get destroyed in comfort, sound quality and fidelity.
I have actual 8" studio monitors with a pro-grade external sound card for reference so I know what a neutral perfect sound should sound like. The AT's seem to miss a whole range of frequencies and some that are muddied beyond recognition.

Audio Technica is overhyped junk.

No, the M series is junk. Audio Technica actually makes some really nice stuff, just not at that price point.

Dec 31, 2020 at 11:16 AM Post #18 of 19
Here's the problem is that most if not all headphones suck. Period. Regardless of price.

People gush about their TOTL 'endgame' phones. Who wouldn't? After spending that much money, you think the first thing on your mind is, "gee these still suffer from all the inherent problems in placing speakers on your head next to your ears and now I am fully aware of the engineering limitations these companies face"?

We live in a fantasy world.

Still, fantasy worlds are nice to live in.

Dec 31, 2020 at 11:51 AM Post #19 of 19
Here's the problem is that most if not all headphones suck. Period. Regardless of price.

People gush about their TOTL 'endgame' phones. Who wouldn't? After spending that much money, you think the first thing on your mind is, "gee these still suffer from all the inherent problems in placing speakers on your head next to your ears and now I am fully aware of the engineering limitations these companies face"?

We live in a fantasy world.

Still, fantasy worlds are nice to live in.

If you're saying Headphones will never sound as good as real quality speakers in a nice studio/room then I'm with you 100%.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back