I just got into this hobby about five minutes ago. Should I buy an RME ADI-2?
Nov 27, 2020 at 12:29 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

The Fink

New Head-Fier
Title pretty much explains it. I’m super new to the hobby, but I‘m already using it as an outlet for my unnecessary shopping urges. Should I get an RME ADI-2, or would that be totally beyond my understanding and unnecessary at this point for me? I have a Modi+Vali combo coming in the mail, but the urge to buy better stuff is already coming for me full force. I have a pair of Focal Clear Pros currently and a pair of Campfire Audio Vega 2020’s on the way. Would I benefit from having the RME and have something to grow into, or should I just pump my brakes and see how I like the Schiit stack?

Nov 27, 2020 at 12:48 PM Post #2 of 8
The RME is an awesome DAC. For what it is, it’s incredible . I use it as my system DAC and listen to it through my Quicksilver Headphone amp

If you are looking for a great all in one box then I highly recommend it.If you are looking for a phenomenal amp the Quicksilver is hard to beat at its price For what it’s worth I bought the amp before the RME but if I only had the RME I think I would be happy with it....it is still a great sounding Headphone section

Nov 27, 2020 at 1:11 PM Post #3 of 8
Wait.

Nov 27, 2020 at 1:16 PM Post #4 of 8
Hold up, if you already got the Schiit stack on the way, I think you should go with that for now. The Adi is awesome, but if you just started, it seems a bit overkill. You won't appreciate it as much now as you probably would later down the road. You already got insane headphones (for starting out) on the way which the Schiit stack will drive perfectly fine. Explore and learn with this and then branch out from there. The "high-end" stuff is mostly about flavor anyway, and you need to actually practice the hobby for a while to know what you like.

Nov 27, 2020 at 3:09 PM Post #5 of 8
Hold up, if you already got the Schiit stack on the way, I think you should go with that for now. The Adi is awesome, but if you just started, it seems a bit overkill. You won't appreciate it as much now as you probably would later down the road. You already got insane headphones (for starting out) on the way which the Schiit stack will drive perfectly fine. Explore and learn with this and then branch out from there. The "high-end" stuff is mostly about flavor anyway, and you need to actually practice the hobby for a while to know what you like.

Thank you for the insight. I think this is the right call, so I’m going to hold off for right now and give myself more time to figure out what I actually like.

Nov 27, 2020 at 7:25 PM Post #6 of 8
Title pretty much explains it. I’m super new to the hobby, but I‘m already using it as an outlet for my unnecessary shopping urges. Should I get an RME ADI-2, or would that be totally beyond my understanding and unnecessary at this point for me? I have a Modi+Vali combo coming in the mail, but the urge to buy better stuff is already coming for me full force. I have a pair of Focal Clear Pros currently and a pair of Campfire Audio Vega 2020’s on the way. Would I benefit from having the RME and have something to grow into, or should I just pump my brakes and see how I like the Schiit stack?
Personally, I don't think it's worth the cost just for sound quality. Perhaps some of the cost is due to the features, but it just doesn't sound any better than an typical/ordinary DAC at a much lower price point. I guess the benefit is being able to save EQ profiles on the DAC, but other than that, I don't think there's really a sonic benefit over the low-end stuff. I think getting a Schiit DAC is the better values for sound.

Due to the hype, I had high expectations of the DAC, but came out disappointed when I heard it.

Basically what I'm saying is, don't expect improvements to sound with ADI-2. Or have high expectation at it's price-point like I did.

Last edited:
Nov 27, 2020 at 7:47 PM Post #7 of 8
I would just say slow down just a bit. Haven’t heard the new Vegas but the old old ones were just fun. Sometimes you just want some bass and they have it. You just don’t always want the Andromeda sound signature and the Vegas are not that but more of a fun bassier sound signature that at times I prefer more than not. Yes the RME is good I do prefer the R2R or Multibit sound myself. Some will disagree and that’s fine but I do think it add’s just a bit of something that something is for each to decide as it’s just a subjective thing.

Nov 27, 2020 at 7:51 PM Post #8 of 8
Thank you for the insight. I think this is the right call, so I’m going to hold off for right now and give myself more time to figure out what I actually like.
Yeah, for the $$, you might want to mess around with tubes for the Vali instead for now; and as good as the Schiit stuff is, you can't put it in your pocket, so you may want a DAP or portable DAC to go for walks around the lovely UofM campus with those Vegas..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back