I just got bit by a scammer.......
Jun 6, 2023 at 10:42 PM Post #31 of 76
And this paticular account as well, which seems to be used by scammers to set a fake "PM" post on fake listings made by other hacked accounts to make the listing seem more convincing.

https://www.head-fi.org/members/chromat1c.427265/#latest-activity

These pair of recent listings for a U12T are also suspicious,

https://www.head-fi.org/classifieds/64-audio-u12t.47965/
https://www.head-fi.org/classifieds/64-audio-u12t-newest-release-complete.48893/

We are in the middle of another hacking/scam wave that seems to target Headfi a few times a year!!!

Beware everyone, the U12T is cursed lol

Jun 6, 2023 at 10:42 PM Post #32 of 76
I want to revisit this thread to report more familiar scammer activity.

This listing here is another typical fake ad (probably copied an old listing with a few edits to make it convincing) https://www.head-fi.org/classifieds/64-audio-u12t.48903/#hfc-comment-71713

The user who created the U12T listing (just like the person who scammed me and like all the other scammers I have exposed recently) is an old account that got hacked and has 0 feedback and the last posts from this account is from 2014.

Remember, these are the things to look for when cautioning yourselfves from potential Headfi scams!
Perhaps you should contact @joe if this is indeed a scam listing.

Jun 6, 2023 at 10:46 PM Post #33 of 76
Furthermore, @Xtri is viewing this thread so the account should be suspended ASAP to ensure no one is taken.

Jun 6, 2023 at 10:50 PM Post #34 of 76
How extensively does Paypal G&S protect? I have sold by that method and funds were almost immediately possible to move in to bank account out of Paypals reach? Or does Paypal "eat" the loss after that + ban account?

Jun 6, 2023 at 10:54 PM Post #36 of 76
Jun 6, 2023 at 11:05 PM Post #37 of 76
I want to revisit this thread to report more familiar scammer activity.

This listing here is another typical fake ad (probably copied an old listing with a few edits to make it convincing) https://www.head-fi.org/classifieds/64-audio-u12t.48903/#hfc-comment-71713

The user who created the U12T listing (just like the person who scammed me and like all the other scammers I have exposed recently) is an old account that got hacked and has 0 feedback and the last posts from this account is from 2014.

Remember, these are the things to look for when cautioning yourselfves from potential Headfi scams!
Good catch, keep doing the Lord's work :).

Seems that the double authentication helped, but they're figuring it out.

Jun 7, 2023 at 12:16 AM Post #38 of 76
If a sales listing doesn't include multiple pics with a post-it note/card with the seller's user name and date written on it next to the item, I don't even bother looking at the listing further. That by itself isn't the end-all-be-all, I know, but it's just a basic prerequisite for me these days. If a seller can't be bothered to take that one little step, then I won't be buying.

Aug 3, 2023 at 4:45 PM Post #39 of 76
Sounding the alarm again, I just witnessed multiple hacked accounts yet again listing $800-1300 items on Classified Fields this week so far. Looks like Headfi is in another one of those periodic scam waves again. Be careful people.

Here is one listing and account I was able to spot,

https://www.head-fi.org/classifieds/64-audio-u12-original-kickstarter-edition.52031/

I tried to find the ones I saw yesterday but it seems these guys can delete their entire listings very quickly removing all traces of their listing history, how are they able to do that?

The listing was for a T+A Solitaire P and the scammer copied and pasted photos from a Czech review website for the T+A

Edit: Found it from history, it's been deleted.

https://www.google.com/url?q=https:...taire.52016/&usg=AOvVaw0_uqGedcOwSZQSeDNpOTzY

Last edited:
Aug 3, 2023 at 5:50 PM Post #41 of 76
Suspect some admin account was hacked in order to do that.

I really hope not, I thought these guys were simply just "reporting" their own listings and having them deleted the old fashion way by reporting their own listings "CLOSED" or "SOLD" but if an admin's account was hacked then that's bad news for sure.

Sep 13, 2023 at 4:12 PM Post #43 of 76
My WTB for a Schiit Bifrost 2/64 went down the same way. I'm now most likely out $500, unless PayPal and I can work to do a bank-level reversal (doubtful). Account (which I won't tag yet since I'm chatting with moderators about this) had 20 years of history here, albeit in bursts (come and went every so many years). +17 Classifieds feedback. Textbook case of someone I'd reasonably trust. Normally I'm a stickler on both ends for G&S but in this case, I was open to F&F for this seller.

"Seller" received funds and then went fully AWOL. Ignored multiple follow-up DMs. Today I finally reported the whole thing to the moderation team who confirmed that around the dates of the transaction there had been third-party access to the account, and I'm screwed.

Never, ever, ever, F&F folks. Not for the most trustworthy accounts on here, even, not with 2FA mandate, not with anything. We all hear about these things happening, but dang does it suck to let your guard down ONCE and get screwed out of a non-trivial amount.

I'm currently on the phone with PayPal; my next escalations if PayPal can't resolve will be my credit union / MasterCard, and finally small claims court.

Last edited:
Sep 13, 2023 at 4:46 PM Post #44 of 76
My WTB for a Schiit Bifrost 2/64 went down the same way. I'm now most likely out $500, unless PayPal and I can work to do a bank-level reversal (doubtful). Account (which I won't tag yet since I'm chatting with moderators about this) had 20 years of history here, albeit in bursts (come and went every so many years). +17 Classifieds feedback. Textbook case of someone I'd reasonably trust. Normally I'm a stickler on both ends for G&S but in this case, I was open to F&F for this seller.

"Seller" received funds and then went fully AWOL. Ignored multiple follow-up DMs. Today I finally reported the whole thing to the moderation team who confirmed that around the dates of the transaction there had been third-party access to the account, and I'm screwed.

Never, ever, ever, F&F folks. Not for the most trustworthy accounts on here, even, not with 2FA mandate, not with anything. We all hear about these things happening, but dang does it suck to let your guard down ONCE and get screwed out of a non-trivial amount.

I'm currently on the phone with PayPal; my next escalations if PayPal can't resolve will be my credit union / MasterCard, and finally small claims court.

So sad this had to happen yet again.....

PayPal is useless when disputing this.

If you paid with a bank, go directly to your bank and file a bank reversal, use the reason, "Unauthorized Purchase" and it will probably work.

That said, looks like you used a linked Credit Card, I'm sure the Credit Card company will figure something out for you.

I wouldn't go as far to say "don't ever do F&F" because that's how me and a lot of people resell gear on here to buy new gear, but I will agree that it is getting too risky especially with periodic waves where scammers hack old Headfi accounts.
You have to thoroughly check their feedback history and post history if you're unsure.

Last edited:
Sep 13, 2023 at 4:51 PM Post #45 of 76
So sad this had to happen yet again.....

PayPal is useless when disputing this.

If you paid with a bank, go directly to your bank and file a bank reversal, use the reason, "Unauthorized Purchase" and it will probably work.

That said, looks like you used a linked Credit Card, I'm sure the Credit Card company will figure something out for you.

I wouldn't go as far to say "don't ever do F&F" because that's how me and a lot of people resell gear on here to buy new gear, but I will agree that it is getting too risky especially with periodic waves where scammers hack old Headfi accounts.
You have to thoroughly check their feedback history and post history if you're unsure.

Worst part is, this user had *recent* Classifieds transactions. From 2023. Positive feedback for years and years and years. Hacked, scammed, and now I get to go chase down a botched F&F (or just eat a $500 loss, if nothing works to recoup). Sigh.

What I should have done, is rather than asking for "a picture" of the device (which I've since gone and reverse image searched, and found that the "seller" copied the picture from another forum where a Bifrost was sold earlier this summer), is to ask for a usernamed and timestamped picture of the device - just like many trustworthy sellers already do, and some other forums mandate. I'll be doing that going forward.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back