I just got bit by a scammer.......
Mar 8, 2024 at 10:10 PM Post #61 of 76
It's a bit complicated because a lot of Headfiers (myself included) have worked to build up feedback so we can easily resell our used gear to buy new ones. A lot of times, I don't like the idea of having to pay taxes on sales that are basically me just trying to resell old gear (usually at a loss too) with G&S.
But I do understand that scammers are more frequent than before and all it takes is for someone with little experience in noticing something fishy and then someone gets bit by the scammer once again.
I get the appeal and the use, but once you've been scammed, it just seems wise to set some absolute boundaries. Makes everyone happier. But the real takeaway is that sellers shouldn't pressure buyers to use F&F.

Last edited:
Mar 9, 2024 at 1:03 PM Post #62 of 76
Should we have some second level authorization before posted listing become visible.
Confirmation email or text depending on what one chooses.
That expiring MFA token doesn't solve anything and just plain annoying. Why do I need one to read the forum?

Mar 10, 2024 at 1:53 AM Post #63 of 76
Another lesson: if a seller ever pressures you to use F&F (even if you offer to cover the added G&S fee), run.
I have a bunch of things I have sold through f&f with no issues from expensive trumpets to audio gear. Paypal is being stupid with G&s now on the seller side. So no I don't think that's always the case, but I'm willing to talk over the phone and send pics via text as well.

Mar 10, 2024 at 10:21 AM Post #64 of 76
I have a bunch of things I have sold through f&f with no issues from expensive trumpets to audio gear. Paypal is being stupid with G&s now on the seller side. So no I don't think that's always the case, but I'm willing to talk over the phone and send pics via text as well.
You do you. Just remember that that means you’re asking your buyers to assume all the risk.

Mar 10, 2024 at 12:01 PM Post #65 of 76
You do you. Just remember that that means you’re asking your buyers to assume all the risk.

There is actually a way for buyers to dispute F&F transactions but it involves going the bank route instead of PayPal for a unauthorized transaction charge back, but some banks will be easier than others I would assume.

Mar 10, 2024 at 12:56 PM Post #66 of 76
There is actually a way for buyers to dispute F&F transactions but it involves going the bank route instead of PayPal for a unauthorized transaction charge back, but some banks will be easier than others I would assume.
At that point, you're no longer disputing a PayPal transaction. You're disputing a bank charge, which varies wildly in success rates. Not a risk I'd be willing to take.

Mar 10, 2024 at 3:32 PM Post #67 of 76
FROM THE CLASSIFIED GUIDELINES : "Payment via unprotected methods like PayPal Friends and Family, Zelle, wire, money order, bank transfer, etc is strictly forbidden"

NO FRIENDS AND FAMILY ARE ALLOWED.PERIOD. Pretty easy to understand if you ask me.

Last edited:
Mar 11, 2024 at 9:01 PM Post #69 of 76
How it's enforced I wonder. I have "do not pee" sign on my lawn, but guess dogs cannot read. :smile:
Hey I have a great idea. Why don't you try it first and then come back if you can an tell us what happened.

Just kidding, I wouldn't do it because I don't break rules. But if you really knew somebody here I think it would be fine as long as they don't find out. The wording is very stern tho. Wouldn't want to loose your "Headphoneus Supremus" status and be like me starting over from 2011. I've been here for 24 years. before the name changed to head-fi. They changed my start date and status just because I was away for awhile. Total bummer.

Mar 12, 2024 at 5:11 PM Post #70 of 76
Hey I have a great idea. Why don't you try it first and then come back if you can an tell us what happened.

Just kidding, I wouldn't do it because I don't break rules. But if you really knew somebody here I think it would be fine as long as they don't find out. The wording is very stern tho. Wouldn't want to loose your "Headphoneus Supremus" status and be like me starting over from 2011. I've been here for 24 years. before the name changed to head-fi. They changed my start date and status just because I was away for awhile. Total bummer.
I've done it numerous times, this is why feedback and knowing some head-fiers was important. Now with scammers it's all down the drain. Ironically I got scammed too last year, but was using G&S that time, so was able to recover. But reading some stories here, looks like G&S is not an absolute guarantee of getting your money back, scammers have some ways around.
As for always following rules, you must be German, I guess. :smile:

Last edited:
Mar 13, 2024 at 4:41 AM Post #71 of 76
I've been here for a very long time. I have excellent feedback here as well as many other places selling equipment that range in the thousands to 10k range for one item.

They don't change start dates or status just because yiu have been away for a long time. Either you were banned prior or you lost your credentials and had to create a new account.

I was around before it was head-fi as well, but had forgot my credentials, thus I had to create a new account in 2005.

Sellers get screwed over by g&s all the time when a buyer files a claim after they receive the item.

Last edited:
Mar 13, 2024 at 11:17 AM Post #72 of 76
I've been here for a very long time. I have excellent feedback here as well as many other places selling equipment that range in the thousands to 10k range for one item.

They don't change start dates or status just because yiu have been away for a long time. Either you were banned prior or you lost your credentials and had to create a new account.

I was around before it was head-fi as well, but had forgot my credentials, thus I had to create a new account in 2005.

Sellers get screwed over by g&s all the time when a buyer files a claim after they receive the item..

Sellers get screwed over by g&s all the time when a buyer files a claim after they receive the item.

Sellers get screwed over by g&s all the time when a buyer files a claim after they receive the item..

I never got banned and it's the same name I used back in 1999. I was gone for almost a decade. I would visit but didn't sign in. I'm going to contact the top brass and see if there's a solution. Problem is hardly anyone that's here now was around back then. I remember buying my first pair of Sony CD3000's from I think it was Purk or Sovkiller in 1999 and have loved them since then. I bought another pair in around 2004 here too. So ya they did and they do.

Last edited:
Mar 13, 2024 at 3:02 PM Post #73 of 76
You apparently didn't read all my post. I did not accuse you of lying. I stated either banned or lost ie forgot your credentials ie log in information. There were ways to recover your account info. I was around in 98 and 99 but again as stated I forgot my credentials due to military deployments and such and had to re register in 2005.

Mar 13, 2024 at 3:05 PM Post #74 of 76
You apparently didn't read all my post. I did not accuse you of lying. I stated either banned or lost ie forgot your credentials ie log in information. There were ways to recover your account info. I was around in 98 and 99 but again as stated I forgot my credentials due to military deployments and such and had to re register in 2005.
Sorry your right. Didn't mean to get defensive. Fixed it.

Last edited:
Mar 13, 2024 at 9:35 PM Post #75 of 76
This to me sounds like living knowledge that ought to be passed down from generations to generations. But things happen and people get neglected and stuff like scams can happen. So I want to clarify for all those people who are already wealthy and seeks to become more wealthy by facilitating a war. Those poor people have kids who will grow up deprived of the living knowledge. And they will either become a victim or create the next victim. So I plead to the wealthy to read this thread and restore the victims, what was taken from them and prevent future problems by managing your appetite. To me it is clear rich people start wars and poor people fight them. And everybody feels the pain of the consequences.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back