I just got my first high-end headphones (HD-595) and one ear sounds louder?!? Help!!
Oct 2, 2007 at 9:55 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

sofakng

New Head-Fier
So I just received my first "high-end" set of headphones: Sennhesier HD-595.

I plugged them in and they sounded awesome but something seemed a little off like the right-ear was more dominant.

After playing with some songs, etc... it DEFINITELY seems like the right-ear is louder. On my sound-card I tweaked the right-ear to play at 65% volume and it sounds a lot better but I'm afraid they are defective.

I bought these because I wanted a good pair for gaming but if these are defective I might just go with the DT-770s (or maybe Ultrasone HFI-450s). None of my local stores carry the Audio-Technica AT-900 or else I would consider them as well.

Are my headphones defective? How can I tell for sure?

*sigh*

Oct 2, 2007 at 10:04 PM Post #2 of 10
Have you tried them with different sources? Plug them in to different things and see if it's the same. Perhaps your hearing is better in the right ear? Otherwise, return them for an exchange?

Oct 2, 2007 at 10:07 PM Post #3 of 10
My wife just confirmed the same thing. I didn't tell her which ear I thought was louder and she said "the right ear is definitely louder".

That confirms what I thought. My other headphones (on the same source) sound normal so I don't think it's my sound source.

Now I'm really, really torn. Do I exchange these for the same ones or go for the DT770s, etc.

I can't believe my luck...
frown.gif

(These HD-595s were mail ordered since nobody within a few hundred miles of my house carries them)

Oct 2, 2007 at 10:19 PM Post #4 of 10
Here is a picture of inside the quieter ear. It doesn't look the same as the louder ear. There is a large patch of glue or something... Should the LEFT ear look this way on the HD-595s?

(Look at the top-left of the headphone)

Oct 2, 2007 at 10:46 PM Post #7 of 10
Thanks for the replies...

@mash: Did the left-ear look like mine? Is that normal?

It scares me if yours had the same problem and you had to tug on the cord. To me these are really expensive ($200), and as I mentioned I'm tempted to get the DT770s instead. I haven't heard those in a while though so I don't remember which ones I liked better...

Oct 3, 2007 at 4:13 AM Post #9 of 10
Sorry dude, I know how you feel. I vehemently hate buying something that's defective. Not only you get the hit of disappointment, but also the joy of wasting more money on returning it (shipping/driving/time)
plainface.gif

At least you didn't go on the route of thinking your ears as the culprit. That one caused me some grief.

Oct 3, 2007 at 4:42 AM Post #10 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by sofakng /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Here is a picture of inside the quieter ear. It doesn't look the same as the louder ear. There is a large patch of glue or something... Should the LEFT ear look this way on the HD-595s?

(Look at the top-left of the headphone)

That bump to the right and the one to the left are both normal. Does only one side have it? On my HD555s only the left ear has that smaller bump at the bottom of the phone.

Oddly enough, it always feels like the left ear is louder than the right on my pair.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back